Rhino's Summer of Love '69 Vinyl issues in July - Dead 2/28/29, etc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Here is link to Rhino's Summer of Love 69 vinyl releases over 3 weeks in July. The releases that are included 4 Woodstock vinyl issues - Woodstock 1, Woodstock 2, Woodstock 3 and Woodstock 4 (all as separate sets), and one that really catches my eye and wallet:

5-LP set that captures the Grateful Dead performing live in the band's hometown. FILLMORE WEST, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 2/28/68 is pressed on 180-gram black vinyl and available for $99.98.

So this will be the second show from the original Fillmore West box set (long OOP on CD) that will be released on vinyl!!

There are other items of interest coming out.

Rhino’s Summer Of ’69 Vinyl Series Features Two New Woodstock Compilations And More This July | Rhino Media

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
  2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

In for the Dead set! I’m glad they are carrying on these sets. I’m guessing this is why it wasnt the RSD release

ODShowtime likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks for posting

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I know the Dead played a lot of shows, but I had no idea they did one in 1929!

Great Uncle John's Band? :p

5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Oh wow that Grateful Dead box set looks incredible! Total no-brainer purchase for me.

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

LOL - I reported my error in the thread title to the gorts yesterday, but they never changed "29" to "69" like I asked.

MikeM likes this.
  7. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I’m cautiously excited about the Tim Buckley box set. I say cautiously because as per the press release it’s slated for release in early July and no sign of it in Amazon etc. as of yet.

DeRosa likes this.
  8. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Aren't these special Rhino series usually indie record stores exclusives ? In which case, it'd make sense for them not to show up on Amazon yet.

DeRosa likes this.
  9. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. I am interested in the Tim Buckley box, especially if mastered by Chris Bellman :agree:

DeRosa likes this.
  10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Agreed, that would be great.

Ian Sefchick at Capitol cut the 50th Anniversary Rhino Goodbye & Hello (mono) from the 2017 Summer of Love reissue,
    but i'd love to hear that CB cut this box, from the stereo tapes, and hopefully they get the USA version pressed at RTI.
    Some Rhino's have been beautiful Tip-On jackets, others thin direct to board printed, with any luck this set will be
    up to the Buffalo Springfield set standard.

This piece mentions the set is 140 gram vinyl, hopefully that is pressed at Pallas, like some
    of the Neil Young rhino stuff.

UPDATED WITH ORDER LINKS: Let The Sunshine In: Rhino Celebrates Woodstock Era With “Summer of ’69” Vinyl Reissue Series, New Woodstock Compilations - The Second Disc

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Bullmoose in the US has a listing up. These sets are usually for indie stores, I would think Sonic Boom will be getting them.
    Tim Buckley - The Album Collection 1966-1972

12. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Good to hear. Looking forward to this one.

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I checked in with forum member Steel Woole who works at Rhino for the details on the Tim Buckley box set,
    he confirmed these are from the stereo tapes, cut by Ian Sefchick at Capitol from Archived Masters.
    Vinyl will be pressed at Optimal (same versions for the world). Direct-to-board jackets.

jlf likes this.
  14. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Curious to know who cut Moondance.

15. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Glad the 3LP Woodstock is being reissued. Why its has to be blue or pink vinyl, though. Just a regular black with the Cotillion label should work.

16. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Yet another repress of the Gray/Hoffman cut, perhaps ?

17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Hope the Dead release shows up on amazon soon

18. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Wasn’t the summer of love in 67 instead of 69 ?

19. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Cool to see the Love Four Sail LP. Underrated record over shadowed by the first three.

20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I don't think it will, but it's available at bullmoose $99 shipped no taxes.

21. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Woodstock 3 and 4 frustrate me. I could make one killer 3 lp set from those but they seem a bit watered down for my taste. Just not sure they will be worth the money. Just give me the damn Who set please ...

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'll definitely be picking that one up.

Summerisle likes this.
  23. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Not overly happy with this news. I dont think I have anything mastered by Mr Sefchick, if anyone does do you rate it highly?

24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Unfortunately they don’t ship internationally

25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I have several Lp's mastered recently by Sefchick at Capitol, he cut lacquers for some of the contemporary Blue Note artists (Jose James),
    he also did the Mono Summer of Love edition of Goodbye & Hello. In my opinion his stuff is way better than Ron McMaster's recent work,
    that would be worst case scenario. I just wonder if Capitol has a digital preview head. My hope was this would be a really deluxe package,
    with really nice presentation and pull all the stops. I mean, Tim Buckley isn't exactly a house hold name, this is likely the only time these
    Lp's will appear in a vinyl box set, it would have been nice if it was the definitive version. We know Rhino has done really killer work in the
    past, this seems designed to keep the price at a moderate level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.