Pink Floyd The Later Years - Specul/ation (Pre-release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DylanPeggin, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I'm really hoping for bonus section with all screen films/music videos from 1987-2014 and a Play All function.

BeatleJWOL, Azza200 and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Be cool if they included an alternative Live Album like this for 94

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yes. And this time I hope they won't mix the '87s with the '94s like they did on the Pulse DVD extras. Keep them in separate lists.

4. floydfan2410

Just keep then chronoligical :)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

If a 5.1 Momentary Lapse was in the box, I'd be practically vibrating with anticipation! I've not heard any 5.1/vintage quad/surround Floyd/solo David/solo Roger that wasn't stellar. But as nothing has been announced, I'm just going to continue sitting here quietly and calmly.

Having recently upgraded, the Atmos soundtrack on Roger's The Wall concert film is pretty impressive. Similarly the 5.1 audio on the existing The Wall film is already very good, given the lossy codecs etc. Whilst Atmos would be nice, I'd more than satisfied with a lossless 5.1 of the film's audio on BluRay using either DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Would love a proper recording of On The Turning Away from that tour. Saw it live but did not remember the use of that pedal (from Marooned, is that a «Whammy»?) in the last part of the solo (from 20 minutes in the video).

RangerXT and Azza200 like this.
  7. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The version of OTTA is where David did use the Whammy bar
    Yep it is the whammy bar and he made full use of it on that performance of OTTA. I think that was only show he improvised and used the whammy bar to that extent during 94 during OTTA.

RangerXT and LarsO like this.
  8. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

How about turning up the nearly non-existent bass.
    ?

Azza200 and floydfan2410 like this.
  9. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Ah, ok. I wondered if that was the way he normally played it on that tour.

Anyway, would love to hear any pro recording of that song from 1994. I love the song and prefer the ‘94 drum sound to the ‘87-‘89 even though I like DSoT as well.

RangerXT and Azza200 like this.
  10. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

The way he used the whammy bar that night i think was a one off as rest of the tour it is not used in the solo. I'm the same would be good to get a pro recording from the tour the audio on the Pulse DVD Bootleggers extra is a great performance of OTTA a night they was not on auto pilot.
    I think it would be good if they included that show in full as an alternative non DSOTM show as its clearly a good performance. They must have remastered & edited that entire show from audience shot cameras and their own cameras for those 3 songs on the DVD.

The DSOT VHS OTTA solo is amazing, why its different on the live album i don't get, as the parts they cut out are awesome on the VHS

RangerXT and LarsO like this.
  11. floydfan2410

Hopefully by November we will all be able to enjoy On The Turning Away and the rest of the Delicate Sound of Thunder concert in glorious HD :D

12. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

I'm so glad that the neglected AMLoR era is finally getting some exploration. I hope above all else that we get some studio outtakes from the Astoria; the tantalizing "Learning to Fly" demo that circulates partially makes me really want to hear more.

I used to be lukewarm on this album, but I was wandering around the Perèz Museum in Miami a few months ago and inexplicably got "Terminal Frost" stuck in my head. Hearing Pete Townsend's "White City: A Novel" for the first time a few months ago also helped contextualize this era of Gilmour for me.

Beyond that, wouldn't mind the "La Carrera Panamericana" tracks, a properly fleshed out "Delicate Sound of Thunder" (audio and video), and - this is a stretch - some of those "The Fishermen" jam sessions.

13. MoreOrLess

MoreOrLess Well-Known Member

I'v gradually warmed to it(well not all of it but quite a lot) over the years listening to it more on its own terms rather than expecting classic Floyd, more a follow on to Gilmour's About Face album, Terminal Frost especially is I think a really nicely done bit of Vangelis like atmospheric 80's slickness that gets regular listening. The Division Bell whilst you could argue its nominally a better album I find myself listening too less simply because its closer to classic 70's Floyd but not as good as it plus I think the slicker production doesn't suit that material as well, its IMHO much better live on Pulse so I spose a few more tracks there officially released would be nice.

The biggie from the 87 to me would seem to be including a version of Echoes, theres at least a decent recording from the rehearsals before the tour isn't there?

14. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

I agree to a point... However, I still burn a candle for the MLOR touring line up for GGITS.

Rachel Fury, Durga McBroom and the very excellent Machan (Margaret) Taylor. The version of Great Gig on the DSOT album is truly remarkable, and Machan Taylors vocal on that was on another level. I think she has a huge vocal range, almost 5 octaves....

[​IMG]

15. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

This time of year reminds me of "anticip/ation" of the Early Years box set, with the mysterious stripe appearing on PF social... Come on, lads, bring it on already! :)

[​IMG]

16. floydfan2410

Absolutely! A change of the Facebook picture or something, just to let us know something is about to happen :D

Azza200 and Jerry Horne like this.
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Pink Floyd's official FB page has been featuring AMLOR and DB (and info on their respective tours) every day so an official announcement can't be too far off. Just don't expect to find anything that has to do with racing included in the box. :yikes:

18. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

No La Carrera Panamericana tracks??

NNOOOOOOO!!!!
    :cussing::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::cussing:

19. floydfan2410

Can't wait to see the design of the box! I really hope it's smaller than TEY!

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Expect all studio and live releases in 5.1 (previous mixes of DB, PULSE and TER should be the same) with the exception of one live show which has been remastered in stereo.

St. Troy, RangerXT, supermd and 19 others like this.
  21. Life is full of disappointments. This is just another.

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I am not into 5,1. So no unreleased stuff, no buy from me.

23. floydfan2410

Cannot wait to hear AMLOR in 5.1!!
    Learning to Fly in 5.1 (found on the P.U.L.S.E DVD) sounds really great! :)
    I guess it's a new remaster?

J_D__, Azza200 and coffeetime like this.
  24. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Nice that you posted your post after what put on AFG Ron ;). I didnt expect that small info you posted here not long after, my guess was right in a way then. The one live show in stereo got me thinking is it Venice 89 or could it be a non DSOTM 94 show release. My bet its Venice 89 in remastered stereo.

I guess the social media posts on FB, Instagram & Twitter are all building up to the offical press release for this at a wild guess end of this month. Makes sense with all 87-94 content they are posting daily imo

25. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

Good to see that pic of David and Margret Taylor & to know the are still in contact with each other

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.