Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

"Don't Worry About Me" appears on which Capitol album?

2. Richard--W

I know there is a specific thread for these 2016 reissues but I can't find it now.
    Everybody, drop what you're doing and listen to THIS IS SINATRA 1 and 2.
    Both LP's collect Capitol singles from the mid-1950s.
    I bought them over a year ago but didn't start listening to them until today.
    Quiet pressings in lovely sound with the vocal presence you've always wanted.
    A natural mixing, bright, punchy, separated, distinct and for all I know, correct.

Links:

https://www.amazon.com/This-Sinatra-Frank/dp/B00LB5PTTK

https://www.amazon.com/This-Sinatra-Two-LP-Frank/dp/B01B4SII00

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Stanley1970 and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

Not sure if your next post indicates you found the answer, but the 1954 single (recorded 1953) first appeared on LP in 1956 on This Is Sinatra!.

Some links:

Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality etc.: "This is Sinatra" - (rec. '53-'55, released 1956)
    Notes on This is Sinatra
    Non-Album Tracks, 1953 - Song #2
    Frank Sinatra Sessionography - Don’t Worry ’Bout Me

(That last link lists other later album issues, plus many live recordings of the song.)

Richard--W likes this.
  4. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

The one that Bob linked to -- live "Don't Worry 'Bout Me" from Vegas 1966 (the Vegas box) -- is particularity nice!!!!!!

Sinatra ... Vegas ... ahhhhhhhhh!

Bob F likes this.
  5. Richard--W

Right. Thanks Bob F.
    What do you think of the UMe 2016 reissues of This Is Sinatra?
    Listening under the headphones last night (or was it this morning) I'm impressed.

6. Bob F

The release year was 2014. The UMe LP is excellent! The associated HD download is sourced differently (poor tone, compressed dynamics, etc.) and is very bad, reportedly.

7. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yes, exactly. Trying to find a specific sub-conversation within a 130-plus-page thread -- and where that sub-conversation may pick up and start again -- is virtually impossible.

BTW, as has been pointed out before, while this site's search function is not always helpful, every time I've Googled something -- say, like "Sinatra Watertown Hoffman" -- I've always found exactly what I'm looking for.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    John Porcellino, Richard--W and Bob F like this.
  8. Richard--W

I bought the vinyl. I'm a traditional old-fashioned hard-media person.
    The clarity of This Is Sinatra UMe LP is really something.

To modify my statement above, a sticky thread listing all the essential Sinatra
    threads as links would be very helpful here.

9. DmitriKaramazov

Coincidentally, the EMI Music for Pleasure double CD just appeared in my mail today! Vol. 1 and 2!

Dugan and Richard--W like this.
  10. Richard--W

Do let us know your thoughts on it.

11. sinatrapicturefan

sinatrapicturefan Forum Resident

I came across an interview early this AM of Bill Miller, FS' pianist, with a UK jazz writer named Les Tomkins that was recorded in 1975. Very interesting reading -- see the link below which also has a link to an earlier 1970 interview with Miller by the same writer. Bill Miller shares a similar opinion about the FS/Jobim album. Hearing this from the man who worked with Sinatra through nearly his whole Capitol and Reprise years reinforces my opinion that this really was FS' finest hour as a vocalist:
    "The one that I really liked was the “Sinatra And Jobim” album. Claus Ogerman wrote the arrangements, you know, and he knew exactly what to do with that kind of music very successful. Yeah, the feeling in the studio was very good. That one happened, certainly."
    Frank Sinatra 2

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    RSteven and Artur Torres like this.
  12. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Funny that you mention "you could easily believe the 20 tracks were all part of one release."
    To me they sound like night and day compared to each other. The arrangements of Ogerman and Deodato have a complete different sound and mood. Ogerman's are more soft, gentle and focus more on the strings, where Deodato's are much more on the rhythmic side. Also Sinatra's singing style is completely different to my ears.

13. Bob F

14. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Finally bought a couple of Capital UMe vinyl releases (if they sound good/great I'll have to purchase the other ones, too). Unfortunately, I won't be able to play them right away since my turntable is stored away for another couple of months. I can barely wait, though.

Come Fly With Me.
    September Of My Years.

RSteven, paulmock and Stanley1970 like this.
  15. Record Rotator

Ugh! Misspelled "Capitol".

16. Record Rotator

And of course September Of My Years is a Reprise re-release. Jeez! No more J.D. for me.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I just let that one slide....:eek:

Record Rotator likes this.
  18. Record Rotator

Shame on you, Paul! ;)
    But seriously, do you own or have you listened to any of these UMe vinyl re-releases?

Stanley1970 likes this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Oh yes, I own quite a few of them. No complaints. The ones that stick out right away are Ring a Ding Ding and This Is Sinatra Vol. 2. RADD is as good as it is gonna get considering and Vol.2 is superb mono. I also love Songs for Swingin Lovers and Swingin' Affair!

20. Record Rotator

As I recall, the record shop had copies of Songs For Swingin' Lovers, Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim, Nice 'n' Easy, Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely and a few others (that I don't recall). But, they are as good as mine (I suspect that we may never see re-releases as good as these).

paulmock and Stanley1970 like this.
  21. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

The question is are we gonna see anything new? Since Standing Room Only was released, we haven't heard a word. I was looking forward to the Columbia Master Recordings Chuck Granata was working on now that's apparently not gonna happen. I'm not an optimist anyway so we'll see.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  22. Bob F

There’s at least one new anniversary edition LP on the horizon. See: above.

FranklyCanadian and jtsjc1 like this.
  23. DmitriKaramazov

Well... that's easy.................. (Apologies to Bob F. for veering lightly off the thread topic, but…..)

The CD called: This is Frank Sinatra (1953-1957) is actually the complete This Is Sinatra, This is Sinatra 2 and also Look to Your Heart, all heard on a Music for Pleasure 2 CD collection. (Most here probably know this.)

I picked up my copy from Amazon UK due to the smart and kind people here, and I’m glad I did. Because….........

I believe this collection contains some of the greatest recordings made by anyone, anywhere, any anytime!

Especially: Don’t Worry ‘Bout Me, which should be nominated for the greatest performance of the 20th century, in this world, in any world, in any galaxy… Simply unbelievable.

On my semi-c—p player, the CD sounds great, but that’s mainly because I have the strong sense that I am listening to some of the greatest music ever created.

There are a couple of really great tunes herein such as “My One and Only Love” that I wasn’t too familiar with, so this is a tremendous collection. I love Sinatra's Capitol version of "Same Old Dream" which is also here. It's all still available at Amazon UK. CHEAP

Would be cool if the Sinatra family issued a new set with the above 3 CDs, with the All the Way compilation.

P.S. I was SUPPOSED to be listening to the Dylan Rolling Thunder set but I didn't (yet) because I was listening to THIS!

-- David

RogerB likes this.
  24. Bob F

:targettiphat: Sinatra - "This Is Sinatra" reissues

DmitriKaramazov and MLutthans like this.
  25. Bob F

Ten years ago (in 2009), Capitol released all of the Sinatra singles compilations as digital downloads. Unfortunately, they never made it to CDs. This was just a couple of years before the FSE/UMe hookup (the subject of this thread), and the downloads disappeared subsequently from iTunes, Amazon, etc.

See this SFF thread: New Capitol Online Albums

DmitriKaramazov likes this.