Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

It happens to be giphy as well!

[​IMG]
    ;)

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I decided to send one last Hail Mary email to MPL about this unlimited downloads issue. I finally got a response this morning:

"MPL work closely with Abbey Road Studios to ensure fans receive the very best audio listening experience. On Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway, Abbey Road Studios are satisfied that the work done does not compromise the quality of the recordings. Whilst there was light compression employed, this was used to the extent where they are confident we can still class the audio files as Unlimited. Abbey Road have given a brief explanation of the process employed below.

All main album files (including the double album) were processed using the Shadow Hills compressor and Jünger Accent 2. Only artistic compression was applied and gain matched. No Accent 2 gain was applied. The tape transfers were “hotter" than the original albums with a fuller timbre. We class these files as Unlimited due to the nature of the compression used to keep the warmth and depth of the original recordings."

3. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Thanks for the effort investigating this issue. I'm pleasantly surprised that MPL responded to the query.

4. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Cool info thanks!

5. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Thank you for posting this. I'm curious, did you ask them about the error at the end of 'Love Is Strange'?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You're welcome.

No, I did not ask them about that. I had bigger fish to fry haha.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Did they ever fix the mastering error on Love Is Strange?

joy stinson likes this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Not to my knowledge.

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Well done. It tells you everything that they consider "unlimited" to mean "yeah, actually, there is some limiting". I'd be surprised if anyone who checked out the waveform for Night Out thought it could be considered "unlimited".

At least we know that what we got wasn't an error, for what it's worth.

Lewisboogie and supermd like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I do not even think that they (MPL) even acknowledged any error. So they cannot fix something that they have not admitted is an error.

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^I also think that there was a similar glitch on "Magneto & Titanium Man" from the digital/CD versions of the song included in the Venus & Mars Archive set. And that error too was never acknowledged, nor fixed.

12. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Interesting comments from Paul on Bruce McMouse from a 1975 interview with International Musician:

"I've got a few little things waiting to be finished. Did a thing in Europe with the first Wings. It's a film, quite nice, but I think it'll end up as a kids' programme 'cos it's not that great.
    It'll be nice for kids but for adult critical acclaim it's not quite good enough".

Calico, tug_of_war, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  13. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Presumably just the mouse cartoons? I can't imagine that by 1976-77, why young kids would have been interested in watching 4-5 year old performances of the like of Mumbo and Long Tall Sally.

14. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Interesting that he thinks that way. I think the performances are quite good - better than I expected and Wings sound more muscular than on record up to that point. I like it about as much as Wings Over America, actually, and I wish they would have released it as a straight concert film without the rubbish cartoon animation and story.

Hep Alien and MPLRecords like this.
  15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

It more or less proved that Macca can't act. If this had come out previously, "BroadStreet" would never have happened.

Lesbeat and Hep Alien like this.
  16. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

So do I but I cannot stand the different versions of Paul within the same song. And for all those canned introductions?
    Cut them out!

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

He acted pretty well in A Hard Day Night, but a scriptwriter he is not.

joy stinson, JDeanB and Hep Alien like this.
  18. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

His is the solo scene that never made the film. Lester saw in 1964 he wasn't much of an actor.
    And yet, he keeps trying.
    (If you think his Broadstreet film is bad, watch the 1993 Saturday Night Live performance where he plays a butler. Definitely not there for the acting!)

Hep Alien and Frank like this.
  19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

To be fair, you can read the script for the scene online and see that it just is not funny. Goes on for too long without a real good gag. I'm not sure any of the other three could've gotten past that.

20. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

21. Steve didn’t want to remix from the multitracks. He wanted to go back to the workparts. You see, for the Venus and Mars master, instead of the individual song workparts being banded together, they were dubbed onto a reel with an added layer of compression. However, he was told no.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. And that is from memory from a forum discussion close to 15 years ago. I am pretty sure my memory of the details is correct.

23. Found it:

supermd and Hep Alien like this.
  24. Frank

Frank Senior Member

None of which goes to my point: That Venus and Mars sounds the way it does because McCartney wants it to sound the way it does, evidenced by the fact that an offer to make it sound "better" was repeatedly rejected by the artist and/or the artist's representatives. Actually, this strengthens my point, because nothing but the "squashing" would have or could have been changed by the process described.

The "squashing" is a feature, not a bug.

Apologies for using the wrong word almost 5 months ago in recalling something I read years ago.

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It would have been so easy for me to buy multiple copies of that box to re-sell for a ton of money, but I'd hate to gouge fellow fans. I bet one person sold multiple copies of the Big Barn Box featured on that list. As we know, there are members on this forum who buy multiple copies of limited edition items to re-sell for a profit, preventing some of us fans from getting the item for ourselves at a normal price. I won't name names...