Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't see a thread like this and decided to start one.

Got my Parasound A21 a little more than 2 weeks now. Using it to drive my Paradigm Signature S2 mains (as part of 5.1 playback system), I am very happy with the results. I listened to Two Men with the Blues this morning and this is the first time ever I don't have listener's fatigue after playing multiple songs loud. I believe the main reasons of the improvement is due to the initial 10 watts of class A power.

Owners of Paramount amps, do share your thoughts here. Thanks!

2. Not an owner but would love to audition a Halo Hint 6.

3. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I wanted to purchase a power amp to see me through the next few years. I bought the Parasound JC5. I had the A21 previously but I wanted more power. So far so good. If you have the resources I would step up to the recently released '+' products.

4. pdxway

Nice! My local store claims that JC5 is even better than JC1.

You mentioned more power. It means better bass control? Any other advantages over a21? Thanks!

5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I lust after an A21 on occasion ... yeah, I probably don't need it, some folks say an A23 (or 2) should sound just as good, etc. etc. ... but I would always wonder ... ack! now there are + versions and a JC5 (which is probably outta my price range). Have to eventually check on the + and whether new vs. used standard model would make the most sense to me.

I currently use small monitors and a pair of 300B tube amps but did get the P 7 preamp several years ago, love it. Use some Monitor Silver 7s in my home theater separate setup, thinking an A21 would drive them really well in a combo or standalone stereo setup. Going to move & set up new large dedicated 'bonus room' man cave in our new Idaho home over the next year ... lots to consider!

pdxway likes this.
  6. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The A21+ is fantastic, but I've been extremely impressed with my A23+ demo. Not sure there's much out there that will touch it at the price point.

7. pdxway

I have three a23. Two currently being used in the same 5.1 setup. I would say go for a21 if you can. I have not heard a23+, thus can't comment about it.

SandAndGlass and Rick58 like this.
  8. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’ve always wanted to hear the new Parasound stuff. I have an inexpensive phono amp that i use, which works for me.

Monty12 and pdxway like this.
  9. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

For years I have been impressed with their equipment. In regard to their power amplifiers, they just keep on keeping on, I've never had one fail! I had Jeff Rowland equipment, pre-amp and amp and finally after over 15 years, sold all of it and bought more Parasound. They have a service department that is second to none, they are a very strong company, very competitive with their products, and you can reach their President, Richard, at almost any time. I could not recommend a brand more highly.

[​IMG]

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I appreciate that Parasound is one of the few who actually have bass management in 2-channel equipment. It's spreading, but still quite rare, so kudos to them.

11. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I've been aware of Parasound for a long time, but it wasn't until recently that I tried them out. I started with a ZoneMaster 650 for an outdoor system and liked it so much, I decided to replace my integrated in my apartment system with a 200 Pre and 275 V2 Amp. I was looking at the Halo line, but needed something that ran cooler, and 90 Watts is enough for my monitors. Like the ZoneMaster 650, the 200 and 275 have lots of useful features and sound great.

Monty12 and pdxway like this.
  12. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Analog, stereo BM always gets a "like" from me.

Dignan2000, Monty12, BDC and 2 others like this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

the manual does not recommend bridging the a23+ for mono use with 4-ohm speakers. what about bridging them for nominal 8-ohms with dips to 4-ohms ~ 100 to 250 Hz?

14. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

I was told this is safe by Parasound. Ultimately I opted an A21.

On a different note. What is everyone using for interconnects and speaker wire? I am currently using Monoprice stageright XLR's between the P6 and A21, and BJC RCA's between everything else, Mogami W3103 speaker wire. I'd like to hear some opinions on connects/wires that made a positive difference with their Parasound gear.

Big John1270, bever70 and pdxway like this.
  15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Love my Parasound A52 Halo and NewClassic 2125. Good power and finesse all rolled into one. Makes my Def Techs sing and works perfectly with my Yamaha AV pre pro. I’ve had mine since 2012 and couldn’t be happier ! Love Parasound. And also have the Zphono phono pre. Amazing little peforner. Blew away stages that cost way more. ;)

mrcond and pdxway like this.
  16. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Monster interlink THX 1000 Rcas for the pre to amp. (They are basically Interlink Ref 2). Works and sounds wonderful. Perfect match. And the speaker cables are Monster Z2 which work and sound great too. From my Zphono to Yamaha , Monster Interlink Ref 2. (Awesome as always ) and Pangea Premeir Signature SE XLR from Oppo to Yamaha ..(Love it!). Using all Pangea Ac14Se and Ac14 for power cords (great sounding for the cost !)

pdxway likes this.
  17. pdxway

I use BJC RCA between my preamp and amps. Speaker cables are mostly generic 12 AWG copper cables. BJC is better than my other low cost cables. No experience with other expensive cables....

Monty12 and Scratcha like this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

BJC LC-1? Or other BJC RCA? (of course most of their RCA choices are Belden cable where BJC solders on a connector).

19. pdxway

Yes, BJC-LC1.

Monty12 and Scratcha like this.
  20. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I am about 2 months into my new Parasound New Classic 275v2. Replaced a still good sounding Adcom 535L. Planning on bridging 2 of them later on for 200wpc per side. The great thing is you can bridge into a 4 ohm load. The 275v2 is 90wpc/150wpc into 4 ohms. Has a low pass filter and handles two sets of speakers down to 2 ohms. Love it.

pdxway likes this.
  21. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

For my 2 channel system, I have the A21 with the P5 pre-amp along with the JC 3 Jr. phono preamp and love them all. My speakers are Paradigm Prestige 75F. The A21 has more power than I need, which is perfect, just in case I want to really crank it up.

I also have the A52+ driving 5 of the main channels in my HT setup.

I find the build quality to be rock solid, power to spare, and the sound is excellent. These are likely my last amps. Parasound rocks.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  22. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

I’ve had my A21 in the main audio system for 12 very satisfied years...if for some reason it failed, I’d likely buy the new version. I consider it a bargain.

mcd4959 and pdxway like this.
  23. PhilCo

PhilCo Forum Resident

I am currently testing two JC5s (which I admit is a bit excessive) but my speakers can be bi-wired so Parasound recommended that I use the Left channel out of each amp for the High Frequencies, and the right for the Bass frequencies, this way I am getting 400 watts to each of all four of my speaker inputs. Parasound recommended against bridging the amps to turn them into mono amps but rather use them as described above. I am testing them against a pair of JC1s that I have had for years and there is no comparison. The JC5s offer much wider and deep soundstage, much clearer highs and spectacular imaging and specificity of instrumentation. I have had a number of Parasound amps in my system over the years and can't speak highly enough of the company, the support they give customers, their technical support when you call them and of course the fact that across a number of price points they have a great set of under valued products that perform at the highest levels. I wish all audio providers were this good.

Litejazz53, Monty12, mreeter and 5 others like this.
  24. pdxway

Wow! Did you try just a single JC5 first? Can you describe how dual JC5 sounds better for you than single JC5? Thanks!

Litejazz53 and Monty12 like this.
  25. PhilCo

PhilCo Forum Resident

Yes, I did try one JC5 and all I can is that what I said about two is true about one but the size and scale and ease of two is better than just one (as it should be). On the other hand, had I not tried two, I might have been satisfied with one, I thought one JC5 was better than 2 JC1s, but two JC5s is just a different level of good. When I returned the first JC5 I told Parasound that I hated them because they had made my already very nice system sound pale and lifeless by comparison to the JC5. I don't know if Parasound is going to bring out a JC1 replacement, they have been on a bit of an upgrade tear recently, but if they do, I would expect it to be at least as good as 1 JC5 and would be curious to see how it would sound compared to two JC5s.

pdxway likes this.