When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I thought his follow-up, "I Saw the Light, was a female--specifically Carole King. I sometimes wonder if it was intentional.

68reissue and hi_watt like this.
  2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

I always thought White bird (It's A Beautiful Day) was done by Jefferson Airplane.

Spaghettiows, JoeF. and rockerreds like this.
  3. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

It sounds like "war" to me. How would you check it? (Without using lyrics sites which are user-contributed and full of errors.)

4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

... by listening to it!

5. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

When I was a kid, and I mean very small, I thought “The Letter” by The Box Tops was about someone leaving their lover. I mean how did I manage to get that so wrong!!!

I think I stopped listening after ‘Got me a ticket for an aeroplane’.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  6. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I thought the Zombies song She’s Not There contained this line:

“The way she accents the color of her hair.”

7. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

I did. It sounds like "war".

8. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

I thought the lyrics to All Along the Watchtower were,

"Business men they drink my wine/
    Come and SMOKE MY HERB."

9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I never knew Doug Yule sang "Candy Says" on the third Velvets album until well into the 1980s. Sounded like Lou to me. Hell, it still does...

10. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

If not previously listed (1300+ posts), always thought Rusted Root's "Send Me On My Way" was the Talking Heads

Before seeing the video....

11. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

There's a Blue Oyster Cult song, I think from Agents of Fortune, that has a chorus containing a lyric we all interpreted as "fear of Marines!" Pretty sure that wasn't the actual line.

12. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I thought Tom Petty's Breakdown was Santana when I first heard it as a teenager. When I was maybe 10 I saw a Jethro Tull album in the bin and thought that dude should change his name if he wants to be popular.

danasgoodstuff and Monsterzero like this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I found out that in the lyrics of the gatefold cover of the album.
    It says "all across the USA"

Egg Crisis likes this.
  14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I was disappointed by this. I thought it was Lou and it turned out to be that faceless Yule.
    Also, I was disappointed to found out that Moe Tucker doesn't play drums in Loaded.
    Sometimes ignorance is bliss

15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, I thought it was Lou for a long time. But I never got the derision for Doug Yule. He was one of the Velvet Underground. That makes him a legend. And he sung Candy Says, and New Age.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Fullbug, turnersmemo and Runicen like this.
  16. guppy270

guppy270 Forum Resident

That's okay, I went my entire life until last year thinking that "Venus" by Shocking Blue was sung by a woman.

boggs likes this.
  17. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

I remember them both having wrong lyrics to many a song.. But Hit Parader had better stories and tons of candid pics..

18. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

wrong?

60+ years and i still don't know what the lyrics to kingsmen's "louie louie" are.

the fbi after launching a much needed investigation into the lyrical content of the song, apparently couldn't figure them out either. HA!

only part i get is the "we gotta go now, iy iy iy yi".

19. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I thought that song, I’m Your Venus was saying I’m Your *****.

20. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

When i was a youngster 3 or 4 we rented a house and i remember the landlord being a scary boggy man type.. My brother bought Last kiss by J. Frank Wilson and hearing the chorus -Where o where can my by baby be, the lord took her away from me.- Suddenly made me think this man might be God..And he took his baby way from him...I really thought i might be the next one..So i hid from god till i learned the real story. And on the other shoe I would run out of the room in terror every time sing along with Mitch would come on tv because i thought Mitch was satan because he had a deep voice a bald head aVan Dye beard and squinty eyes..and that music i was convinced was the same music they played in hell.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I've read that this was intentional, and the only reason they wrote the song. Actually, it was one of those "Pop Up Video" shows doing the Bananarama cover. Who knows if it's true.

Vinny123 likes this.
  22. Monsterzero

Monsterzero Down at Dino's Bar & Grill

I used to think that the chorus of Suffragette City was saying something related to breast feeding. :agree:
    I worked with a girl who thought I wanna Be Sedated was actually I wanna Piece of Cake...really!
    Another girl thought Smack your Bitch Up was actually Snap Your Picture.:bdance:
    And yet another former female co-worker thought Kryptonite was a song about gangs,Crip Tonight. DOH!

Runicen likes this.
  23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

When I first got into the Beatles as a kid, I couldn't tell the difference between George's and John's voices. Additionally, I would have sworn for some reason that John sang Fool On the Hill.

24. Bailes

Bailes Billy Shears

I remember thinking that "Strawberry Fields Forever" was sung by Ringo.

I was a strange kid.

MielR likes this.
  25. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

When I first heard "Oh Carol" by Neil Sedaka I honestly thought it was a woman singing. Hence the lyrics confused me quite a lot.

I was too young at that time to know about LGBT stuff, so I think I assumed it was about a Platonic childhood friendship between two girls.

Sedaka really did have a very girly voice.