The best region for Audiophile

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Austin seems fine from my perspective (Class D Sphinx, decent proximity to Waterloo Records). Fifty years ago I lived on the shore of the lake, across from Seattle. It was very nice, but it’s changed a ton. If I were to return to the PNW I like the Oregon Coast, but I’d have to order all of my records online. I’d be ok with that.

thomaskong likes this.
  2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Don't agree that basements 'seem' cooler as they are very humid and make you sweat more. Until I installed a mini split system in my former home in NYC, I couldn't use the basement in the summer.

3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

My basement is dry, and pretty much stays the same temperature year round. Kind of like a wine cellar. If you have a "very humid" basement there could be other factors.

Fruff76, timind and TarnishedEars like this.
  4. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Hurricane season & Hurricanes are a total Nightmare.

It gets really old. And the danger is always 'there', hanging over your head.

There's a lot of things about South Florida that they don't tell you in the 'Travel Brochure'.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    chili555, 33na3rd and thomaskong like this.
  5. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

No hurricanes where I live, just May blizzards.

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Same here. I've never experience this basement humidity issue myself. The only problem I have with basements in summertime is the lack of airflow, which is due to our deliberately keeping the windows closed to keep the cool-air inside.

Fruff76 and Chris Schoen like this.
  7. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Like living in a humid area where the humidity settles at the lowest part of the house. My basement is dry with no water leaks.

8. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Colorado is a nice state to live with beautiful mountains around..

RMAF is another good attraction.

With lot of snow during winter, one may have no choice other than listening to music inside home.:oops:

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I run a humidifier in the basement which keeps it dry. I don't have windows in the finished room in the basement, which can be a bit gloomy.

10. snowrs

snowrs Forum Resident

I can tell you the Southern Midwest, is horrible, no stores, humid and very little interest.

thomaskong likes this.
  11. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is too bad to have lot of Tornado and humidity and few audio stores in Southern Midwest.

But there are some audiophiles living there actively engaged in the forums.

12. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer Forum Resident

You can say that again mate
    :cry:

13. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

No, sorry you guys in the Pacific Northwest get a lot of rain, which makes noise hitting the windows and interferes with the audiophile’s acoustic listening environment.

Tullman likes this.
  14. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Agree with the comments expressed ^ Re: Singapore; Tokyo; et al. Same for most except for the very wealthy here in NYC and I wouldn’t know if any were audiophiles.

But saying that’s not why I am posting now. NYC is great for audiophiles because it is still possible to see performances in sometimes world-class settings. Specifically and for example: I will attend an all Mozart performance (selections and the Jupiter symphony) on Christmas Eve at Carnegie Hall. What a nice way to spend Christmas Eve. And it is a really nice thing to leave Carnegie Hall after a show, jump into a taxicab and be home in 15 minutes. Or go to any of dozens of restaurants for a late dinner although on Christmas Eve I’d rather go home.

A NYC audiophile’s listening environment can be extremely difficult. Midfield or bust. But in NYC there can be had other compensations in being able to have a musical life above and beyond an audiophile life. It is so expensive here, hey, gimme something just so’s I can feel like I’m not gettin’ screwed alla duh time.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You should here what an ice storm sounds like...Thunder and Lighting is the worse, not only for noise but also threat of blowing the stereo up.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  16. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Daily summer thunderstorms don't help where I live. Stay away!

17. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

10%! VAT (sales tax) is 20% in the UK! You're lucky.

bhazen likes this.
  18. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about what brands of audio equipment you had access to at the retail level - as in, dealers.

19. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

I would say wherever there is an AudioNote dealer

rocnred likes this.
  20. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Where it ain't is the high desert of Southern Idaho. But we have the internet for gear, pretty cheap electricity, and an overall lower cost of living than most of the country. Static is an issue, especially at this time of year but one can manage it.

Drewan77 and thomaskong like this.
  21. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Perfect!! :righton:

22. rocnred

rocnred Southwest Desert Freak-a-zoid

LOL That is an understatement when it comes to you. I assume they are right across the street? After looking at your equipment profile, now I want NEED an AudioNote TT. Great stuff.

jsr likes this.
  23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Seems to me the best region for the audiophile would be places with the highest concentration of audiophile equipment shops, record stores and CD stores that carry audiophile labels and SACDs.

The town I'm in is zip in that regard, but I'm not too far out of Tokyo and that's a different story.

24. jsr

jsr Forum Resident

Thats funny..... I sold my fully loaded Linn Lp12 that I had been upgrading at great expense for many years and purchased the TT2 a few years ago and could not be happier. Warren Jarrett AN dealer in SoCal and well known member here was auctioning Steve Hoffman’s TT2 for what seemed to be a great price, not sure if it is still available you may want to give him a call

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  25. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

This!
    Followed by the U.K. the Pacific Northwest, NYC, LA. and Denver..

thomaskong likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.