Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

How is this BIGGER? It's a nice show and certainly long overdue, but it's what, 24 minutes long (unless they found the missing footage for She's A Woman and Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby). Definitely deserves an official release, but it would pale next to an Abbey Road @ 50 set. Ron

2. brainwashed

They ONLY thing I could see that Apple may think is BIGGER would be something to do with Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other major streaming thing. A re-configured Anthology special event with a tie-in expansive set, maybe sprinkled with some unreleased material, but including all the hits and best ofs. But why would they do this BEFORE the Peter Jackson film? My guess... they won't. Not now. Ron

3. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I can't imagine anything too much bigger than an expanded Abbey Road. It's a sentimental favorite for many as it is the "last recorded album" even though LIB had a feature film as well as an album. But like you suggest, an expanded Anthology release would be pretty big. Maybe an expanded nine-disc CD box, and a special edition with the Anthology video collection as well? I have seen the Anthology vinyl vanish from the wild within the last half-decade and perhaps they could offer a big vinyl box too. I think that would definitely beat an AR box in terms of importance. But I still do want an AR Deluxe Box like they did for Pepper, with a new or surround mix and a decent amount of outtakes.

Another thing that would be "big" to me is the release of the final rooftop concert with Billy P as a standalone album. Just the songs including repeats and some chatter from the crew as it happened. There's enough historical value attached to this from both hardcore fans as well as casual Beatle listeners that I think there really could be some decent market value in pressing up the "last Beatles concert" (or "public performance" technically I suppose) on CD and LP. I know I sure would buy this, and I think many of us would.

I also like that idea someone said earlier about the 1962-66 albums coming out as their own box, that would be a fantastic idea as it would finally answer the question of how they will issue the early albums without a significantly timed anniversary date (i.e. 50 years) and what order would they put them out in. In this case, just put them out all at once. Boom. Like a big boxed set. Throw in a book with a well-written essay on the first half of The Beatles' career, lots of pictures, some replica mini-posters from the tours and movies, and this would be a GREAT box. The only drawback to this is that Revolver (and probably Rubber Soul as well) kind of deserves its own box.

Do you really think they could do a solo Beatle box?!? I've wondered this for years. If it would be easy to do, I assume we would have seen one by now. Would it be logistically possible with all the companies involved?

Lovecraft, DK Pete and Diego Lucas like this.
  4. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I'll rephrase it, then: instead of "bigger" I would say that it would have wider appeal among the general population.

Sure an "Abbey Road" box full of outtakes would be great for hardcore fans, but a nearly complete Beatles concert (however short it is) in excellent quality (and in color) with fantastic sound? It would probably draw more attention, including from those who are not big fans of the band but would like to have such a product at home. Besides, a single DVD (or BD) would cost a lot less than a deluxe box set, so it would sell in higher quantities.

I hope we'll get both Abbey Road and Shea Stadium, of course.

5. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

It's finished, I've seen it but I don't think I've told you friends it will be announced soon or ready to be announced, in fact we are months away from that point plus more for it's release date (already booked)

6. anthony_beat

anthony_beat Forum Resident

According to @maccawings release date AR50 also booked.

It turns out that we are waiting for two releases this year from Apple

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

I would like that... However, in my opinion, Abbey Road is bigger than Shea...

8. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

This could be a stretch yet what if the big event were Paul & Ringo live combined with two other guys on film? A mixed media reunion? :)

Beatle Ed likes this.
  9. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I guess Apple wins

[​IMG]

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'd also like a version of Shea (meaning, with video) in which the sound comes out as it was heard by the audience (similar to the RSD Woodstock album). It sounds like a waste but it would really be an interesting listening/viewing experience...especially for those too young to have experienced Beatlemania in all it's full force and glory.

The Beave and 5th-beatle like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great post. On a solo box, wouldn't they be able to do one at least for the Apple years? That shouldn't be too difficult (and it's that period that would be most in demand).

12. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Maybe a huge Get Back box with the winter of discontent? :D

13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Yes, I do hear two. Things have gone absolutely dead quiet on AR50. But you are correct, there was a tenative release date so I am continuing to operate under the assumption that it is still coming despite the silence

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  14. brainwashed

The two things must be very different. I can't see two major music box sets in 2019. Especially with a BIG Let It Be 50/Peter Jackson Get Back/Let It Be reboot in mid-2020. Ron

15. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

longdist01 likes this.
  16. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Something else Apple related with a 50th Anniversary? John & Yoko maybe?

17. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I hope it isn't two things I really want. It will be tough telling the kids that Santa isn't coming again this year.

18. brainwashed

Kids get too many presents for Christmas:angel:

The Beave and mando_dan like this.
  19. brainwashed

Can't see any solo release that would be considered BIG at this point (2020 is a different ballgame though). What John and Yoko product would be considered BIG? Deluxe Unfinished Music? Yikes!! Ron

20. dsdu

But I fear that within a few years when they turn thirty they'll catch on that
    ="there really isn't a Santa Claus."

FKA002 likes this.
  21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

"How Do You Do it"..The Unreleased Sessions....

Jarek_Venera and Monasmee like this.
  22. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yes, an "Apple years" box would definitely simplify things (I'm assuming) from a legal perspective, and from a historical and fan-based perspective as well. They all scored some good hits in the immediate post-breakup years. I can even remember a short time there where Ringo seemed like the most successful former Beatle! George did a final home run in 1987 with Cloud 9 and not too long after that the Traveling Wilbury's project did a good job of keeping a solo Beatle in the public eye on a regular basis. I think a good solo box could focus on the albums up to "Ringo" but a box focusing on the post-1980 years could tie together the best of George and Paul from that era, which I think was pretty good. Paul got a decent amount of airplay with No More Lonely Nights, especially when the video was "new" on MTV, though the album is generally not regarded as one of his best. I think George did much better than Paul in that decade with Cloud 9, and coming right on the heels of the Beatles CD release, George probably did the most in terms of rekindling Beatles nostalgia in the early CD era. Ringo sat out most of the 1980s until Time Takes Time in the 1990s and as we know sadly we did not have anything more from John...

23. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Different, and sorry can’t hint about it

24. dsdu

Freddie and the Dreamers?

25. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Maccawings, I know you’re a big fan just from reading your posts. Can you at least say if you’re really excited about this other thing?

The Beave and MPLRecords like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.