Netflix's "When They See Us"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow, the first episode is intense and indescribably maddening. I recall the events, but I had forgotten the suspects were only 14-16. The railroading and injustice are simply sickening.

Myke likes this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A great "mini series" as I've seen it called by their own people.
    Enjoyed it right up to the end.
    Very well done in my opinion.

Bachtoven likes this.
  3. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I'm eager to see this, but have to steel myself for the outrage it'll bring up.

4. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Isn't there also a documentary about this that Ken Burns made?

5. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I wanted to appreciate this, but haven't gotten through the first episode. I thought the 2012 documentary The Central Park Five was so good and powerful, and important. But in what I've seen of the show so far, I felt the dramatization of those events is too obvious and heavy-handed.

As the OP said above, it is sickening, but I already feel I know enough about the railroading and injustice and already am angry about it, that a dramatization of the events feels more just like another series of punches in the stomach instead of anything artful or enlightening. But I may give it another chance, it's getting good reviews out there. Yet, I still believe this is a case where a documentary is best suited for letting people know what happened, and communicating it to people who might otherwise be skeptical, rather than watching Vera Farmiga in a role that seems to borderline on being a mustache-twirling villain right from the start.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too angry about everything that happened. I am glad regardless that the show exists and is being watched. I'm just not sure I can watch it.

6. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I watched the first episode last night. Anyone else think this looks like crap? Super dark and coated in a blue layer.

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yes - I watched in 4K HDR, and it was very dark and washed out in blue as you said. I notice Netflix with 4K HDR can either look brilliant or like crap - no middle ground.

8. Graham

Graham Senior Member

The picture settings on 4K TVs can be so confusing there’s always the worry I’m at fault.

I watched it on standard def Netflix (or whatever the cheapest option is) on a 4K TV and thought it looked terrible. I struggle to see how it could look good, given the tech choices made. But I’m a layman so can’t back that up.

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I know my 4K TV isn't the problem - since watching many shows on Netflix that are either 4K Ultra or HDR look stunning, and some just become very dark and washed out.

Amazon streaming goes through the same settings on the TV, and their 4K content always seem to look stunning.

Then there is my 4K Blu-Ray player, granted it is going through a different input and settings optimized for the Oppo 205, but 4K Ultra HDR discs look so good my jaw almost always hits the floor.

So, end of story - I blame Netflix for somehow having issues with presenting some of their 4K HDR content.

10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Linda Fairstein is played by Felicity Huffman. The irony is stunning.

11. townsend

townsend Senior Member

JBryan likes this.
  12. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Watching episode one I was pulled out of the story for a bit when one of the characters used the phrase "dumpster fire".

13. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Finished the first three parts last night. Just gut wrenching. Its like watching "If Beale Street Could Talk" but times ten.

14. dougotte

I watched the first part. It's really well done, and it makes one so mad at how those kids were railroaded.

The acting and directing are top notch. My only complaint (that everyone on this forum must be getting sick of), is the dim cinematography. I promise I won't bring up again until next time.:rolleyes:

15. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Wow! Korey Wise (12 years served) had it rough. Just awful

16. I watched the Central Park Five documentary last year and think I might give this a try.
    Might be kind of like watching the movie after reading the book, though.

Also, another kid that was screwed over...you should know about the Kalief Browder story.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  17. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Tough, tough watch but really well done.

Macman likes this.
  18. dougotte

I just watched part 3 last night. DuVernay really did a brilliant job with this project. The direction, acting, etc. are all devastating. My only complaint about part 3 is that we don't know what year it is when they are paroled.

I just have to repeat my complaint about the dim cinematography. In outdoor settings, it's not bad. Apparently, New York is always cloudy. Inside homes, offices, etc., it looks horrible. In some shots with vague backlighting, the entire frame has a haze over it as if it's a foggy glare.

I know it's de rigeur these days in many shows and movies, but I hate it.

19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I really enjoyed the doc, but it was a tough watch. The episode that focused on Korey still haunts me.

20. I tried this. I was very interested. After the 2nd episode, however, I found it too agenda driven from a 2019 perspective, not 1989. Of course, the more things change, the more they stay the same, yet it felt forced - shoehorned in. I thought it was well-filmed, though. It's just that I won't finish it. I got more knowledge from reading about it.

21. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I can't believe how little interest this series has received here. I finally saw it this week and thought it was devastating and absolutely superb. The performances were tremendous, especially that of Jharrel Jerome as Korey Wise. I almost quit during the first episode because it was so hard to watch, but I'm glad I stuck with it. It's as good as anything I've seen in a movie or series in quite some time.

peopleareleaving likes this.
  22. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I saw this several months ago and could not agree more.

Macman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.