Chernobyl HBO Miniseries

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Funk, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ries

ries Forum Resident

I think the showing of the human cost is linked to the story of the scientists trying to battle USSR bureaucracy. So we see the firefighters and their families and them facing the direct consequences of what happens if you send unprotected firemen into a nuclear fire. I think it works very well, also to show what those scientists are trying avoid on a much larger scale.

I love the fact is that the science is basicly the hero in this series, to persue the cause even at those people deathbeds.

goodiesguy, SAMAUL, Dr. Funk and 2 others like this.
  2. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Love it ! Good acting and, in a story that I thought I knew, tons of suspense. Jared Harris really carving out a nice acting nitch for his own self

Ghostworld, mindblanking and Dr. Funk like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I loved Jared Harris. He's like the new John Hurt! We need more baggy-eyed, cigarette sucking, pasty-complexion actors! For gosh sakes, it actually make characters look real and human when they not all GMO-perfect bodies. MORE UGLIES IN THE MOVIES!! I've always said that. I had no idea he was Richard Harris' son. Now how the hell did he inherit that gravel-paved voice, too. Is that possible? He was terrific in this.

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think Jared looks a lot like his dad and sounds similar to him, too (as you noted).

5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I also had no idea he was Richard Harris's son, but now it's been pointed out it's incredibly obvious!

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think the most annoying character in this whole series is the one played by Jessie Buckley. I get that she loves her husband and wants to be with him, but DUH! How many times is she told to not touch him or stay away from him and she doesn’t? She even denies she’s pregnant.

By the way, how did Emily Watson’s character know she was pregnant ? Had they interacted before? I don’t recall it.

Ghostworld and Dr. Funk like this.
  7. Phil Tate

But at the time, did people really know that much about radiation poisoning? I know she'd been warned not to touch him, but would she really have fully understood how dangerous he was? Maybe she just didn't think she could "catch" a burn. And as you say, she loved him. If someone you love is in pain, all you want to do is comfort them.
    I wondered that at first - I presume she just inferred it from the way they were both touching her belly.

Dr. Funk, Frozensoda and GodShifter like this.
  8. Phil Tate

9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

The effects of radiation poisoning were well known since Hiroshima. That is, scientists and worldly folks knew. A young couple in a Ukrainian town during the Soviet era might not have known. And, they were obviously young and naive. As you said, they were in love.

Phil Tate and Dr. Funk like this.
  10. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Currently on Episode 2, and am very impressed. Although it didn't take long for my keen eye and a google search to realise they re-created the Soviet News Bulletin, I guess a high-quality master tape wasn't available. But it's pretty damn close! IIRC the first episode had them watching a genuine ABC News bulletin as apposed to a re-creation.

[​IMG]

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust Thread Starter

Very cool.

12. ries

ries Forum Resident

I think its mentioned already but the Chernobyl podcast is a great insight into making of the series. They discuss each episode with the creator of the series Craig Mazin.

here is the one for episode 3

Phil Tate likes this.
  13. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

There's an excellent BBC Horizon doc from 1996 'Inside Chernobyl's Sarcophagus' featuring footage and interviews with the actual 'complex investigation team'

well worth watching as background..

ries likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Nuclear power is the only solution that is viable on world wise basis to effectively deal with an alternate energy source that can replace fossil fuels.

Though solar and wind are also alternatives, technology is not advanced enough to handle the task.

Right you are...

And here we are all these years later and the politicians still refuse to understand science.

All these people that are up in arms about global warming are the same ones who were against nuclear energy back then.

Johnny Action and tman53 like this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Only problem is the waste.....
    I remember, a few years ago, hearing about a young man in Reno, who had the idea of actually USING the 'waste' as a battery!!
    Encasing the 'waste' in a diamond casing, we could not only use it as an energy source, it would make the waste worth something.
    Sadly, considering I haven't about it since that one time I heard about, I might've all been a 'folly'.

16. SandAndGlass

Nuclear waste is not the problem that it is made out to be.

France is a relatively small country as compared to the U.S., yet the generate 75% of their electricity from 58 nuclear reactors.

About 17% of that energy comes from recycling nuclear fuel.

As a result of the 1974 decision, France now claims a substantial level of energy independence and almost the lowest cost electricity in Europe. It also has an extremely low level of carbon dioxide emissions per capita from electricity generation, since over 90% of its electricity is nuclear or hydro

[​IMG]

France chose the closed fuel cycle at the very beginning of its nuclear program, involving reprocessing used fuel so as to recover uranium and plutonium for re-use and to reduce the volume of high-level wastes for disposal. Recycling allows 30% more energy to be extracted from the original uranium and leads to a great reduction in the amount of wastes to be disposed of. Overall the closed fuel cycle cost is assessed as comparable with that for direct disposal of used fuel, and preserves a resource which may become more valuable in the future.

Used fuel from the French reactors and from other countries is sent to Areva's La Hague plant in Normandy for reprocessing. This has the capacity to reprocess up to 1700 tonnes per year of used fuel in the UP2 and UP3 facilities, and had reprocessed 28,600 tonnes to the end of 2012. The treatment extracts 99.9% of the plutonium and uranium for recycling, leaving 3% of the used fuel material as high-level wastes which are vitrified and stored there for later disposal.

What we do here in the U.S. is just plain stupid.

17. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I laughed so hard reading this. The England accents don't bother me at all, as everyone is speaking English. I read something last week that
    says America finds Texas accents the sexiest. Perhaps the producers should have tried that.

18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Considering your vast knowledge (more 'vaster' than I), did YOU ever hear about that kid from Reno?

19. SandAndGlass

No.

20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It's absolutely terrific Bill, I'm really struggling to think of the last time I was this taken by a new show. I don't have near the amount of knowledge you do on this, it does seem like it paints a good idea of the general level of negligence, state secrecy, and "loyalty" to the state that I would come to expect.

I understand the qualms people have with the accents, given it's so dialog heavy it did take me out of the show several times in the first episode. But I would much rather have this than attempted Russian accents.

Jared Harris' narration at the start was utterly gripping; what a fantastic way to start the show. So far he has been exceptional in everything I've seen.

ries likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Let’s bring him to Hollywood and put him in a super villain costume, immediately.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Send that crap to space, Elon.

kanakaris likes this.
  23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I highly reccommend this documentary on the Liquidators if you haven't seen it. Shot on location on VideoTape at the time of the clean up, so it looks harrowingly real:

Dr. Funk likes this.
  24. Motown Junk

Motown Junk Forum Resident

The brilliant British actor, Con O'Neill, plays the plant director Viktor Bryukhanov.

It's very weird coming straight from the UK sitcom Uncle, where he plays a cross dressing nightclub owner, to this.

[​IMG]

CheshireCat, Dr. Funk and Frozensoda like this.
  25. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I was reading that the firefighter's wives were holding their shoes at the closing of part 3 because they no longer fit onto their swollen feet. Looking forward to part 4 in a few hours.

Dr. Funk and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.