CD's Gone By 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

Well I can certainly relate to the "want it for nothing" crowd. $25.00 is a lot to pay for an album - almost 4 hours working minimum wage. So for a teenager...
    Lucky for me, most of what I listen to is 50s-70s, so I've been able to build a massive collection from shopping at yard sales and the like, paying well under a dollar on average for albums. I'm not much of the record store type, unless there's something truly rare that I'm looking for. Otherwise, I'm good with waiting until I find it in the dollar bin. Don't see anything wrong with that!

2. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

It’s already happening.

The download is heading out the door and streaming is becoming the main source of revenue... besides touring, that is.

Top selling songs these days are struggling to hit 100,000 copies in a week. To make a comparison, songs were averaging 200,000-300,000 a week nearly a decade ago at the peak of digital. 50,000-75,000 is a good week in 2019.

3. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

So CD's will be buried in the graveyard of music formats by 2020..When they are releasing this massive Woodstock Box in 38 disc and 2 other versions this summer on CD...give me a break!!
    I heard from a guy,who heard from his cousins brother-in law's,that his daughter's friends dad,who is in the music business,told him that CD's will last til 2022 at least ;)
    Amazon alone still sells 1000's of titles on CD,i doubt they will throw all those in the dumpster after midnight 2019.
    Also as long as there is a market for Box Sets there will be CD's to fill them.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    PepiJean likes this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The next generations can enjoy compressed loud streaming. I think, that is a bad deal.

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was talking about as a mainstream medium that normal people use.

But for new releases, they’re going to be phased out. The people clinging to (mostly) brickwalled plastic discs aren’t the ones seeking out new releases by new(-ish) artists, and that’s what drives the industry. (Or any industry, really)

6. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Exactly, totally agree.

Tyla Pallas (Dogs D'Amour) has self released literally dozens of albums over the years.

At his gigs he has a great merchandise stall with tons of CD's available, but last time I saw him in December, just the one album on vinyl (his latest release).

From that I can take that CD's remain a vital source of income for him and other artists like him.

7. walrus

How is that any different from compressed, loud CD’s? Pop in a recent McCartney album and tell me the CD version of it has any reason to exist.

pwhytey and xfilian like this.
  8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I've already seen this chart. Is this
    supposed to be a counter argument to
    what I said in my comment ? If so, then
    please forgive me for struggling to
    guess at why a chart indicating 52 million
    units compared to a peak 943 million
    units is relevant to my comment in
    particular (?)

9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It is difficult to find first pressings in mint condition today.... for example The David Bowie RCA CDs, and it doesn’t get better. The Golden Age of the CD are long gone. The same happened with the LPs two decades ago. Try to find first pressings of Living Stereo’s or Decca’s in mint condition under 200 bucks. Impossible!

Sebastich likes this.
  10. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

no
    just some stats
    no opinion or argument intended

Crimson Witch likes this.
  11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Fair enough

12. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

There is a third world without great internet. I don't see CDs going away without music distribution to these areas. Downloading a gigabyte of data isn't fun without high speed internet.

13. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

May be the case in particular of that specific label -and indeed many have already moved to a 100% digital strategy. However I don't see an immediate industry-wide move towards the abandonment of physical media (CD and LP). If anything it will happen progressively and over time, but I don't see a complete disappearance of CDs in the next six months.

ARK and Fannymac like this.
  14. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Not if you just have CDs as a hard copy and rip the music onto an iPod :)

asdf35 likes this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

A laughable generalization :cheers:

ARK and amonjamesduul like this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

Sebastich and Paul King like this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

True.

Historically, Music Labels never were able to make business decisions solely without assessment of the business climate, and never just operating in a “vacuum”.
    Here are several examples:

Radio Stations (inc DJs, Airplay, payola, etc)
    Charts (Billboard, Top 40, etc)
    Record Store Chains
    Distributors (demand, efficiency)
    Manufacturers of hardware (components such as turntables, Walkmans, CD players, iPods, etc)
    MTV (video demand, popularity)
    Digital innovations (Music sharing, Downloading, Streaming, etc)
    Evolving technical innovations
    Online retailers (Amazon, etc)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Laibach likes this.
  18. lightbulb

YOU ARE GETTING SLEEPY
    YOUR EYES ARE GETTING TIRED
    WHEN YOU AWAKE YOU MUST BUY CDS

RudolphS and ARK like this.
  19. walrus

Right. But I'm talking about the continued manufacture/release of new CD's. Normal labels aren't suddenly going to start making good-sounding CD's again after 20+ years of loudness war. Of course there will always be a used market...hell, I still see 8-track tapes in antique malls.

20. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Lateral-cut vinyl discs for audio playback are 130 years old this year, but that ain't stopping a significant bunch in this group........

21. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

I've received Soft Ballet's 1990 CD album called Document. It's electro-industrial, but the mastering is wonderful. Everything is dynamic, clear and just at the right volumes - from almost silent to powerhouse, with both the high and bottom end being just right, without any compromises. This would never work on vinyl.

The CD format is great when used right, but I think most people simply don't remember it, or maybe even never experienced it because they were constantly subjected to horrible, crushed CD masterings.

22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I think you can argue with Best Buy dropping cd's and with shelves at Wal-Mart and Target a tiny fraction of what they were 15-20 years ago, and stores like FYE essentially rebranding themselves as "pop culture headquarters" where cd's are only a tiny section of the store, that this is already happening.

I think cd's will always be pressed to a degree, but it will be more specializing on the artist/audience. Perfect example is that all the times I've walked past the cd section at Target and never seeing Ariana Grande's album, despite the fact that the album is one of 2019's hottest releases, points to that, her audience mainly streams and has the album on their phone at their disposal, and a small portion of vinyl lovers deem her a guilty pleasure, so Target has copies of the vinyl, yet the cd is nowhere to be seen. On the other hand, Springsteen and Madonna's upcoming albums will be everywhere that sells cd's because theyare two artists who appeal to a demographic who wants physical media.

phillyal1 likes this.
  23. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I guess I’m ok with it- it gives me a sense of finality- my collection will finally be complete. I won’t buy vinyl(s), pay for downloads, and I’d sooner donate money to a politician
    ( have I mentioned how much I can’t stand them- both parties) than buy a cassette. I’ll be done and can spend what little spare change I have in other things and still have thousands of CDs I already have for the remainder of my existence.

24. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

Let's look at 2020:

- in 2020, 20- year olds (who might or might not be the most hipster-ish music consuming population) in 2020 were born in 2000
    - in 2020, it's 20 years since year 2000 when the CD format started dying due to illegal downloads etc
    - in 2020, it's about 5 years since the modern Vinyl hype came into full spin (let's agree on 2015)
    - in 2020 Vinyl is the norm when someone buys an physical item containing music
    - in 2020 the 20-year old hipsters start finding shoe-boxes in their basements containing their parents old CD's from pre- 2000
    - in 2020 the 20-year old hipsters start scratching their heads, what can you actually PLAY this thing on? (Vinyl player - No, iPad- No, Laptop - No)
    - in 2020 the demand for new CD players starts rising to new heights, Apple launches the new i-CD player with wireless connectiton, Sony, Toshiba, Philips etcetcetc start releasing their CDplayers
    - in 2020 the demand for the physical music norm media known as "Vinyl" sales plunges
    - in 2020 the CD sales skyrocket, Vinyl plants are converted to CD plants

Let's look at 2040:
    - same as in 2020, for each bullet point that contain the words "CD" and "Vinyl" switch places between the words "CD" & "Vinyl"

25. lightbulb

Here’s to hoping The Cycle is as dependable and firm as you’ve outlined!
    I’ll save up for 2040, and plan to buy classic in demand vinyl albums for pennies on the dollar!
    ;)

M2225 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.