Elvis Presley - The Albums and Singles Thread pt3 The Seventies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 26, 2019.

1. And hey, at least the guy in Kentucky Rain isn't as crazy as that lady in Blondie's 'One Way Or Another'. Now that is true stalker territory ;)

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea, none of that extreme negative stuff ever crossed my mind.
    I guess that is a reflection of the age in which we now live

frightwigwam, RSteven, JLGB and 2 others like this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

As of 2017:
    50 box 475K
    60 box 225K
    70 box 130K

50 box RIAA 2 time Platinum (multi disc sets are weighted differently than single disc titles)
    60 box RIAA Platinum
    70 box Gold

Iceman08, JimmyCool, PepiJean and 5 others like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

As far as I am concerned the 3 boxes sold in the proportion they deserved! (Though I admit I listen to the 60s box the most). I do NOT like listening to Christmas songs between December 26 through Thanksgiving. So the 50s box can be an annoyance in that respect.

5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The 50s box was amazing even though the sound quality wasn't the best.

6. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I can only tell you that if someone I was in love with disappeared or left me suddenly without explanation or a note in the middle of the night, my first call would probably be to the police, and I would never stop looking for her until I knew she was okay.

7. SKATTERBRANE

The 50s and the 60s box were each available in vinyl in the EU. I had them both when I still had LPs.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. Wow! The spread between them really surprises me, as I know (again, circumstantially) of a number of my friends who bought the 70's box but skipped the 60's box. Still, respectable #'s all around considering that they're 5 CD sets and the retail price at the time of release wasn't cheap.

9. SKATTERBRANE

Police: "Mr. Rain, well if only you had found her 1/2 hour sooner, we could have saved her."

10. SKATTERBRANE

Your poor friends, tsk, tsk, they missed out on a GREAT set passing up the 60s box. GOOD NEWS it has been reissued in the EU MUCH less expensively than the original release!!! In fact I sold all 3 of my originals and replaced them with the much easier to store reissues (the sound quality is identical).

11. Oh this was back in the 90's, relatively fresh out of college, limited budgets, etc. I seem to recall each of these sets selling for north of $75 when they came out so we had to be a bit picky, especially for those that weren't as big a fan as you or I.

PepiJean, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

But much of the material was back in mono for the first time since 1968. But what is REALLY frustrating, that similar sound quality was used on For LP Fans Only and A Date With Elvis on the 60 CD Album collection, instead of the Kevan Budd and/or the 2009 Vic Anesini upgrades that MOST of the rest of the box enjoyed.

mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  13. SKATTERBRANE

Oh just having fun with ya. Yes, I think they retailed around $89.98 if I recall. Of course they were sold for less than that, $75 sounds about on par.

mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

By the standards of the time, and compared to the first real wave of Elvis catalog CD releases - the Number One Hits, The Top Ten Hits, The Sun Sessions, and The Memphis Record - the 50s box sounded quite good.

15. SKATTERBRANE

Agreed, shockingly good by comparison. It was a breath of fresh air, much like the original release of WWGAH. But the Kevan Budd Elvis At Sun, Elvis Presley, Elvis and Loving You were just as much of a step up. Who knew the 50s material could have sounded so good in the digital era?

16. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I look too closely at these lyrics I suppose but it seems to be a theme that was popular at the time and Elvis touched on it several times. I think of Inherit The Wind, You'll Think Of Me, That's What You Get For Loving Me, and It's Easy For You. I also find Twenty Days And Twenty Nights disturbing. He leaves a someone that loves him and when things don't go to his liking, he's planning on going back just like nothing happened at all. A similar theme is in the Dolly Parton penned Kentucky Gambler sang by Merle Haggard. He callously leaves his wife and children to fate planning on being be a big shot gambler in Reno only to lose all he had including his family when someone else took his place back home. It is interesting about the abandonment from a long term relationship subject being so prominent in his later music.

JonnyKidd, mark winstanley and Shawn like this.
  17. SKATTERBRANE

I find That's What You Get For Lovin' Me a bit tongue in cheek. It is funny as heck.

Dave112, mark winstanley and RSteven like this.
  18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I have to say I never analyzed the lyrics of Kentucky Rain for plausibility or social relevance or asked why the narrator is walking in the rain. I just accept the song as a vehicle for Elvis to do his thing over one of the greatest backing tracks he was ever given to work with.

19. SKATTERBRANE

Sir, your wife is missing.
    It's raining now and through the weekend. I will search for her when the weather improves.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

That's true. But the thought that she might be in danger or that she left against her will does not appear to be something that the protagonist of the song is concerned about at all, since he never mentions it, and he obviously does not involve the police. He's not looking for her because he's worried about her, he's looking because he wants "to bring her home" or at minimum to find out "what went wrong." He seems certain that she left of her own accord, he just doesn't know why.

Dave112 and mark winstanley like this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree once again. The protagonist sings, "Don't know why you'd run or what your running to or from," which implies that he is worried about her to some degree. We just see this completely differently, Jason, as I think that what you propose as a realistic reaction to a loved one leaving in the middle of the night is rather bizarre to say the least. I just cannot imagine anyone that could just sit there and do absolutely nothing, given what we know from the known circumstances of the lyrics.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm thinking this is the main reason. The Beatles released three singles in 1969. Merle Haggard released three singles in 1969. Johnny Cash released two singles in 1969. Glenn Campbell released three. The Stones released two. Meanwhile, Elvis released six. Kentucky Rain came out just two months after Don't Cry Daddy. If you look at chart placings you can see a pattern: roughly every other single does better. Just too much product out there.

If I Can Dream: 12
    Memories: 35
    In the Ghetto: 3
    Clean Up Your Own Backyard: 35
    Suspicious Minds: 1
    Don't Cry Daddy: 6
    Kentucky Rain: 16
    The Wonder of You: 9
    I've Lost You: 32
    You Don't Have to Say You Love Me: 11
    I Really Don't Want to Know: 21

23. And Elvis had 4 LPs (including 1 double LP) released between Dec. 1968 and Oct. 1969. It gets worse in 1970:

Let's Be Friends
    On Stage
    Worldwide 50 Gold Award Hits
    Christmas Album (reissue)
    Almost In Love
    That's The Way It Is

And Elvis Country was just around the corner in January, 1971. 1971 overall is even worse for the # of releases.

24. SKATTERBRANE

I agree, but man, look at the quality! Have not seen such quality or a release schedule since 1956-57.

25. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

That must be my favorite consecutive run of single releases Elvis ever released. The flip side of the singles were not too shabby either.