Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The good stuff...

[​IMG]

2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to Look Out!, Stanley Turrentine’s first album on Blue Note, recorded on June 18, 1960.
    • Stanley Turrentine - tenor saxophone
    • Horace Parlan - piano
    • George Tucker - bass
    • Al Harewood - drums
    Blue Note CD

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Well this has really taken me for a loop....

4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

If any vinyl heads out there are not fussed about getting the original versions of lps these odd 2 lp partial compilations on Jazzland are a good way to get early ( usually early 60s) good sounding pressings cheaply.

jhershauer likes this.
  5. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What are the Mingus albums w Eric Dolphy?

Now playing midnight at noon. I like Mingus when they are nice and noisy, seemingly about to fall apart. Then it snaps right into form! Like transformers (more than meets the eye)

[​IMG]

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

No, our family lived in Ethiopia from '66 through '68 and Swaziland from '69 to '72. In school I had French as a subject all those years in Africa, and traveled through Europe spending a week in France on the way back to America. I've had teachers who were actually French and one who was French-Canadian. . . I no longer speak French very well, but I can read it a bit.

bluemooze and Erik B. like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This is a good start:

With Charles Mingus

Eric Dolphy - Wikipedia

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG] NP. Lennie Niehaus
    Vol 1 The Quintet

9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I read that as Kim Kardashian at first and well yes I was quite surprised to say the least.

Yesternow and sberger like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When I was a kid, we were on a very tight budget. My mother got me into having bread and milk for breakfast or lunch by letting me tear up the piece of bread and pour milk on it. It was powdered milk. It got soggy real fast, but the fun part was trying to eat it all before it became mush. My sisters still talk about the powdered milk days. I mentioned that my mother once told me she had read that powdered milk had less radioactive Strontium-90 than whole milk (radioactive fallout on dairy farms was a serious issue in the bomb testing days of the late 40's and early 50's), but they said it was all due to needing to save money.

I think I should try a bowl of bread and milk for old time sake and raise a glass (of water) to my Mom.

11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

My mom ( like most moms ) tried to get us to switch to powdered milk in the 1970s. She was crafty. She bided her time until after my brother and I came in from playing road hockey all afternoon. She had put the powdered milk in real milk jugs. Naturally we ran into the kitchen thirsty from 4 hours of road hockey , wolfed down a couple glasses each along with the requisite cookies without even tasting it. She waited tell we were watching tv to ask if we liked the milk and after we absent mindedly nodded yes she claimed victory saying “see you couldn’t tell he difference!!!! It’s just as good!!! We suffered through 6 months of drinking that stuff....
    Edit: I forgot to mention how of course now I much admire and respect that clever strategy.

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I was raised on powdered milk too and basically starved throughout childhood, had horrible headaches. Canned frozen orange juice, too. Really nasty stuff and frozen peas and corn. It's a miracle I survived.

Worst of all, the only two jazz albums in my dad's collection were Kulu Se Mama and a Brubeck record.

Yesternow and frightwigwam like this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My Dad insisted on a certain brand of coffee, which had gone way up in price. My Mom saved a few empty cans of that brand and put the more economical brand in that can. He never knew.

Yesternow and Stu02 like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I never knew what a headache was until I worked for a bureaucracy

sberger likes this.
  15. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Looks like it lost out to Hub-Tones, recorded a couple months before in October 1962, when Blue Note chose a new Freddie Hubbard release in late 1963. And when it came time for another in 1964, they put out the more recent "Breaking Point!" session from May of that year. I also wonder if Hubbard's Impulse! releases in '63-64 might have dissuaded Blue Note from putting out more than one album per year at that time. They probably didn't want the new releases competing head-to-head.

Anything with Wayne Shorter from that period must be pretty strong, though. Does it sound a lot like a Jazz Messengers date?

16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I could've written that.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bureaucracies crush creativity, but they tend to give one a blanket of security. I often wondered which to choose.

Now that I have that false sense of security (long retired), I think I should have chosen a creative life.

But my most creative friend is now homeless.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I have many friends that chose a creative life, some within bureaucracies, some independent, who have homes, and worked harder and became more successful that they say was because they looked forward to getting up and working every day. Doing something just for the sake of making money would've crushed them, they say. I regret not following my creative side further then I did, and believe my life, and my wallet, would've been better off for it. That said, it most likely wouldn't allowed me to the benefits that a stable job did, mostly committing myself more to my marriage and child. And even with that stability there was much room for improvement. But I digress.

scottpaul_iu, bluemooze and Tribute like this.
  19. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I just ordered this one on LP:

Cochemea - All My Relations

AxiomAcoustics and bluemooze like this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

21. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Starting some late night listening with a live Johnny Griffin set, The Man I Love on Black Lion/ORG Music 33.
    [​IMG]

rxcory, Erik B., Starwanderer and 3 others like this.
  22. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

I am a card carrying member of the You Gotta Try ‘Em All school of humor but even I had to let that one pass. :shake:

23. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Wow, that’s chutzpah. I don’t even think Hugh Hefner would have visited the White House in his pajamas.

rxcory likes this.
  24. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

More and more CD's arriving at my house.

So, today I welcomed Ray Draper Feat. John Coltrane ‎– A Tuba Jazz
    [​IMG]

and also 5 CD's from Emily Elbert:
    • Bright Side (2006);
    • Proof (2010);
    • Alive, In Love (2011);
    • Evolve (2013);
    • We Who Believe in Freedom (2018).

So, some jazz and and pop/folk for my ears today.

rxcory, Lonson and bluemooze like this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

rxcory, bluejimbop, Soulpope and 15 others like this.