What is the oddest way you have acquired a record?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pc-Ray, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My Dad had that one. Always dug the "Blizzard" song as a kid too. My Dad was a grocery store manager and was always bringing home stuff like this.

MisterNines and Black Thumb like this.
  2. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I have 2 copies of that one. More of Dad's grocery store freebies!

MisterNines and action pact like this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

This is the version I liked as a kid.

Andrewb and MisterNines like this.
  4. Martgrol

Martgrol Forum Resident

An ebay seller gifted me a couple of records that I didn't buy:

- Golden Hour of Glenn Miller
    - Francis Lai - Love Story - Music of the Movie
    - and a Bulgarian Reissue: John Lennon - Imagine (ВТА 12502)

MisterNines likes this.
  5. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Found about 100 sealed John Lennon -Double Fantasy LP's dumped under a bush in the local park in the mid-80's.

6. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Beats a Snickers Fun Bar any day! :uhhuh:

7. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Hmm, seems we have some felons (or at minimum, thieves) in our midst....

joy stinson likes this.
  8. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Does taking it from my brother's shelf and never mentioning it count? :D

joy stinson likes this.
  9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Hey! Is that my sister?

Another sneaky trick that happened to me. I bought the Tower of Power album that had the song What Is Hip? My roommate liked the song too. He went to buy the album but he bought the wrong LP. Don’t ask me how, the songs are listed on the jacket!

When he moved out I later discovered his Tower of Power album in my album’s jacket! Seriously? I called him and he swore it off as an honest mistake but always managed to dodge me when I tried to arrange a meeting to switch LPs and correct his “mistake

10. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

This isn't odd compared to other stories I've read here, it's just fortunate. I found this scarce Springsteen Playback 7" record from 1973 inside another record - his "Greetings From Asbury Park" LP. I don't think that's how these Playback's originally got distributed.

[​IMG]

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Someone in my apartment building was giving away some records. I grabbed some of them. One of them turned out to a Salsa LP worth about $70.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  12. Magic

Magic I'm just this guy, ya know?

I was in my car following two guys on a motorcycle when the rider dropped Grand Funk Railroad's "On Time" album. They didn't stop or come back for it so I picked it up. The record had come out of the sleeve and was scratched up but I took it home and it played fine.

intv7, Aftermath and MisterNines like this.
  13. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

I was shopping in a London department store when I was approached by a woman who couldn't speak English but who was doing her best to sell copies of a white label LP. Turned out to be McCartney's Russian album long before it got an official release here. The Mrs was dubious but I bought one, obviously.

14. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

One day in the mid 90s I was at my favorite record store at the time, Record Time in Roseville, MI and when I went to pay for whatever I was buying, the girl at the cash register insisted that I take this cd that was either bothering her for some reason or they just couldn't sell, it was an open copy of Fig Dish "That What Love Songs Often Do". So I accepted and took it home and the opening track was pretty good and the rest made no impression at the time and it went to my shelf where it has sat now for over 2 decades. But it's a fun memory so I keep it.

15. MisterNines

MisterNines American

I still gotta vote Trini -

Blizzard à la Bamba !!

clhboa likes this.
  16. MisterNines

MisterNines American

I had to check it out, Jose!

I think Register Girl did you a solid.

Below is the opening track - but there's others I like better.

Yeh, the impression is minimal - but maybe worth dustin' off that CD for a 21st Century spin?

(...or maybe not).

Artist: Fig Dish

Album: That's What Love Songs Often Do

Track: Bury Me

Jose Jones likes this.
  17. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Here is another odd way I got a record, I once traded away an ok-sounding copy of "Jet" with "Mamunia" on the B-side and a sealed reissue of Led Zeppelin IV to my friend in return for his NM copy of Scott McKenzie's "San Francisco" with the echo drums during the bridge that he got the previous day while we went record buying and $10.

MisterNines likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

My brothers-in-law ran a nightclub and when it closed down, they invited me to grab what I wanted from the DJ stocks. I left with carrier bags bulging with CDs :D.

Aftermath and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  19. homeslice

homeslice Forum Resident

Same thing happened to me! But in my case it was a copy of Oran Juice Jones' 1986 R&B crossover hit "The Rain"(The 12" version, b/w "Your Song"). Sadly only in in VG+ condition, but the scuff marks turned out not to affect play.....

Farmer Mike likes this.
  20. Anno

Anno Forum Resident

Coming home from the pub, half cut as we say here and rain bucketing down, I sidle into a bus stop and find, propped up against the shelter, a mint copy of Emotional Rescue, rain stops, take it home to find a large poster inside, result!
    Wouldn’t be that astounding but two weeks later my brother is DJ’ing locally and somebody leaves a couple of albums, never to return, “here you are do you want these?” he asked, first B52’s album and a mint Emotional Rescue.
    Funny old game...

21. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

Idk, that sounds a bit farfetched to me.;)

22. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Don't know how "odd" this is, but:

Years ago, I was griping online about an album being out of print and going for a lot of money.

Minutes later, I get a PM from someone I don't know: "I've got two copies of this, both in pristine condition. Give me your address and I'll send you one."

And it arrived a few days later.

InStepWithTheStars and Rojo like this.
  23. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

Mine's slightly similar. I placed an order for a Brazilian album on Discogs only for the Spanish seller to say that he had duplicate copies and would send me one gratis. Which he did - postage included.

Alos, in the early days of the internet and before much online record shopping became available, I posted on a music discussion forum about how I was looking for a copy of Fred Neil's Bleecker & Macdougal. A New York resident told me that a copy was in a local record store for a bargain price and he went right out and got it for me. I just had to pay the shipping and the minimal record cost.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  24. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Maybe it's all the same guy, slowly giving away his record collection, one record at a time!

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I was working construction in the late 1970's and found good looking copies of Sgt. Pepper's and Magical Mystery Tour in a curbside trash can. I already had them, so I gave them to a guy in our crew.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.