Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Simon A likes this.
  3. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

The next missing story to be released (in 2020) in animated form is The Faceless Ones Seems that they will be animating all 6 episodes even though episodes 1 and 3 still exist. Looking forward to it already!

Blimpboy and longdist01 like this.
  4. Yes, and hopefully not edited like the previous one (Macra Terror, which doesn't include the 'rough and tumble scene').

longdist01 likes this.
  5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

.....Why'd they cut that out??

6. Stupidity? Laziness? Poor creative oversight?

longdist01 likes this.
  7. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

One of the biggest challenges with these animations is clothing changes. That sequence have The Doctor, Ben, Polly and Jamie changing from their clothes from The Moonbase to clothes (or in Ben's case, just pants ;) ) used only in that particular scene. The Doctor gets dressed up "fancy" which he then proceeds to destroy in the "rough and tumble machine" back to his normal. Polly also gets a hair cut. Then after the scene there's yet another clothing change to what everyone wears for most of the rest of the serial. If they wanted to put that scene in, where one-off clothing is an integral part of it, they would need to create new models (in some cases more than one) for each of the characters, plus the models for The Moonbase outfits, and this can be incredibly time consuming as you need to rig each and everyone of them. In the end the team decided to just stick to one clothing setup (and in Polly's case, her shorter hair) for the whole story, which saved a lot of time and money.

Clothing changes are also why animating the historicals, which by their nature have loads of important clothing changes, not to mention large casts, are a logistical nightmare. It's actually easier to animate 2 episodes that already exist in live action than it is to build character models.

longdist01 and Blimpboy like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Celebrating John Pertwee Legacy
    [Memories by his son, Sean Pertwee]

9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

^ That was lovely! Still very missed! :cry:

It led to my watching this which has a musical theme...

Rooster_Ties and longdist01 like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

11. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

54 years after its original BBC television broadcast, BBC Studios will premiere a new production of Mission to the Unknown, a missing Doctor Who episode that has been faithfully recreated by a team of students, graduates and staff of the University of Central Lancashire in the UK.

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Blimpboy likes this.
  13. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Well the whole thing is out now, and it's thoroughly enjoyable. To the point where the original is now the episode I want back the least.

14. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...This is. um...an " upscale fan production ", da:confused::agree:?:rolleyes:

15. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

This thread is now *years* overdue for a retitling. My hopes shoot up for a moment whenever it pops up every few months, only to be dashed.

jtiner, Shawn and Meng like this.
  16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

This is extremely well done except for the annoying narration. Extremely painful to listen to.

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Not saying we don't need the original back, just that the result was enjoyable and I'd rather get back one of the ones that doesn't have an upscale fan-produced reproduction. At least I sorta feel I've seen this one now.

Anyway, this was never an episode high on my list to get back.

longdist01 and Shawn like this.
  18. beccabear67

I definitely preferred it to the animated recreations, but then this particular episode had none of the famous faces of the regular cast members... it'd be very difficult to pull off an episode with a stand-in for Hartnell or Troughton.

longdist01, Simon A and Blimpboy like this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Peter Davison takes Pertwee's car,
    "Bessie" out for a cruise on British tv.

[​IMG]
    Saturday October 19, 2019, Channel 4 will be broadcasting a new 2 part series of "Great British Car Journeys", starring former Dr. Who Peter Davison. Peter is joined by Christopher Timothy both starred in the TV series "All Creatures great and small" The one and only car Bessie was originally introduced in the 1970 Dr. Who program and was owned by Jon Pertwee upon his leaving the series.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    beccabear67 and Simon A like this.
  20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

beccabear67, longdist01 and Shawn like this.
  21. beccabear67

Ooh, we've gotten this show over here, so maybe I'll get to see this one/two... even up to a year later.

I bought the Power Of The Daleks recreation DVD but I preferred the telesnaps with the audio (or even the deluxe magazine version DWB put together in the '90s). I'm not against animation but it just hasn't worked for me on this series as it makes me think about what's been destroyed the entire time, what people would've originally seen and we can't. If only someone had just not been a dumpkopf at the BBC in the '70s when stuff was being thrown away or recycled (penny wise and pound foolish).

It may've just been people tramping around a shore or a quarry and some washing-up suds to them, but this was out cultural heritage!
    [​IMG]

Shawn, Andy Smith and longdist01 like this.
  22. beccabear67

I found this Fury reconstruction... I guess it shows things could be even lower budget... didn't know about Deborah Watling, strange way to find out...

longdist01 likes this.
  23. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The BBC is selecting Seasons Sets [Blu-Ray] releases on what complete episodes they have in Archive to Remaster from, some films and video master reels. Whereas Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee eras they have some programs, but in order to "Complete" a Season the BBC most certainly will have difficulty. Are they going to spend $$$ to recreate or re-animated lost episodes....they wiped much or incinerated the bulk of materials. So how do they proceed now??

Anything after Tom Baker/Peter Davison/Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy/MarkMcGann[Movie!] is combining film/ video.

Christopher Eccleston/David Tennant and Matt Smith exist probably all in HD.

So far it appears BBC is going to continue a schedule from 1974 through late 80's Doctor Who Season sets as Remastering work makes sense and can be scheduled.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    MaestroDavros and ad180 like this.