Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. van1

van1 Forum Resident

It will be interesting to find out if this is an audio rip as I don't see how that would fit in the copyright loop hole, and I would expect Floyd's lawyers to kill this before it gets off the ground. I wonder if they chose to use better sources as a way to get around the copyrighted releases...

rontoon likes this.
  2. progcode

progcode Forum Resident

I just discovered this dropout (and lack of dropout on bootlegs) independently and did a search. Your complaint was the only reference to this that I found. I agree this is odd and disappointing. I am a totally amateur (but reasonably experienced) sound editor, and I would easily be able to use Audacity to stitch a small patch from the bootleg source into the dropout area on the Early Years version. Otherwise the Early Years version sounds better than the boot. The resulting edit would be better than the dropout version they released.

RAZORMADE, andrewskyDE and rnranimal like this.
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The bootleg was from an acetate that was cut when the tape was still fresh. They used the old tape on the Early Years which now has some damage. I agree it would've been easy to fix the dropout and they should've but had they given that level of attention to the set, a number of things would've been different. I dare say I could make the edit undetectable by ear.

progcode, Philrock90 and cwitt1980 like this.
  4. progcode

progcode Forum Resident

Another example of where they did not give proper attention is the song "Blues" on the "1967―1972 Continu/ation" disc. They misidentified it as being from a BBC session in 1968, but it was instead from a BBC broadcast of a live performance in 1971. But they also failed to list the actual title of the song which is "Alan's Blues".

And on that same disc "1967―1972 Continu/ation", the last song on the disc is from 1974.

Couldn't they have just auditioned some volunteer Pink Floyd nerds to come in and help for a while?

5. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Also the later BBC sessions from 71 are mono and sound horrible yet theres stereo bootlegs out there

progcode likes this.
  6. central616

central616 Forum Resident

Except "Embryo" which, although in mono, sounds better than the stereo bootlegs because they are from an inferior radio source.
    I will try to repair the dropout in "Lucy Leave". Never noticed it before,
    but I didn't listen to the song more than two or three times.

progcode and Philrock90 like this.
  7. Dan_71

Dan_71 Active Member

What do you mean ? All the 1971 concert ? I like the sound of it even it's in mono.

The blues encore in the Continuation set is in stereo. .. and not so bad sounding.

For me the big disappointment of this box is the bad quality of the 67-68 BBC tracks and the absence of Ummagumma's Interstellar Overdrive.

I don't care about the remix of OBC and the Pompei tracks. .. we all have them.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. Philrock90

Echoes in mono just doesn't sound right after hearing it on bootlegs in stereo for so long as for the pompeii remix thats horrible

pinktree1 and rontoon like this.
  9. Dan_71

Dan_71 Active Member

Completely agree with you concerning Pompeii.

And what about the 1972 Rainbow concert ? Something would have been possible, wouldn't it ?
    (And not to speak the 3 OBC songs that were played live)

I think the 1972 box is a failure sonically and in the content...

But Hey I'm glad to have the Early Years box set nevertheless.^^

10. Philrock90

I've never actually listened to the Rainbow show i hear that one of them atleast are really good, but i agree it lacks in some ways but its still great to have

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

An iconic show, fair performance and great recording.

12. Dan_71

Dan_71 Active Member

Yeah I've listen to it on YouTube.

And Thank you Rontoon to have pointed out this beautiful version of Childhood's End in Brussels.

13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I finally got the technology to extract Meddle 5.1 and the stereo remix yesterday, and have a couple questions about the SQ and didn’t see the answer by looking through the threat and searching other threads:

Questions:
    • Echoes - the beginning piano note bounces back and forth/to and fro for a while. When Rick’s contribution expands and Dave’s guitar comes in, they are steady as a rock. Does everyone have this? It was a bold decision on Jackson’s part if it is, as there is tape hiss bouncing as well, and I think it takes away from the impact.
    • It is on the stereo mix as well. Is the stereo mix just a fold down of the 5.1 mix?
    • If so, I wonder if the OBC new stereo mix is just a fold down of the yet-to-be-released 5.1 version of that album.
    Observations:
    • One Of These Days - sounds more like a fun, cool, quad mix to me! Never one of my favorite PF songs, it is an enjoyable new way to experience this track.
    • A Pillow Of Winds - so crisp and spacious! I think this is the best sounding track on the 5.1 mix.
    • Fearless - my fave song on side 1, and it sounds really good and open, but I wish it had a bit more bottom end a la Roger’s bass in Echoes. It goes LOW
    • San Tropez - Roger’s voice is amazingly omnipotent on this one. Super cool!
    • Echoes - I am definitely hearing lots I hadn’t heard before—including Dave and Rick’s mouths opening far more!

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  14. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

^^ very cool! I don't have the full box so can't access the hidden mixes but your comments and questions make me drool and anxious/excited for a proper release of Meddle and Obscured... in 5.1!

Kristofa likes this.
  15. Kristofa

I hope they do too!

I have been sitting on this hidden gem for About a year promising myself I wouldn’t buy a blu-Ray drive for the computer until my old DVD drive died. It finally died, and the pieces fell into place. My wife said that I am the most patient person she knows. Hopefully we won’t need so much patience for the standalone releases! :whistle:

JulesRules and duneman like this.
  16. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Just to confirm, the bass solo in the middle of 'One of These Days' on the 24/96 stereo remix pans aggressively left to right?

17. Kristofa

Cool. Does your Echoes ping back and forth?

18. Philrock90

Where can i get a download of the new stereo mix off the early years?

19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

No doubt it is out there in internet land somewhere. I have not seen a boot but then I have not looked. Officially I would guess it is still somewhere within the Early Years box as I would guess it has not sold out so I would not think it has been repressed. I am lucky a friend worked out how to extract the Meddle remix and I have it on a usb. All a bit annoying really but that's life.

20. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The annoying part is no Obscured By Clouds!

21. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

i' m just discovering this post of 352 pages and those lives . for years i had the 16 july 1971 bootleg in london. could anybody tell me if this concert is on one set ? and does it have a good sound ? thanks

22. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

It isn't, no.

23. central616

central616 Forum Resident

I think you are wrongly refering to the concert at BBC's Paris Theatre on 16/07/1970, not 1971, which is included in the Devi/ation set in great quality.

24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

he's probably talking about 9/30/71 Paris Theater London

25. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Hang On a minute. I heard the surround mix that was hidden on the data of the disc, but never heard the stereo remix!
    What do you guys make of it?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019