Pure Prairie League - First 4 Albums on 2 CDs from BGO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Killer, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Wow, no way. No wonder I liked her voice so much. Thanks very much for that. This is an instant purchase for me now. Does she sing on many other tracks?

2. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Curtis is on the 2nd and 3rd albums, but not the first. I don't think there are any others, but I think there was maybe a cassette that came out post Curtis. I'll keep my eyes out for the two with Curtis. If I find one in a collection I might pick up I'll sent you a message and if you want it I'll sent it to you for what I paid plus postage. I wouldn't pay much for them, five bucks or less.

3. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

That's a real nice offer and thank you. If you happen to find them around that $5.00 price, I'd be interested.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  4. EdinaBob

EdinaBob Forum Resident

Nope - pretty sure that was a one-time event!

5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Strange. When CD came out it was that format that allowed for full shows/songs that had to be edited for vinyl.

6. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

So how's the mastering on the BGOs? Does it beat the RCAs? How about the Edsel Anthology ?(which is the best CD version of these albums IMO).

Natvecal. likes this.
  7. Keep in mind that there were many two record sets that were edited for release on one CD when CD times were 73 minutes and even when the maximum time of one CD was 79 minutes. It all comes down to economics for what they thing will sell.

For the record, I think that the 4 album set is pretty good. I haven't compared it head to head with the RCA CDs yet on how bright they are but IMHO, they sound fine.

8. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Mike McCormick won the Cy Young for the San Francisco Giants in 1967. Not the Dodgers! Jeez!!!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  9. lazydawg58

Hey give me a break, I'm not a big baseball fan!:shrug:

steve phillips likes this.
  10. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I'll give you props for being in the right division and a west coast team.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  11. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

My friend, you must remember,..... there is an eternal war in progress between Giant fans and Dodger fans. It can get dangerous to get caught in between 'em.

Giving credit for a Giant's accomplishment to the Dodgers, ..is like a red flag to a bull. ;)

lazydawg58 likes this.
  12. lazydawg58

I just saw the line up for the North Carolina State Fair. For the last few years they have booked NC related acts for their concert series at Dorton "worst acoustics in the world" Arena. They have American Aquarium, Charlie Daniels Band, & Branford Marsalis. On Oct. 23 they will feature, Pure Prairie League featuring Craig Fuller! Charlie Daniels is from the Wilmington area and BJ Bradham (basically AA is him and whom ever he hires to back him) is from Reidsville(?) and now Wake Forest. Marsalis lives in Durham and Fuller is a long time resident of Pinehurst.

Anyway it is nice to see that Fuller is playing, at least on a limited basis with PPL.

13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

^^
    Awesome. Love Fuller.

Anyone hear the BGO reissues of the first two PPL albums on CD? Still bottomless?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  14. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

A couple of years ago, an old friend of mine asked me to find some PPL albums for him.
    He lives up in the mountains and doesn't have access to good record stores. I found all these
    great albums in NM condition, a couple still sealed or in shrinkwrap. I was glad to do it for him,
    but at the same time I wanted to keep them. I haven't seen any as nice as those since. :sigh:

lazydawg58 and carlwm like this.
  15. Paul Corusoe

Paul Corusoe Forum Resident

Does anyone who has listened to this 2-disc set have an opinion he or she is willing to share on its sound quality, or lack thereof?

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  16. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Just got my copy delivered tonight. $13 sealed new on Ebay. Bargain. Two Cds, 2 albums on each CD.

Dynamic range is the same on 3 cds and a bit less on the debut album compared to other CDs out there now.

Bustin' Out still has that veiled sound it always has had.

However, all 4 albums on this BGO set have somewhat better punch and detail. Wider sound stage too. The bass on Bustin' Out is improved (but still not great) compared to the standard RCA issue.

IMHO, the first PPL album is a must-have for any country rock fan. The other 3 albums included here are solid but the first album is incredible.

This package is a truly great value.

That was $13.97, sealed new, shipped.

17. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I knew the album covers but had never consciously heard their music.

A quick toe in the water and I’m really impressed.

£12.99 and speeding its way to Casa Seabass

18. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Ditto this.

19. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Thanks for the input as I am looking at getting this or the Edsel Anthology.

billnunan likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Any comments on the Floating World PPL discs?

21. pool_of_tears

I've yet to grab the BGO cd's. I am pulling the trigger, soon. I hope Bustin' Out sounds better. I think it could sound good, with some judicious EQ work. .

Note, they are soon to be issuing another 2 cd set...containing Just Fly, Live! Takin' The Stage, and Can't Hold Back. I sent the head of BGO an email giving them a heads up, regarding the Live album. I advised to be careful of which source they get, because the 1980's RCA had minor edits throughout, to cram a 76 minute album onto a 74 minute cd.

billnunan and carlwm like this.
  22. I think they sound pretty good.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  23. lazydawg58

I continue to come across various PPL albums (vinyl) in the wild very regularly. I got a collection from a good friend a couple of months ago with the live double album and Two Lane in it. I have several Bustin' Out, Two Lane and ST in my stacks, cleaned and waiting to be play graded with a 2 lane in my playing crate upstairs right now. I enjoy passing on my extra copies to family and friends that get into vinyl. Everyone should have Bustin' Out in their collection IMHO.

On a related note for those that enjoy PPL if you don't already have any, the early career Michael Martin Murphy albums complement them very well. I'm listening to his Swans In the Sun album right now, excellent.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  24. pool_of_tears

I was talking to my dad, just the other day. He told me he saw PPL right here in town, when I was a baby. I looked that up, and the date was November 19, 1976. Also on the bill… Tommy Bolin.

25. pool_of_tears

Some good news. BGO is reissuing the following PPL albums on a 2 cd set, release date 8/5/22:

Live! Takin' The Stage
    Just Fly
    Can't Hold Back

[​IMG]

Glenn coates, billnunan, Dok and 3 others like this.