Terminator: Dark Fate*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Boy, I hope you're right. Terminator 2 set such a high bar, though...

sunspot42, Deuce66 and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Probabl
    probably not.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Yes.

Encuentro likes this.
  4. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It would be nice to have a fantastic Trilogy made out of the franchise.

5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It would just be nice to have the franchise make sense, trilogy or not.

EwaWoowa and Luke The Drifter like this.
  6. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Should have stopped after the first one.

Encuentro likes this.
  7. SandAndGlass

T2 was a good movie. Maybe after that.

I just think that Cameron's efforts would be better served working on the second Avatar movie instead of an old worn out franchise.

Was the public even clamoring for another Terminator movie?

Now we are told that Avatar II is being pushed back yet another year.

8. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I'm still waiting for The Abyss on 4K or Blu-ray. That's a better movie than anything he did after T2.

9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The story was pretty much wrapped up at that point. Everything after the first film was implied, which is why Cameron went right back to the well with T2 and simply remade the original film. That’s not to say that T2 is a bad film. It simply reuses the first film’s proven formula with some character shuffling. Still an entertaining film but vastly inferior to the original.

Billy Infinity and The Hud like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

I think that T2 introduced some interesting new elements and plot twists.

sunspot42 likes this.
  11. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I agree, but most rehashes and remakes do. Unless it’s something like the 1998 Psycho, a scene-by-scene remake of the original, there are almost always going to be new elements introduced. A rehash is like a template, a roadmap for writers to follow when they don’t feel like starting a new story from scratch. T2 isn’t a scene-by-scene remake of the first film, but it follows the same formula.

12. SandAndGlass

I don't know, I think that T2 took the original concept and ran with it. There were plenty of plot twists to separate it from the original.

I would say that the same thinking would Apply to Aliens.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I think there's a significant difference between T1 and T2, in T1 the threat is unknown, Sarah Connor has to undergo a significant change in order to survive. T2 takes place 10 years after events of the first, the world & Sarah changed significantly. The basic premise might be the same, terminator wants to kill John Connor and make sure that Cyberdyne and Skynet happen. It will be interesting to see where they pick up from T2.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. Deuce66

First trailer out this Thursday.

Arnold on Twitter

Since I’m from the future I can officially report that the @Terminator trailer is 48 hours away.

15. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'm not sure anyone from the future should ever be kicked from behind in the present.

16. Deuce66

17. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Five credited for the story, three for the screenplay, plus who knows how many uncredited “fixers.” Doesn’t bode well.

And does anyone know the difference between “&” and “and” when listing a credit?

John K

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Luke The Drifter

So is this set after Judgment Day happens? The poster seems to indicate it. That has potential.

19. Deuce66

Yes, ignore everything that came after T2.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Goyer & Rhodes worked as a team? that's my guess.

neo123 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  21. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I liked the original,loved T2 (an all time classic) and thought T3 was dumb fun with one heck of a twist ending. The other two that came after just were...not good.

I have some hope this will be decent as Cameron is directly involved. I seriously doubt it will match either of the first two though, but as long as it isn't a borefest (Salvation) or ridiculously convoluted (Genysis) it'll be a step up. Of course,Cameron also endorsed Genysis,so we will see. At this point it could literally go either way. I'm most excited to see Linda Hamilton back as Sarah. She is the soul of the first two films IMO.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  22. Luke The Drifter

The first film was gritty and innovative.
    T2 is widely recognized as one of the best sequels of all time.

I honestly cannot even remember what followed, and did not even watch Genysis. With Hamilton and Cameron back, fingers crossed.

Karnak and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

This will go the way of Ridley Scott's recent Alien bombs. Why do these old directors do this? Is the money that enticing? Why ruin their legacy?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Emilia Clarke was a pretty decent Sarah Connor. The story was...okay and of course the trailers ruined the only twist.

I would like to have seen more of that version mainly for Matt Smith's embryonic Skynet.

25. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Clarke was ok as Sarah. However Jai Courtney was a terrible Kyle Reese. (He's generally not a good actor in most of his roles,with his entertaining turn as Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad being the lone exception.)

There were some interesting ideas there and a few decent scenes,but over all Genysis is only marginally better than Salvation, which consider the nadir of the series to date.

That being said,I'm looking forward to seeing this. I doubt it will do significantly better at the box office than the last two films,but if it's at least a good movie this franchise can at least end on a creative high note. If it revives the franchise and begins a new series of films,I'm open to see where they go with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.