Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii remix/reissue?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by central616, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. central616

central616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the "The Early Years Realiz/ation" thread, someone (@rontoon ?) suggested that James Guthrie was doing a new remix of Live at Pompeii and will be released soon.
    Since then, I didn't hear nor read anything about that.

So, what happened to this "new" mix?

dirie, andrewskyDE and NunoBento like this.
  2. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I don't know in what stage the production is now, but there's a new transfer of the original film reels for a forthcoming Blu-Ray release and a new Guthrie mix to accompany.
    My guess is that it should be almost ready as there were rumours that it would be released last year, but it was pushed probably due to the Animals Box which, as we know, didn't happen either.

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No box for Animals, AFAIK. Only stand alone SACD which is delayed due to internal politics.

Not sure about status of Pompeii.

4. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Would be nice if they reassembled Echoes into a single track - what are the odds they'd do that? Maybe as a standalone RSD? Echoes on one side, Careful, One of these Days & Set the Controls on the other?

Chew, TheSeldomSeenKid and NunoBento like this.
  5. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

Off topic, I used to love the VHS tape, which contained the movie and just the right amount of interview footage. Tge DVD "directors cut" with Windows 95 era space animation and slo-mo footage of Gilmour smiling was horrible. I would hope the Blu ray fixes that and contains the original movie and vhs version.

6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Dream!

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The version that's included on the Early Years set does feature "Echoes" as one complete track. Basically, this version of the movie just features the music, not the little interview bits in between, so it's more concise. It also has a 5.1 mix, though not prepared by Guthrie. Unfortunately, it still has the cheesy computer graphics that they added later, but I still enjoy this presentation of the material.

Studio_Two, fishcane and albertop like this.
  8. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

That's unfortunate. An "Animals" box is entirely possible. I actually thought it would have received an IMMERSION set during the "Why Pink Floyd...?" re-release campaign. Something like...

DISC 1 - CD - "Animals"
    - Remaster / New Mix

DISC 2 - CD - Extin/ction - Extra/ction
    - Alternate versions sourced from Original Demo Tapes and 8track, cassette, promo single mixes

DISC 3 - CD - Live - "Animals ~ In The Flesh" Best of the 1977 Tour
    - A collection of some of the best performances from the 1977 Tour "featuring consistent high fidelity and discreet surround sound as heard at the original shows"

DISC 4 - DVD/BRD - "Animals"
    - The Video Album (vintage films, live footage, newly animated sequences based on Gerald Scarfe's original "Animals" designs)
    - 5.1 Surround Sound Mix

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

From what I heard Maben regrets messing with the original to create the Director's Cut so there's a good chance that the Blu-ray will feature the original film.

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There was an exhibition in Pompeii couple years ago and people were hoping of an announcement of the film's restored version there.
    I could be wrong but wasn't there talk of a limited theatrical showing of the film prior a release on Blu-ray?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  11. central616

I want the original movie with original audio. The band perform the song in two parts, so that the way I want to listen to it. You have the studio version or the BBC one, or all the bootlegs.
    Please leave Pompeii as it is.
    And, why you omitted ASOS? Such a great version...

P.S.: please no RSD. This record should be available to everyone, no to a limited number of people in a limited countries around the world.

12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

13. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Che, desculpa, I didn't mean an edit to the film - I agree the film should remain in it's original form. I'm talking about something unique for a limited audience. There aren't a ton of people out there who are hoping they get to play a vinyl record that has a complete un-broken performance of the Pompeii Echoes (Maybe I'm one of three, who knows). And the only reason I picked those other three songs for side-two is because of the time constraints of an LP side. I love that ASOS as well. Of course, we all know this will never happen, so I'm not deluding myself, just dreaming. Maybe my dream is different from yours.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

The 1974 theatrical version is my favourite.

15. central616

16. central616

Ok, got it. I'm not a vinyl guy.
    We are in the middle of that format revival, so probably you gonna be lucky!

Clucking likes this.
  17. central616

I prefer the original 60 minute version. I find the studio footage somewhat out of place, unrelated to the performance and to the concept of the film.
    However, it's a nice "extra".

graveyardboots and sathvyre like this.
  18. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

The remix in the box set was a HUGE disappointment. The beautiful, raw sound in the film was polished to what seemed to be a "studio-like sheen" that completely killed the vibe of the recording. If this does get released separately, I hope it is not the version in The Early Years box.

fishcane likes this.
  19. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Any news on an official Pompeii DVD/Blu-ray?

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Floyd and Zeppelin move at glacial pace, decisions ratification sign off.

Here's to global warming let's see things move a little quicker

21. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

They already did that.
    IIRC, the version of Pompeii that is included in the Early Years box set has got the full Echoes reunited.

duggan and Clucking like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.