Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I have to confess that I have absolutely no interest in the perennial Jarvis debates. Frankly, they've sidetracked more than a handful of otherwise-interesting online Elvis discussions. All I'll say is that I find it interesting that some of Elvis' most acclaimed work (early RCA, the immediate post-army sessions) was essentially self-produced by Elvis himself, meaning that he didn't need a producer one way or another. In the end, whatever you think about Elvis' career decisions, the buck stops with him: he could have fired Parker, he could have fought against the cliched movie scripts, he could have recorded whatever he wanted to (actually, he did do that, whatever the standard narrative says...he certainly didn't have publishing rights on the Kristofferson or Dylan songs he recorded in the 70s).

Anyway, I quite like You'll Think Of Me. As far as the arrangement goes, it strikes me as a far superior take on This Is The Story. The dynamics are better, with a more satisfying payoff in the chorus. As is often the case with the BIM tracks, I prefer the undubbed versions, which seem more honest and emotionally striking than the master. Either way, though, it's a fine song that I always enjoy hearing.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Well, theoretically the buck stopped with him, but in reality it was much more complicated than that. Furthermore, he did not have the latitude to record whatever he wanted; he certainly was able to record/release material outside of his publishing constraints on occasion, but he still largely had to adhere to Parker’s blueprint.

mark winstanley and Dave112 like this.
  3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Excellent point. I'm on record as disliking this whole genre "a stallion must roam free" type lyrical standpoint, but this one deserves credit for presenting a more complex and realistic view of the behavior. Giving the narrator enough insight to realize he's the pathetic one here is a clever twist.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I love 'You'll Think of Me'. It's about my favourite song from the album.

mark winstanley, Dave112 and RSteven like this.
  5. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

One thing that I have come to understand from reading the posts from all of the learned Elvis fans on here is that the dynamics of his actions and inactions were rarely logical. He had so many forces pushing and pulling at him from within and without. He had talent, charisma, looks, and drive like very few. He also had great insecurity and a ticking self destructive streak. Add to the mix a cast of self serving people that profited and basked in the secondhand limelight around him while constantly feeding his worst tendencies. It's a wonder things went as well as they did for as long as they did.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Without Love
    Written By :
    Danny Small

Recorded :

American Studios, Memphis, January 13-16 and 20-23, 1969: January 23, 1969. take 5

This is one of the finest album closers in the standard rock catalog. I mean sure some of the more adventurous and progressive groups had some great closers, but in a straight rock and roll artists catalog, this would be hard to beat.
    This song ends up being a powerful gospel song, that manages to be a song of broader interpretation and reach. The famous Corinthians passage that essentially is an exhortation of those who do everything they do out of duty, or in light of the law, or just to be seen to be doing it. Although this song takes its message elsewhere, I believe it is derived from Paul's statement “If I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing” ... Anyway, I may be wrong, but that is how I see it.
    It would be easy to hear the intro as a country song, but it is straight up gospel, and I could easily be expecting Mahalia to start singing.
    In kind, the arrangement kicks in with a fantastic choir and string section that becomes a broom to sweep the room clean.
    Elvis, vocal is one of the most convincing vocals of his career. Sometimes this is my favourite Elvis track. It is a powerful Juggernaut taking all before it.

RobCos02330, Iceman08, Mylene and 6 others like this.
  7. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Spot-on, Mark! "Elvis, vocal is one of the most convincing vocals of his career. Sometimes this is my favourite Elvis track. It is a powerful Juggernaut taking all before it."

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I first heard the song by Tom Jones. He tends to have a very one dimensional presentation. Then I heard it by Elvis. Elvis' forte' is Gospel and Blues. This performance recalls The Thrill Of Your Love for me. It is fantastic.

9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

One of the very best recordings from the American Sound sessions.

11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I am pretty sure I heard the Tom Jones' version first as well, and I still like it well enough, but I agree with you about Tom's overall presentation, especially when you compare it to Elvis's vocal take on the song. Elvis taps all the great qualities within his vocal arsenal, from the tender lows to his powerful high range in the chorus. He approaches the song in his staccato gospel style and in fact, you would almost think it was Elvis himself at the piano, if the playing did not become so complex later in the song. Ah, it just does not get any better than this with Elvis and to me personally, he even leaves the original version by Clyde McPhatter, one of his first vocal idols, in the dust in my opinion. I believe Elvis recorded his version before Tom Jones, and I am guessing Tom followed Elvis's version for a template of his huge hit version, but if anybody knows for sure please pipe in with the info.

Revelator and mark winstanley like this.
  12. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

Elvis has my favorite take on that one.
    But this version isn't too shabby either:

RSteven, Shawn and mark winstanley like this.
  13. Revelator

Revelator Disputatious cartoon animal.

Here's the original:

In my opinion, Elvis's version of "Without Love" is the one time he took on Clyde McPhatter and won. The original recording is a masterpiece, but Elvis ups the emotional ante and brings down the song like Samson in the temple. He must have felt justified pride in proving himself to one of his idols. Perhaps the experience of meeting and befriending another idol, Roy Hamilton, inspired this great performance.

BeatleJWOL, PepiJean, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Clyde's Such A Night is terrific, but I think Elvis' take is the single finest performance he ever recorded. So I'd give him that one too.

15. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

A great post and I was thinking the exact same things. I was actually a little surprised I did not like Clyde's version a little more. I think I would actually take Tom Jones or Ray Charles version after Elvis's definitive one.

I agree with you on this fact as well. Man, Elvis bests one of his greatest and most talented idols twice and that was no easy task in these two cases.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I agree: SUCH A NIGHT's got to be up there in the Elvis Olympus of Greatest Recordings, next to MYSTERY TRAIN, TROUBLE, A MESS OF BLUES and LONG BLACK LIMOUSINE.

And TRYING TO GET TO YOU.
    And HEARTBREAK HOTEL.
    And I FEEL SO BAD.
    And SHE'S NOT YOU.
    And STRANGER IN MY OWN HOME TOWN.
    And... Etc... ETC...

17. mark winstanley

Don't Cry Daddy
    Don't Cry Daddy *
    Rubberneckin' **
    (US) RCA 47-9768
    Released: November 1969
    * Recorded: American Studios, Memphis, January 22, 1969
    ** Recorded: American Studios, Memphis, January 21, 1969

[​IMG]

Written By :
    Scott Mac Davis

Recorded :

American Studios, Memphis, January 13-16 and 20-23, 1969: January 22, 1969. take 3

This single reached #6 in the US and #8 in the UK.
    Here we have an interesting choice to hold off the albums and release as a single, and it was very successful. It was Elvis' final release of the sixties.
    We have a gentle ballad that starts with a piano and some strings. Elvis comes in singing as a father who is obviously struggling with the loss of his wife, and then in the chorus we have the son come along and try to cheer his father up by reminding him that he still has the two kids, and they'll all help find a brand new mommy. I suppose it's one of those songs that someone is either going to love or hate, based on that simple theme right there. Lyrically it is a very country song, but as a song it really presents more as the heartbreaking pop ballad more.
    The arrangement is very delicate, and a theme like this would be very easy to turn into a cheese festival, but I think between Elvis' vocal and the subtle, and gentle arrangement the balance is struck, and we end up with a very moving ballad.

18. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

Little Tommy and a brand new mommy... This song belongs to the 60s movie era more than it does to FEIM.

mark winstanley likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

Rubberneckin'

[​IMG]

Written By :
    Bunny Warren & Dory Jones

Recorded :

American Studios, Memphis, January 13-16 and 20-23, 1969: January 21, 1969. take 2

This track reached #6 in the US, #5 in the UK, #3 in Australia and also charted well all across Europe ... I suppose this is one of the reasons I think of these singles as being double a-sides, the way these things charted as b-sides still doesn't really compute in my post sixties mentality, but either way, both things on this single did really well.
    Rubberneckin' was part of the American Sound recordings, but was used in the Change Of Habit movie.
    This is and was always a cool song. It is a contemporary song, with a feel and arrangement that would have sat easily alongside a lot of the R&B and Soul songs of the day. Introduced by a very cool guitar that leads a horn section in. We have some very cool Motown style backing vocals, and the song just has a really good bounce. We have the, much more organic than the eighties, handclaps, and just a great feel.
    It was actually a good idea to have these two songs together, because it leaves Elvis' direction wide open. We have the slow heartbreaker, and the R&B/Soul uptempo track and the direction is wide open to go wherever Elvis wanted to.

Iceman08, Tord, Revelator and 2 others like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Well, actually it was more a pointer to where he was going than where he had been.
    It is lyrically much more deep than the movie years songs. It was also recorded properly, which would discount it from the movie years. So I would have to disagree with you

artfromtex, RSteven and Dave112 like this.
  21. mark winstanley

22. mark winstanley

Oct 10 1967
    Clambake - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Guitar Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    full take with What's I Say Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Clambake Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Who Needs Money Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 House That Has Everything Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Confidence Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Hey Hey Hey Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 You Don'tKnow Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Girl I Never Loved Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 How Can You Lose What You Never Had Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Big Boss Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Singing Tree Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Just Call Me Lonesome Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 3 1968
    Guitar Man/ Hi Heeled Sneakers Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Jan 22 1968
    Elvis Golden Records Vol 4

Feb 27 1968
    U.S. Male/Stay Away Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Mar 26 1968
    You'll Never Walk Alone/ We Call On Him Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 21 1968
    Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby/ Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

May 26 1968
    Speedway
    track 1 Speedway Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 There Ain't Nothing Like A Song Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Who Are you Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 He's Your Uncle Not Your Dad Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Let Yourself Go Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Your Groovy Self Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Five Sleepy heads Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Western union Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Mine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Goin' Home Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Suppose Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Sept 3 1968
    Almost In Love/A Little Less Conversation Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 29 1968 (two days before my actual birth :) )
    If I Can Dream/ Edge Of Reality Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 1968
    SINGER PRESENTS ELVIS SINGING FLAMING STAR AND OTHERS - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 1 Flaming Star Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Wonderful World Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Night Life Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 All I Needed Was The Rain Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Too Much Monkey Business Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Yellow Rose Of Texas/ Eyes Of Texas Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 She's A Machine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Do The Vega Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Tiger Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 22 1968
    Elvis - NBC TV special
    - Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 1 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 2 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 3 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 4 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    part 5 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Feb 26 1969 Memories/Charro

Mar 25 1969 His Hand In Mine/ How Great Thou Art

Mar 28 1969 (rerelease) Flaming Star

Apr 15 1969 In The Ghetto/Any Day Now

June 1969
    From Elvis In Memphis
    track 1 Wearin' That Loved On Look Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Only The Strong Survive Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 I'll Hold You In My Heart Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Long Black Limousine Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 It Keeps Right On a Hurtin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I'm Movin' On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 Power Of My Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Gentle On My Mind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 After Loving You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 True Love Travels On a Gravel Road Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Any Day Now Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 In The Ghetto Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

June 17 1969
    Clean Up your Own Backyard/The Fair's Moving On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Aug 26 1969
    Suspicious Minds/ You'll Think Of Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Oct 14 1969
    From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis
    In Person
    track 1 Blue Suede Shoes Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 Johnny B Goode Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 All Shook Up Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 Are You Lonesome Tonight Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 Hound Dog Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 I Can't Stop Loving You Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 My Babe Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 Mystery Train/ Tiger Man Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 Words Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 In The Ghetto Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 11 Suspicious Minds Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 12 Can't Help Falling In Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Back to Memphis
    track 1 Inherit The Wind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 2 This Is The Story Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 3 Stranger In My Own Hometown Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 4 A Little Bit Of Green Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 5 And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 6 Do You Know Who I Am Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 7 From a Jack to A King Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 8 The Fair's Moving On Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 9 You'll Think Of Me Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    track 10 Without Love Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Nov 69
    Don't Cry Daddy/ Rubberneckin' Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Misc reference
    Press conference Mar 7 1960 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    Interview August 1962 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties
    interview 72 Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

Rare Footage Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

The missing album "For The Asking" Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties thanks @czeskleba

Ginny Tui Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

news clipping Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt2 The Sixties

fdsfd likes this.
  23. EPA4368

EPA4368 Forum Resident

Agreed, it was a good idea to have Don't Cry Daddy & Rubberneckin' together and both got a lot of airplay.

Although not great reviews, but not ugly either, Chang Of Habit did get some nice reviews.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    RSteven, Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

25. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

To me, Don't Cry Daddy is one of the worst songs Elvis ever recorded, and definitely the low point of the American Sound sessions. "Together we'll find a brand-new mommy"?!?! Just terrible. Musically it's slightly more interesting than Mama Liked The Roses, and as a performance it hangs together better than Hey Jude (a low bar to clear, I know), but I can't get past the lyrics.

Conversely, Rubberneckin' is a fantastic uptempo track, with an infectious groove and plenty of energy. For once, I like the backing vocalists; actually, they help to make the record as exciting as it is. I think it definitely deserved a slot on BIM, even if it does sit nicely alongside the other CoH songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.