Sleater-Kinney new Album "The Center Won't Hold"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looks like info is starting to trickle out on the new Sleater-Kinney album produced by St. Vincent - including the title "The Center Won't Hold" ... moving from Subpop to Mom + Pop for the release.

"As Reddit’s indieheads forum points out, the record label Mom + Pop has posted a new Sleater-Kinney bio to their website, suggesting a move from Sub Pop, who released No Cities To Love. Mom + Pop lists the new album title as The Center Won’t Hold. It also mentions a single called “Hurry On Home” and links to an active landing page, indicating the song may be coming as soon as tonight. (Generally those pages don’t go up too far in advance.)"

"There’s no word regarding a release date for the album, but the Mom + Pop bio includes some quotes from the band, including this from Carrie Brownstein: “We’re always mixing the personal and the political but on this record, despite obviously thinking so much about politics, we were really thinking about the person — ourselves or versions of ourselves or iterations of depression or loneliness — in the middle of the chaos.”

more here: Sleater-Kinney's New St. Vincent-Produced Album Is Called 'The Center Won't Hold'

Sean, ReadySteady, RubenH and 4 others like this.
  2. FingerPickin'Triumph

Mysterious graphic/image appears on Sleater-Kinney's website proclaims "un****able" "unlovable" : Sleater-Kinney

3. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

I'm cautiously optimistic. NCTL was a good album, but it never came close to their original seven-album run. I just hope they cut loose a bit more this time out. NCTL sounded controlled, whereas SK always sounded best (imo) when you were never quite sure where they were going to go with the next note/word/phrase.

pexie likes this.
  4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i bet st. vincent pushes them into some new territory, just like dave f. did over 10 years ago. can't wait.

5. FingerPickin'Triumph

I loved their last record.... you do get the feeling that they are trying to push themselves even more with this new one.. love St. Vincent though her last record I couldn't totally get into..

6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

The bio page has been taken down, although Google's cached version is currently still visible. Maybe Mom + Pop jumped the gun in posting it.

7. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Not feeling the new tune too much... And the press images are too weird; I'm not sure that particular look suits them. Maybe it all will grow on me, who knows.

rocknsoul74 likes this.
  8. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Here's the new song. I dig it! And tons of new tour dates. This please me.

9. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

The new song is great. You can hear the glossy St. Vincent spin but all the Sleater-Kinney hallmarks are there in the grooves.

10. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I like the new song and would love to gt the 7", but $8 for budget shipping? Not paying $18 for 7". Hopefully it gets released through other channels with more reasonable shipping costs.

Technocentral likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I like the new song and sound but generally prefer Corin singing. That single cover with the backwards Carrie butt is pretty terrible though.

pexie likes this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i have a feeling us fellas might be missing the irony in the newly released photos/art.

like the new song as well, but i also generally prefer corin to carrie when it comes to singing.

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I get the irony, same with the cover of St Vincent’s Masseduction that wasn’t her butt either. But the SK image is just not working for me

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Anyone else feel like since their reunion there has been a push towards making Brownstein more of a focal point in the band (perhaps to capitalize on Brownstein's popularity from the Portlandia series?)

Corin is a significantly better singer and brings authority, power to any given SK song. The butt image and Brownstein being in the center of those photos seems like another step in this direction....

Maybe it's just a more productive mentality coming from Brownstein. IDK...

rocknsoul74 likes this.
  15. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Really loving Hurry On Home. Big fan of St. Vincent and its a definite blend of their styles. Look forward to the album

16. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I like the new song a lot - it has a nice "Scary Monsters" feel to it that's different for them.

I hope they come to the UK next year.

Lamus likes this.
  17. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

The song sounds too much like St. Vincent to me with her production...I'm hoping it grows on me however, most of SK's songs do...

18. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

I like the drum tone on the Hurry On Home single but the singing is just ok. I can't wait to hear Corin's lead vocal tracks on this one.

19. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I do not care much for the new song. They have always had a sound that was uniquely and unmistakably their own and this sounds like Metric or something. If the rest of the album is in this vein I will likely be disappointed.

20. manco

manco Forum Resident

So is it a political album?

21. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Tour announced also. Not really coming near me. I was lucky to catch them on the last tour.

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Even though I live in the New York area, I'll probably aim for the Philadelphia show (first) because it's a Sunday. Brooklyn and Hammerstein are work days.

23. Sea Within a Sea

Sea Within a Sea Forum Resident

I don't know if there's been a concerted effort, but that's definitely been a byproduct of Brownstein's career in comedy.

I saw SK a few times between '99 and '05 or so, and I always thought Brownstein was such a badass: the rock-n-roll faces she made while shredding on guitar, the high jumps, the kicks, the Pete Townsend windmills. But when I saw them on the reunion tour, those same things seemed to make people laugh and applaud, like she was doing comedy. Her onstage persona had gone from badassery to comic shtick, like the band had become Tenacious D or something.

I wish I liked the new music, but, man, that new song, to me at least, is dreadful.

DirkM and ElevateMeLater like this.
  24. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Yeah, no disagreement here. It's a weird effect that I am not sure could have been averted.

Corin's singing makes me feel like they are dangerous and it's infectious. Brownstein's singing was usually a novelty for 2-3 songs but now it's just seeped into their sound more and more so that it feels like a change in creative direction to their detriment as a whole. Seems like either way the level of popularity Brownstein had with her foray into comedy was going to have an effect on the band one way or another; not something they could pretend didn't exist.

DirkM and jedilips00 like this.
  25. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

yeah agree with all of this. not a fan of the St Vincent-ization of Sleater-Kinney. They certainly do not need Annie Clark's help, but understand if they wanted to go in a new direction in sound for this record. I'll give it a chance, but if the whole record sounds like this, I'll be bummed - No Cities to Love was a ferocious return to form.

Lamus and cublowell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.