Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

That scarce CD has the same levels at my found in the bins Japan for US CD. My 52 year old ears are pleased. The collector in me would like to find a vintage UK Harvest CD.

2. Ajax133

Ajax133 Well-Known Member

Sure, I want to believe but this is too perfect, anyway, The world needs a Animals Live album. Here is a picture from the melody maker, picture who shows Roger and they sound engineer with some tapes, in a backstage on Germany [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2019
    GoodKitty, hiterss, ponkine and 8 others like this.
  3. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

This could be sound effects as well

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

As mentioned by @EdwinM just before I started typing my response, the reel-to-reel was used for tape effects during the show.

The cassettes are from "open air" Nak recordings deemed unworthy for a professional release. In regards to the the conjecture that Roger sometimes shouted out numbers during Pigs (3DO) to identify each show, that has to be one of the most stupid and unreliable ways to catalog it. Why not simply label the tape? Duh.

At this point the release of anything other than a stand alone SACD of Animals seems unlikely.

Frans T, drum_cas, RangerXT and 5 others like this.
  5. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

Wow, it almost sounds as if you think a stand alone SACD of Animals is likely!

Audiowannabee likes this.
  6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

My understanding is that it is pretty much a done deal, but is delayed for some bureaucratic reason.

Coricama, snkcube, NunoBento and 2 others like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This is completely new to me. What's the source of it?

8. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Sound effects tapes...... In fact, more than likely they're the backing tracks that also had the click tracks on them.....

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  9. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

So any word of when that 5.1 sacd will make it out of the gate????

Everyone waiting on 5.1 animals
    Everyone waiting on doobies quadio

monoman and Dennis Metz like this.
  10. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Do you know the reason for this? Was it simply oversight or did Waters not want anything recorded?

Hard to believe that in a decade where every band was releasing a live album, one of the biggest bands of the time didn’t record anything.

11. central616

central616 Forum Resident

AFAIK he shouted the numbers to indentify bootlegs, not their own recordings.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In that case they should release the audience tape(s) from the Oakland gig officially. That's at least something for the box set's live portion!

RangerXT and zinan like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Pages ago here it was mentioned that Aubrey Powell thinks an Animals related product will come out (early) next year.

14. rontoon

The 5.1 mix was completed some time ago and was advertised to be released on SACD in 2019. Internal politics are holding it up, AFAIK.

Why weren't any shows professionally recorded? The same reason that nothing was filmed during their hayday before The Wall shows. They simply didn't think of doing it.

They won't release the Oakland show because it's the same quality as all the open air Nak recordings which were deemed not good enough to release.

drum_cas, RangerXT, JediJoker and 4 others like this.
  15. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

Yes and Guthrie said The Wall was coming out about 6 years ago. Here's hoping for (2) miracles.

16. rontoon

Totally unrelated. The Wall's multi-tracks are in very bad shape. The 5.1 mix for Animals is done and has been advertised for a 2019 release. Big difference.

17. rez21

rez21 Well-Known Member

Understood. I just find it hard to believe anything from these guys. Here's hoping..

RangerXT and JediJoker like this.
  18. Ajax133

Yes, they have the sound effects in tapes. Look, I just want a live album of Animals and footage or sonething like that, I think they have something in some vault, in some place, 42 years, in 42 years you forget a lot of things. And I hope a release of The Wall live in Earls Court 1981, Blu Ray or sonething like that, Mr Waters is a lazy

19. Ajax133

I heard Waters shouting numbers in some dates on pigs three different ones,
    Truly, I never pay attention to that think

20. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

It's so strange that Floyd didn't film gigs from 72-77. I mean especially by the later years it was becoming a big thing in rock, Woodstock was a huge hit. The Stones released Gimme Shelter and Ladies and Gentlemen, Zeppelin released TSRTS, Bowie had the Ziggy movie. So many of their peers were capitalizing on the format at the time and yet Floyd didn't even attempt it, despite being arguably a bigger draw than any of them at the time? It'd be hard enough to believe they just weren't in touch and totally missed the boat on it, but then you realize they beat most of them to the touch by filming Pompeii! So they were ahead of the curve and then as their shows got more visually interesting they totally backed off from the idea of videoing it. It's really just such an incredible oversight. I think that's why people just have such a hard time coming to grips with the fact that there really might not be footage from a half decade peak that was one of the highest peaks of any band in the history of modern music.

21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

They got ripped off by the distributor of the Pompeii film, that's why

22. Ajax133

It's so sad

ODShowtime likes this.
  23. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

Which is frustrating for those of us with a complete set of 5.1 releases on Blu-ray and a Blu-ray player that is not SACD-compatible!

24. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

This may shed some light on the tape deck:

(Mick) Kluczynski, who on this tour (The Animals Tour) handed his effects tapes responsibilities to studio engineer Brian Humphries and took on the role of production manager, comments: "This was the first tour we did where we had to use click tracks and the music synchronized to the film, hence Roger Waters needed to wear headphones."

https://pfco.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/band/interviews/art-rev/art-sos2.html

Edit: on a Floyd show - you'd have a standard FOH console for the band and a Quad desk for effects. Which would explain the multi track tape machine.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    GoodKitty, snkcube, RangerXT and 4 others like this.
  25. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Go pickup a cheap sony ubp x800