Magic Eraser surface only?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jasyr, May 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasyr

jasyr Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can i cut this pad in layers to use more? Or is it only the surface that has the cleaning properties?

Thanks, j

2. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

It's melamine through-and-through, so cutting it up isn't a problem. I've got a layer sliced off that I clean my stylus with, and will slice another layer off the same sponge down the road when I feel my current piece needs replacing.

Noel Patterson and harby like this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

People cut up cubes and put them on toothpicks to apply while on the tonearm rest.

If you've never used them for actually cleaning, they wear down with use. They keep working until they are paper thin.

4. harby

harby Forum Resident

I cut toothpick-sized slivers off the corners, and use those to tickle around the stylus tip shoulders, when dropping the needle in a cube of the stuff doesn't feel like enough.

The material looks like this magnified; random needle drops isn't going to wear it out:
    [​IMG]

5. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

Here is a 1000X shot I did. Those blades easily break

Magic Eraser as a stylus cleaner?

SandAndGlass and Optimize like this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

It is interesting to compare your magic eraser to the uncleaned stylus tip at exactly the same scale, and speculate about how they interface:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, do you still have access to the microscope? Would be curious to see a really worn stylus, and compare optical examination vs electrons, if it can be coordinated.

7. jasyr

jasyr Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks! very informative... psychedelic even

8. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

That's odd! It looks like some kind of cutting bit, the edge at its apex, but also dull looking! (aside from the point, this does not look like a stylus)

9. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

That is one dirty stylus!

tin ears and classicrocker like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That would be interesting. Here you can really see what a stylus looks like with high magnification. If this stylus was clean, you could readily see and be able to compare a new unworn stylus with a stylus that has wear.

I see people trying to examine a stylus under a 30x light microscope and I can't believe that would provide any sort of useful information, unless there was severe wear on the stylus.

Leonthepro likes this.
  11. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Magic Eraser now comes in sheets.

12. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

13. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I use the ones that come in a block, then cut into smaller hand held cubes tall enough to sit on my plinth and reach the stylus, I hold the cube at its base. Do not use the ones with cleaner, use the plain ones. I slice off slivers when they get dirty to reveal clean white matter, a box of like 2 blocks last quite a long time.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Ori...=magic+eraser&qid=1568234983&s=gateway&sr=8-5

They key is to get the original ones without any adjectives - I think the other types have soap/etc blended in?

16. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I cut a slice off the end of the ME block, a very very thin slice and just 'lick' the stylus with it after each side.

Because it`s all the way through on pad will last forever. Been doing it for over 10 years now with no problems.

17. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Just a quick question...with the "original" eraser(I have just placed an order) do you use it wet or dry?

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For Mr. Clean get ONLY the ones that are called "Original". Not extra strength, not detergent built in, etc., they make umpleteen different kinds now.
    Or get any cheap made-in-china type, those are (virtually) exact copies of the "original" type. If you have a CVS with the $1 dollar aisle, the offbrand one they sell on that aisle (a 2-pack) is ok. The "original" Mr. Clean, and decent copies, is all white and white only. Sometimes Dollar Tree sells a 1-pack of the Mr. Clean Original, in an all-cardboard package, and one is probably a lifetime supply for stylus use.

You use it dry for a stylus. Just lower the stylus straight down and lift it up and out, and repeat a few times.

If you have some real gunk stuck on the stylus, the Magic Eraser will not necessarily remove that. But the ME is fine for general dusting of the stylus.

SandAndGlass and 12" 45rpm like this.
  19. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Dry

20. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

One magic eraser should last forever for cleaning a stylus.

21. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

That work great...and for real stubborn stuff get blue tack that works good as well

22. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

23. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I ordered my Mr Clean Original from the US because it's not available in the UK, and though they may be perfectly fine, I did not want to risk using the different brands of ME sold in the UK.

24. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Very effective for stylus cleaning. I use very lightly every 10 sides or so.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

I picked up white Flash Magic Eraser from Wilko for £1 - works perfect.

The Green Elf and willboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.