Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The only episode that was good this season was John Mulaney, which I thought was great.

Paul J, Deano6 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...which makes me wonder...how that happened at all...:confused:

3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Taken last week after one of the Senate sessions. :)

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Nah. There’s been a lot of good stuff this season.

5. chacha

Which episodes? Maybe I missed them

6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Well, I thought the Emma Thompson show was super funny. I’d need to go home and rewatch a few to give you an all-encompassing answer. Keenan Thompson always has me laughing, and the political stuff has been, ahem, really solid.

But, for me it’s not about episodes, it’s about sketches, films, and news. Sketch comedy shows are anthology in nature, so I judge it sketch by sketch. If an episode has anywhere near 50% funny sketches I consider it to be a success.

I go into each one expecting to not like the music, so that’s not a factor for me. The one act I was looking forward to, Greta Van Fleet, were a massive disappointment. But, it made no difference about how I viewed the rest of the show.

Comedy is hard, and it’s never going to be 100% funny. Go back and look at some original shows - they extremely patchy.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The Liev Schreiber episode was my top of the year..

8. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Last night (Paul Rudd) was pretty bad. Only part I laughed at all was during Weekend Update.

Even the "Abducted by UFOs" (or in this case "Time Portal"), with Kate McKinnon always losing her pants, is getting old. It's a lot funnier with Ryan Gosling.

9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The news was funny. Other than that SNL is like watching Groundhog day. It's the exact same show over and over again, yet somehow it gets less funny with each iteration. Does Lorne Michaels just completely not give a damn anymore?

10. There's been some good moments throughout the season, but that season finale was a stinker. The Leslie Jones segment in Weekend Update (the topic of which I won't discuss here) was far outside the realm of comedy/parody/satire and I was surprised it was included. And I couldn't make out a lot of the lyrics in the opening sketch song so I missed many of those jokes. Speaking of music, having a DJ as a musical guest was a lame idea too.

11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

One of the worst season finales in recent memory. Rudd was a very weak host. Unlike many here I usually like Leslie Jones on the show, but her speech during WU was annoying as hell.
    It will be interesting to see who will be let go in the summer and who will return. I can see Pete Davidson, Alex Moffat and Melissa Villasenor leaving. Ego Nwodim was a bust and should not return as well.

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

There’s no way Moffat and Villaseñor are leaving, but agree on the others.

Overall I thought it was an OK episode with some great moments contrasting with some pretty weak bits. It really felt like they had half of a good show with nothing but leftover ideas for the last half.

Still, I argue if you go back to your average episode from some “golden age” seasons and you’ll see the same number of hits and misses. It was a good season, not the best but certainly far from the worst. I’m interested to see what if any major overhauls happen for its 45th season.

dan c

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I'm guessing Kate or Ady or both will leave. Ady has been underutilized lately but can be so strong when the material is worthy. Same with Kate but they saddle her with the same stuff over and over. Cecily continues to be their secret weapon but again, is only as good as the material she gets. She is a first class sketch comedian of the old school though and she was hilarious in the news segment. I think Keenan is paving the way for his own exit but will be around for at least another year. To me the rest of the cast is just meh. They all have moments but none are what I could call breakout players that they could build a show around, as they have in the past.

chacha and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

You don't know her!

[​IMG]

Shawn, Pete Puma, Dan C and 3 others like this.
  15. So was DJ Khaled supposed to be a real musical guest, or was that the funniest rap parody SNL has run to date?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If you want to cry read this:

In 2019, DJ Khaled's net worth is estimated to be over $35 million.

17. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

That's $36 million more than he deserves.

18. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Boy, that last episode was a bust. And Paul Rudd is good at comedy, so that's completely on SNL.

One thing I've noticed is that the show is resorting to the actors breaking to get laughs. That used to be the ultimate no-no on SNL, as that was considered lame TV. I guess Michaels doesn't care about it anymore.

kevywevy likes this.
  19. chacha

Cecily is always terrific. Does her best with every sketch. So talented. And beautiful.

Dan C, agentalbert and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Ady just signed a new contract, if I am not mistaken. She probably spent some time away from SNL this season because she of her commitment to Shrill on Netflix.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

The politics is one of the hallmarks that has traditionally kept SNL fresh -- Ford, the Bush's, The Clinton's -- all very funny in their own right. This year has had some very good moments.

With Paul Rudd, I expected a much better show. The writers laid an egg this week. And honestly, the musical guests have been meh -- I don't mind rap and I enjoy a newer artist who uses the platform to makes a splash. But only a few this season have come out and given a memorable performance.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Not to get off topic but "Shrill" is SO good! What's she have on Netflix? Nice to know she's got another SNL season.

dan c

23. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Shrill is a great show and you should watch it. I'm glad she's coming back.
    Kate's time is up, however. I'd be surprised to see her back.

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I actually like SNL. I think every episode from the beginning is about 20% good, 60% in the middle, 20% awful. But the politics this year, well I'm just tired of Baldwin's Trump. Every time they roll him out, I cringe. Funny the first time, even funnier when it got under Trump's skin in the real world, but now it's just tired. There's gotta be someone who can do that fresh. I miss the days of Darrel Hammond and Phil Hartman's Clinton, or Ferrel's W.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

He did start out strong but I think Baldwin is getting tired of doing the bit, and it shows. The other non-Baldwin political stuff has had some funny moment too. Part of SNL's broad appeal is that it's always hit the current hot buttons, at least when it's been good. Hammond's Clinton was a perfect match. Loved it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.