The Yesterday film, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MGSeveral, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I will give this a wide berth.

Seen some reviews, sounds like a curates egg.

Either way, it seems completely unnecessary.

Dude111 and Keith V like this.
  2. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

Well going from a couple of the reviews I've thread Ed Sheeran is the new Paul McCartney in the acting stakes. His thespian (lack of) skills shown in Game Of Thrones appears to be not a one off.

Mr Day likes this.
  3. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

It's great. Go see. Fab fans will love it. And Ed is ok in it. Don't deny yourself a real pleasure.

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The majority of movies are unnecessary. Most are made to earn money. If they happen to entertain or provide enjoyment to people, that is an added bonus. And if by some miracle, they turn into a timeless artistic creation, then that is rare event.
    For example: The film A Hard Day's Night was made as a quickie to capitalize on the Beatles' early fame. It was made to earn a quick buck before they faded. By a fluke, it turned out to be an all-time classic.
    Help, by contrast, is an enjoyable film (but mostly to fans of the group) and was quite profitable for the film company. But it doesn't turn up on top 100 lists of the best films of all time.

So will the new Yesterday film be good, bad, average, or a classic? Well, it has to come out first, and then we'll see. But regardless, it might entertain the niche of Beatle fans, and thus turn a profit on that basis alone.

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to it as I expect it to be entertaining.

6. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I honestly don't get what it's got to do with being "necessary" or not; we don't know at this point how it'll work technically as a script or whatever but it's a fun concept for the sake of fun and as a huge Beatle fan I look forward to seeing it. We really need to lighten up a bit.

7. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It's a fascinating premise, and I will see the film at some point. I reckon it could render me a bit depressed on the notion that The Beatles never existed. If it takes the great music and puts the songwriting in a more modern, universal place it could further cement the legacy of greatness that is this band. I would like that.

8. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

I think it seems like good fun and I'm looking forward to it, although I don't think it's getting a US release.

lightbulb, ktg807 and Jimbo91 like this.
  9. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

it's coming out June 28th. It's been getting a fair amount of trailer action all spring. I'm not going to see it though, at least not until it hits streaming.

Christian Hill likes this.
  10. Arnold Grove

No. It's getting a USA release. I already have seen TV commercials for it. It comes out at the end of June.

Yesterday (2019) | Movie Site & Trailer | June 28, 2019

Christian Hill and DrBeatle like this.
  11. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I'd be surprised if it didn't. It is directed by Oscar winning director Danny Boyle, whose movies usually have substance and written by Richard Curtis (Four Weddings & A Funeral, Notting Hill etc) whose work is rarely less than witty.

12. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

They had an advanced screening in 10 US cities yesterday. So I think they plan on showing here...

13. mercuryvenus

lightbulb and tug_of_war like this.
  14. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Looks great. I will be going to see it!

Jimbo91 likes this.
  15. mercuryvenus

Sometimes films only get limited releases here. Glad to see it looks like this is actually getting wide release.

Jimbo91 likes this.
  16. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I think it looks fun and the premise is clever. I'll see it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Arnold Grove

:laughup: I see what you did there!! ;)

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I had never heard of it ..... watched the trailer .... more meaningless, but possibly fun stuff

Fullbug likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

One thing that really interests me is how they'll bring an alternate reality into the non-reality of the actual premise...meaning-and I saw this in one of the early trailers-the fellow who stole all those great songs is, at one point, going to be confronted by the fact that there are "two guys" who claim authorship for all these great songs he's written. Interesting.

20. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

I’ve seen the previews for it...not interested.

Now, what would make it more interesting is a Michael Jackson-inspired pop star buying the publishing rights from the main character.

21. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Last year we got a Queen movie, this year we get a Beatles movie, an Elton John movie, and a Bruce Springsteen themed movie.

Who's next? The Who? The Stones? Billy Joel?

tug_of_war, Vinyl_Blues and DK Pete like this.
  22. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I suspect that the trailers may be doing the movie a disservice. It is being sold as a straightforward romantic comic fantasy, But as noted earlier, this is a Danny Boyle movie. He doesn't do that kind of thing. He doesn't make dumb movies or insubstantial/superficial movies.

23. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

Still waiting for the Kinks film that was announced...and the Shaggs!

tug_of_war likes this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

WTF...

"This film is not necessary"? Name me a film that is "necessary".

And all the hating on Ed Sheeran, who doesn't have much more than a cameo appearance in the film? Really? Is that where you're gonna start in assessing the film?

I haven't seen it. I can't say it's great. But the comments in this thread are so far inane.

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Terrible premise that bothers me significantly, so I'll be skipping it. It's going on my permanent "Will not see" list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.