18 hours of Radiohead's OK Computer Sessions Stolen ... and Then Released by Band*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

2. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

Hopefully there are 36 takes of "Fitter, Happier" included:laugh:

JNTEX, PhoffiFozz, Shiver and 11 others like this.
  3. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Just the one but it's 36 minutes long. Amazing how cleverly that was edited.

(nb - j/k)

4. Chrome_Head

At first I thought someone in the band might have leaked all of this, but I seriously doubt they'd have wanted this all to come out. The 'white cassette' from 2017 OK Computer deluxe reissue seems to have been culled from some of this.

Lots of interesting fragments of unheard songs here, Thom recording in his bedroom with an acoustic type stuff.

5. The source of this leak is supposedly a former member of staff at XL, and it does seem as if these files were used when compiling the OKNOTOK bonus cassette...

SoundDoctor, DrBeatle and octophone like this.
  6. octophone

There's a few versions of this story around at the minute - this is the most plausible.
    Another version has it that the former staffer - or someone who had acquired the material from the former staffer - was trying to sell it on and someone else who had already acquired them leaked them as a spoiler.

alchemy likes this.
  7. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yeah cause those oasis rehearsals/ outakes would be so riveting with their bar band quality musicianship and bloated egos. Or the verve who barely scratched the surface in America on a song they had to give credit to the rolling stones for.

If only....

Instead we get 18 hours from the masterpiece of the 90s from one of the most creative bands in history at their peak.

8. Those expecting 18 hours of OK Computer sessions will probably be left disappointed by this leak, as the bulk of these tracks are previously undocumented Thom solo acoustic demos, band versions of known outtakes, live recordings (in fantastic soundboard quality) and the resulting album in unmastered form, along with some b-sides. A large part of what's on these minidiscs isn't studio material, but rather whatever Thom felt was good enough to preserve from various stages of the creative process. Still, they provide a fascinating insight into the OKC period...

9. I'm not sure of who was trying to sell these for £150k, but the leak clearly took place as a countermeasure to stop anyone from profiting... I've heard that the former XL employee traded their digital backups on a board more known for hip hop leaks.

octophone likes this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Love the first early version of "Motion Picture Soundtrack" on disc 2 here with the full band, Jonny presumably on organ. A little rough in parts, but a totally different angle on the song than the one that was released on Kid A.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Alien Ache and SoundDoctor like this.
  11. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

Can't stop listening to that first live version of Electioneering on disc 14. So much passion. I dunno if that was previously circulating, but it's great.

Full band TLW on disc 1 sounds kind of goofy in my opinion, that song definitely works better stripped down.

12. I won't cover the entire contents of these files, but the very first archive opens with an acoustic demo that appears to be the foundation of both Exit Music (For A Film) and Life In A Glasshouse - this alone was a jaw dropping moment of revelation for me!

matteos, Joe Spivey and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. octophone

One thing's for sure; there was a very different deluxe "OK Computer" possible from the one we got. There is an exceptional 2 or 3 disc set in here which would have been a delight to fans rather than the interesting but scattershot C90 that they arrived at. We could have easily had something more akin to "The Beatles" deluxe. But I guess they wanted to highlight how experimental they were during the sessions rather than spend too much time on complete songs.

My highlight so far is a full band take of "Motion Picture Soundtrack". There's also a great full band take of "Airbag" about halfway between its early mellow-dub stylings and the hunk of twisted-metal it became.

14. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I love The Verve and like Oasis too, but why take the time to threadcrap? This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

15. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

What I like about the tapes is that they show the band at a certain point in its history (my favorite one) playing songs with which I'm unfamiliar, at studio sound quality. On disc 1, there is a track that sounds like a gestation of True Love Waits, played much more casually with a looser feel. Others that did appear on OK Computer are fascinating, a mostly acoustic version of Airbag for example.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

18 hours of Be Here Now out takes would certainly be interesting...

Fullbug, JuanTCB and SoundDoctor like this.
  17. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Yea it would be around the Be Here Now sessions, not morning glory. I’d like to hear this!

SoundDoctor likes this.
  18. octophone

It's gonna take several days for me to absorb this little lot. I mean, I have meetings tomorrow and I like sleeping.

19. Chrome_Head

Seriously. It's like the OKNOTOK C90 cassette on steroids. So much to sift through.

SoundDoctor and octophone like this.
  20. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Suspect it'd be like the Troggs Tapes, only swearier.

NG "Yes I am going to put another guitar track on. There's only 50 already done."
    LG "no you ******* are not yer *****"
    unidentified tape op "oh s*** we've run out of coke. Can someone arrange further supplies please?"
    (incoherent shouting)
    NG "Liam did you nick my copy of the White Album?"
    (tape fades out)

21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just been through the contents list. There seems to be some very interesting stuff on there. Intrigued by Life in a Glasshouse and Last Flowers

22. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Wow, I wish I was a fan! I'd lose my mind over 18 hours of sessions from my favorites. No matter how repetitive.

theMess, Dodoz, ispace and 5 others like this.
  23. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

But there's a 12 hour version of "All Around The World". It's got more key changes than there are keys.

24. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Man, that's 20 years ago. Let it go and give A Moon Shaped Pool a go. It's a very beautiful album.

MoonPool, Lewisboogie, ted209 and 5 others like this.
  25. octophone

"Disc" 3 has some electronic experiments, some of which sound as if they were well on their way to being songs (and one of which *might* be "True Love Waits"). Certainly puts a spin on the "Kid A" thread elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.