Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Discussion. What Can We Expect?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Here's another guess for the mysterious xmas box gumbo- Complete BBC recordings! Have we said that one already? (I already talked myself into the complete cartoon series a few days ago though)

Tom Daniels and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  2. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

I doubt that Apple will use Pete Best recordings, but hope is hope.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Dunno. @MsMaclen was a welcome (female) perspective here, with sharp, informed posts. But she “ain’t been ‘round since you know when”... :(

Paul H, supermd and Monasmee like this.
  4. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

If there is no AR50th release in 2019 I'll be floored.
    September is still possible, how about a surprise August 8 release on the cover picture taken 50th anniversary? Think of all the cool Abbey Road swag to sell.
    Then the other release will be mid Nov for Christmas sales and the other late in the year.
    (scratch head)

Bern likes this.
  5. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

They have done it before, but that was when Neil Aspinall was there to push for it. Anyway, to shoot my own theory down, I think we got the best of the BBC performances on volume 1, and most of the songs uniquely performed for the beeb, so a complete set would seem too repetitive. And one of Apple's big reasonings for not giving us everything for the Pepper and WA box ala Dylan was that they were creating the sets to be listened to by fans, not scholars. But who knows they released vol 2 nearly 20 years after the first set so maybe they have a soft spot for the BBC stuff.
    Personally anything besides an Abbey Road set would be a bonus, everything except a AR set would be a let down.

Sean Murdock and Isaac Azimuth like this.
  6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Only applies to anything unreleased at that point that then subsequently gets a release (e.g. Abbey Road sessions that get released officially on or after 1st January 2020 if it doesn't go ahead this year).

If they remain unreleased, they don't go in to the public domain.

I presume the same also applies to all the January 1969 Let It Be/Get Back sessions?

Diego Lucas likes this.
  7. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I don't think a mid September release for AR and a late Nov release for whatever else is too small a window these days. I've said it before, they can put out Beatle product twice a month and the people who are going to buy it will buy it.

J Alesait and YpsiGypsy like this.
  8. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Maybe they have some big PR plans for this AR50th release and that's why the secret agent type silence.

9. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I agree. I can see AR being late September and maybe the other product will be December. Paul did a similar time span with Egypt Station and the Wild Life/RRS box sets

10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Not to mention, there was probably a big overlap of people who also bought the WA and Imagine boxes as well in that same time span.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks Mike, things don’t seem to be looking very promising for Abbey Road 50 at this time. It’s odd that there is more solid information coming out on the OTHER box but not AR50.

We do know from your sources (as well as some others here) that work was completed on AR50 last year (even before WA50 came out). So it would be strange to cancel the potential release after all that work, but won’t be the first time Apple’s done that with a project.

Could it be that the OTHER box is now Apple’s Plan B for 2019 if AR50 is a no-go? Since you know what the OTHER box is, does it seem like that to you?

I still remain very much hopeful for AR50. Its their biggest album these days and that iconic cover still draws in healthy sales. So unless one of Apple’s stake holders have vetoed it, this has to come out. I’m sure Universal would be all over Apple to release AR50 this year and keep the Beatle dollars coming in!

12. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Ok this is a stretch but what if the mystery box is LIB50 swapped out with AR50 released the following year?

Throws off the anniversaries but what a way to close out the catalog kinda like old times. :shh:

J Alesait and SgtPepperman1953 like this.
  13. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I think they have some super big plans with Peter Jackson's Let It Be next year so I'd say no.
    They may do a summer blockbuster movie type PR campaign with a Memorial Day weekend opening.
    But that's another thread.

Wingsfan2012, BeatleJWOL and Monasmee like this.
  14. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

September 26th would be the anniversary of Abbey Road.
    I don't think it would be a stretch to release it then because: (1) the diehard Beatles fans will likely now expect a release in the fall after the last few years, (2) it gets a chance to pay for that before whatever other big releases come out for the holidays – such as potentially a Macca archives, Lennon New York City set, etc., and (3) there's the second release closer to the holiday that can fill in those gift-needing gaps for those who already have Abbey Road: 50.
    Remember: it's the thought that counts. ;)

Wingsfan2012 and MPLRecords like this.
  15. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

To clarify, I mean a LIB boxed set for the holiday season before Peter Jackson’s film is released the following year with AR50 afterwards.

I realize it doesn’t make sense from an anniversary perspective but hey we’re talking about Apple.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  16. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

Wow! Now that's what I'd call a complete answer! Thank you kindly for the great clarification (as we sit here and melt down over AR50 or its potential MIA status).
    I would add that by the time of the WB cartoons, it was the immortal Mel Blanc doing the Foghorn voice, along with his millions of others (all, in fact). Talk about genius.
    "That's a joke, son!" And that speech pattern, with the "I say" tic going on all the time; just priceless.

And finally, isn't Beauregard just one of THE great names of all time?!?
    Jeff

17. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

So your sources are secure on a Christmas market release? Very good. You sure seem more positive about this release than maccawings! On the other hand, there's no reason an Abbey Road@50 set will be delayed until 2020. That would bring back the Aspinall era of not releasing OBVIOUS projects. Not something Apple or Universal seem inclined to do. It is very strange that Apple would be keeping so mum about AR50 to trusted sources. Oh well, we shall know soon enough. Thanks for little update! Ron

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

My favorite quote of his: "Pay attention, boy, I’m cuttin’ but you ain’t bleedin’!”

19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Bad boy... you've seen the project, yet can't say what it is. Maccawings seemed to indicate it's not a MAJOR set. Meaning anything from a vinyl=only set, to a possible compilation or singles set. But if it's not MAJOR and it's designated for the Christmas market what would prevent AR50 from being released? And IF it is delayed, what would happen to the Let It Be set and Jackson's movie due in mid-2020? Tell your sources not to muck things up will ya!! Heads will explode here:) Ron

PS Thanks so much for chiming in. I feel I'm lost now that my sources have moved on from good ol' no. 2

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  20. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Oh, it's Big release, well, not big as the Anniversary Box sets but has many things involved, maccawings and I have talked about it, it's not what he and I wanted that's for sure, but I'm sure many fans want it, the box set is beautiful, I'm sure most of the fans and collectors will be happy (not so happy if we don't get AR50th plus the other)

21. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

If I'm reading into what you're saying correctly, then I assume that this other (not AR50) box that's scheduled for Christmas is indeed an official "Beatles" product (and not a Paul, John, George, or Ringo solo release), but would love your wink wink confirmation.

I generally welcome any Beatles release, but if AR50 doesn't come this year, I'll be really bummed. That said, Zeppelin released several of their recent super deluxe boxed sets simultaneously (and/or within a few months of each other). Metallica too. So Apple shouldn't be too shy about releasing two sets this year, especially with the Yesterday film set to re-ignite a lot of Beatles interest this summer. Back in the day, the boys routinely released two albums a year. I say keep the remixes coming, and rapidly!

Wingsfan2012 and joeislive like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

As BIG as a suitcase? ;)

23. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

well, smaller, wayyy much smaller with many stuff inside:angel:

24. It’s the Big Helter Skelter Box Set to coincide with the new Tarantino 1969 film and the 50th anniversary of the Manson murders

25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Hey @mikecarrera you wanna play Wheel Of Fortune with us and see if we can guess the title? :D

Wingsfan2012 and mikecarrera like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.