What's your opinion of Dylan's "born again" albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Helter Skelter, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Slow Train Coming, Saved and Shot of Love?
    Even as a religious man myself, I find them somewhat dull. Though I do like Gotta Serve Somebody and think that Slow Train is the best of the three. What says you?

Jimmy B. and DavidD like this.
  2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Righteous! I play Saved more than the others and I'm so glad, yes,I'm so glad.

3. I wasn’t thrilled back when they came out, but I have grown to really like Gotta Serve Somebody, which holds up well on the Essential Bob Dylan set

KeninDC likes this.
  4. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I wasn't going to get that box edition but I did. And, Bob plays with passion and interest in what he is doing. What's not to like?

5. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Love them all.

6. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

As an outspoken atheist who's always gladly up for some hard debate about religious believes, I adore these albums. For years I passed up on them simply based on their critics and imagining Dylan going soft singing and strumming 'happy go round I found Jesus' songs. What was I thinking???!!! The moment I heard the first notes of 'Satisfied Mind' I was stunned and this period of his now belongs to my very favourite musical phases by anyone! I'm fascinated by his religious viewpoints and the vigour he gets them across.

7. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I love that box too. Bob delivered the stuff live. But these 3 albums rank near the bottom on my Dylan list -- just dull. Every Grain of Sand is probably the only song I would miss if these albums disappeared.

richierichie likes this.
  8. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

As a youngster at a Catholic School I had religion shoved down my throat every-which-way. By the time I was 11, I reasoned my life would be secular from that point on.

When Dylan became 'born again', I couldn't bring myself to listen to 'The Holy Trilogy' for a good while.

I bought 'Shot Of Love' around 1984 and I enjoyed it but never bothered with 'Slow Train Coming' until The B.S. release of 'Trouble No More'. By that time I was able to appreciate the beauty of some of these songs but unable to understand Dylan's motives. Was he 'born again' or was it a fad, probably both I reckon.

I still can't listen to 'Saved' and I detest the cover.

Archtop and palisantrancho like this.
  9. dickens12@excite

dickens12@excite Forum Resident

It was said at the time that he had simply found another set of metaphors to write about. Consider me another atheist fan.

cporcp, bzfgt, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  10. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

Since I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Christian it took me a while to get around to hearing these. I do not respond well to most artists preaching God and Jesus. That being said, I think the songs on Slow Train Coming are very strong and I like his performance style of this era. (The "bookend" albums of this era, Street Legal and Infidels, are the Dylan albums I play most.) I'm less fond of the songs on Shot of Love, and Saved is unapproachable for this heathen.

palisantrancho and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Helped lead me to the Lord.

I love them.

pabs, bataclan2002, Keith V and 12 others like this.
  12. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

I don't share the beliefs that Dylan was espousing, but I love those albums. I saw three of the gospel shows in 1980, including one with the son of a prominent evangelist - funnily enough, he only wanted to hear the old stuff while I just wanted the new songs.

Jarleboy, cporcp, Zeki and 6 others like this.
  13. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I'm not religious but I think Slow Train Coming and Shot of Love ( despite leaving off some of the best material from the latter) are brilliant albums and Saved is excellent, I agree with the criticism that the studio versions pale in comparison with the live versions of the Saved songs but still rate the album highly.
    He's in great voice on all 3 albums.

14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Love 'em, but I love every Dylan album, really.

15. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

"The strongest wall will crumble and fall to a mighty God," sayeth Bob. Who am I to argue against these records? They're great!

16. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

Some of his best material scattered around in there: "When He Returns" (last song on Slow Train Coming) is powerful- one of my favorite, most expressive vocals by anyone.

Jarleboy, Fred68, bzfgt and 7 others like this.
  17. iloveguitars

iloveguitars Forum Resident

I love Slow Train Coming from start to finish, great songs with that sweet Mark Knopfler tone where required.

Jarleboy, Fred68, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  18. Pierino

Pierino Forum Resident

I think they are boring.

19. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I think theyre excellent

20. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

Saved was the most pleasant surprise in his discography for me - I expected it to be dreadful and avoided it for years, but I really like it. That Gospel/Soul feel is just right. It's a nice flavour in his career.
    I Believe In You from STC is another highlight of the era, just shimmeringly beautiful. Imagine what Aretha or Otis could've done with that.

Jarleboy, Zeki, Fred68 and 3 others like this.
  21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Better to have an artist compose and record what he is passionate about at that time.
    You can't accuse him of "let's serve up whatever" just to put out another album.

Jarleboy, RubenH, Fred68 and 6 others like this.
  22. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Slow Train Coming is terrific.

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I love the first half of Slow Train, second half is just OK. I never warmed to Saved, though "Solid Rock" and "Pressing On" are great. Shot of Love is one of my favorite Dylan albums -- it's different than the prior two which are more fire and brimstone, calling down the wrath of God on a sinful world, Shot of Love has more personal testimony and is more of an examination of both the challenges of hanging on to one's faith and actually has moments where you can hear some peace and succor that faith maybe brought Dylan in the form of "In the Summertime" and "Every Grain of Sand," which I think is the best song he ever wrote.

I'm not a religious believer or a person of faith, but I am often enamored of religious and spiritual music of all different sorts.

24. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

I love all three of them.

bataclan2002 and Fred68 like this.
  25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Saved is an inside album, the beginning of his sanctification realization. It makes sense if you are a believer, but not if you're not. Shot Of Love seems to me just like the cartoon cover...a messy blast of confusion all over the place. But, Every Grain Of Sand being some kind of benediction and peaceful landing amidst the chaos.

Fred68 and Richard--W like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.