Game of Thrones: The Final Season (April 14, 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Parachute Woman, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Perfect, as this is what is likely to happen with the books.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There were only 71 episodes of Game of Thrones. There have been tons of TV shows that had far more episodes than this, and I think they were ultimately affordable on home video. Breaking Bad had 62 episodes and the Blu-ray box sells for $75 right now on Amazon. I would bet it will eventually be under $100.

They will charge more for the 4K HDR Blu-ray, but those discs are more expensive to make. I think those are very collectible, since HBO never aired this specific version -- and it looks a lot better than the regular show that most people saw.

TimM likes this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Okay, but how many were this big and this popular? HBO will take advantage of the popularity by charging a lot for this. While the price will go down over time, I will be surprised if the box set of the entire series on DVD sells initially for under $150 (Blu-ray will be more).

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It eventually comes down. Be patient. It's just a few dozen pieces of plastic -- there's nothing special about it.

HBO could very well market super-deluxe boxed sets for $500+, like one that includes a Valeryian steel sword, plus a replica of Jaime Lannister's golden hand, or Theon's sliced appendage. (I'm reminded of how AMC sold a more-expensive limited-edition set of Breaking Bad in a miniature 50-gallon oil drum.) But the regular mass-market edition will be affordable... eventually.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Anyone know who was doing that cover of "This Corrosion", near the end of the doc?

6. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

We watched the doc tonight and I agree, other than I don't think season 8 was botched. It was interesting to see the behind-the-scenes bits but only to a point. We saw more of the meal truck lady than we did of any of the cast.

I got the feeling that, other than Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington (and the Night King actor), none of the main cast agreed to be filmed off-set. Dinklage made a brief appearance in the make-up chair and made a snarky comment about cameras being behind him. It felt like his next words were "turn them off". Oh well..

7. vince

Pip appeared for a few minutes on tonight's episode of "Chernobyl".

DLeet and tommy-thewho like this.
  8. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Saw the doc tonight. Was hoping they would show Ramin Djawadi at work and the sound/mixing sessions. Guess not. Pretty awesome doc nonetheless.

vince and Dinstun like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A devastated S8 youtuber (quite a character - Dicktor Van Doomcock) has come up with his own alternate conclusion to Game Of Thrones. He takes things from episode 3 of the final season and, IMO, comes up with an epic conclusion that is light-years ahead of what we actually got. It would have been a fitting conclusion to an epic story.

Here is his take:

Deuce66, GodShifter, Dayfold and 2 others like this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Dagmer Cleftjaw was also in Chernobyl.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I saw a commercial for the upcoming Charlie Manson show, if I'm not mistaken, Sam's girl; Gilly, is one of Charlie's girls now!

12. vince

Sounds like a 'talk-show'!:laugh:
    "HEeeeeeeeeeeeere's CHARLIE!"

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

If the behind the scenes look at GOT from last Sunday showed anything about Kit, it perhaps shed a little bit of light into what it's like to be John Snow aka Kit Harrington. To go from an unknown actor to a multi millionaire star of the biggest show on TV can probably mess with your head and now that it's all over, what now?

Kit Harington checks into wellness retreat after 'Game of Thrones' finale - CNN

(CNN)"Game of Thrones" star Kit Harington has reportedly checked into a wellness retreat to deal with "personal issues," after the blockbuster series came to an end.

"Kit has decided to utilize this break in his schedule as an opportunity to spend some time at a wellness retreat to work on some personal issues," a representative for the actor told the Reuters news agency. Harington's representatives in London declined to comment to CNN.
    Harington, who played Jon Snow throughout the show's eight-year run, has spoken openly in the past about his struggles dealing with fame, and the emotional adjustment he was forced to make after the conclusion of the hit series.

GodShifter and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Charlie Says

Matt Smith as Manson, WTF?

Hannah plays Leslie Van Houten

Charlie Says (2018) - IMDb

15. vince

"LOVE MY GOOD & PLENTY!"

JackBnimble likes this.
  16. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Wow, that would have been a terrific ending! Really great stuff, the narrator took me right back into the show and it felt properly satisfying to be able to internally visualise a truly worthwhile and intelligent ending. Well worth half an hour to listen to. Cheers.

17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Same thing happened to Jon Hamm after Mad Men. Difficult to feel sorry for these actors who are ultra successful and wealthy, but clearly they pay the toll in other ways.

Apple auto-upgrades the digital copies that come with the Blu-ray sets to 4K, so I'm not sure I will be splurging on the 4K set. I don't see one offered on Amazon yet. Speaking of digital copies, Amazon and iTunes, streaming is replacing all optical formats (sadly), and I think aside from nutcases like us on this forum, the public at large is done with owning libraries as private property--particularly gen x, y and millennials. It has rapidly become about paying tech goliaths or their proxies a monthly fee for streaming services. I'm sure the sales for GoT complete sets will be robust, relatively speaking, but the writing is on the wall.

18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Has a 4K box set been announced? I can see a Collectors Edition Blu Ray set on Amazon ($329 list) but no 4K...........

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I want to listen to this, but at this point in my day: TLDL.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They would be fools not to. I know 100% for a fact that the show is being mastered in 4K HDR, so it's all up to HBO (who owns the show). My guess is several different boxed sets will be out before Xmas.

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Likewise with regard to no 4K set, but the Amazon price is "only" $250 for the regular blu-ray set.

Amazon.com: game of thrones 4k ultra hd blu-ray

22. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I was disappointed that they didn't really show much more than the two 'main' stars in it. I would've liked to have seen Jamie and Cersei's last days on set.

Veech likes this.
  23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

60 minutes did a great segment a few weeks ago, interviews with almost all the major stars and cool behind-the-scenes stuff.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Some very good basic ideas are presented that add needed weight to the entire Lord of Light arc and the Night King. Flesh out storylines for a whole lot of characters and there's your final season.

vince likes this.
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

It's fan-service tripe.