CD's Gone By 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know the internet has been with us since the 60s! It was mainly used by schools, research, and the government back then. I mean the WWW as we know it today, where anyone and everyone participates. That didn't come about until the early 90s.

ARK and lightbulb like this.
  2. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Too many people like me hate Spotify and downloads and like to actually own our music. CD's I feel will never go away...

Too many of those big box sets that come out that are mostly CD content.

3. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

I think 88 million CD's were sold in the US last year.......it might be a lot less than 10 years ago but that is still a huge money maker for record companies/artists.

OptimisticGoat, bluesky and JDeanB like this.
  4. Grant

I mean that if we had the internet in the early 90s, people like us would be having the opposite discussion of the vinyl record being on the decline and sounding the alarm about it.

In that respect, people are looking for any morsel of evidence that their favorite music format is not going away.

ARK likes this.
  5. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Glenn Christense likes this.
  6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Nah. Don’t believe it. Very big general statement using only a crystal ball for verification.

Fannymac likes this.
  7. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

The thing is, once download-only is the norm, where is the incentive not to just download from Youtube? Most everything ends up there sooner or later.

WolfSpear, JDeanB and Exotiki like this.
  8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The manufacturing of one CD is pointless.... CD will stay in a niche as long as CD players are on the market.

9. Grant

I have a late 30s-something co-worker that is into K-pop bigtime to the amusement of her husband and kids. She has the memorabilia but she streams all the music.

ARK likes this.
  10. Grant

My computer is integrated with my "quality rig" stereo system. It's been that way since 1998. To me, the computer is just another component like a CD, cassette player, or turntable. The computer replaces the CD and tape deck and is much more versatile.

ARK, serendipitydawg and Starwanderer like this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And don't forget King Crimson. They have been putting out gigantic , multiple disc boxes for the past couple of years.

yesstiles, Archtop and jay.dee like this.
  12. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Hey guys, sorry I’m late. So...what did we decide- are CDs better, are records better or is streaming /downloading better? Can’t wait to hear what the verdict is after 12 pages of discussion...Thanks!

13. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

CDs?...meh...but just try to take my 4 Track Tape...I'll put up quite a fight...:nauga:

14. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Become less popular of course, but there will still definitely be CD’s made next year, especially for reissues. If anything is gonna keep CD’s in production for at least a little while, it’s reissues

ARK likes this.
  15. GregM

GregM The expanding man

16. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

But in that case, why not just download the album & put the download onto a flash drive?

Michael likes this.
  17. PaoloOcco

PaoloOcco Forum Resident

Hi
    I bought cds during artist's concerts and i Think this is an important source of income for non-band artists.
    You buy these cds just because you've seen the concert and would hardly buy a download later.
    I dont Think artists Will give up this form of profit and at the point, i live in italy, for a foreign artist the cd is certainly more comfortable than vinyl to be transport during concerts.

Sajomo, wallpaperman and Toomanydogs like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, but I was referring to one who wants to own the physical product as well...CD!

OptimisticGoat, WMTC and JDeanB like this.
  19. Michael

they're all good for the different reasons...

phillyal1 and lightbulb like this.
  20. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Lessons from 2 generations ago are seldom remembered, understood or acted upon.

Those who don't learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat its mistakes.

lightbulb and jay.dee like this.
  21. Michael

add DVD, Blu-ray players as well that play CDs...

22. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

My father still purchases CDs regularly. However, I don't know anyone my age (17) that actually buys CDs anymore. Heck, from what I've seen, more teenagers are buying vinyl than CDs...

OptimisticGoat and phillyal1 like this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my local store that sells both says very very few buy vinyl that costs more than $1. they want vinyl, but they want it for nothing.

WMTC likes this.
  24. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

True, plus considering the Music Business - which has a history of relatively high turnover of upper management -
    Many executives are very confident that they will NOT repeat the same mistakes of their predecessors -
    Yet may ultimately stumble onto their own.

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

for all intents and purposes, every new album that is released, is released on CD, but not on vinyl.

laf848 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.