New Led Zeppelin "Song Remains The Same" 2CD/4LP/3DVD Super Deluxe Set Plus Separate Blu-Ray release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Hud, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m traveling for work, but I’ve got a needledrop of the UK LP on my phone. I’ll try to listen tonight.

JeffMo and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The original cd version of "No Quarter" is astonishing. The remaster versions are worthless in comparison.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I listened to those sections. There’s nothing wrong with tape and it doesn’t sound like an edit. It’s just what was described earlier - some flange added to Plant and/or Bonham for a few seconds for dramatic soaring effect.

I assume it was added at the board during the actual performance (bootlegs would probably confirm this). It’s also there - among other places - on the tympani's at the 4:30 mark and the high-hat & cymbal leading into, during and after the guitar solo. And JPJ of course has phasey flange stuff going on throughout. I suspect there might also be some mic bleed as well which could help accentuate it.

It’s all just part of the “dreamy, ethereal” sound of the song. It’s not unique to No Quarter. Just listen to the drums on Kashmir.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Vinyl Fan 1973 and HotelYorba101 like this.
  5. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

That’s a great deal and worth every penny. That being said I love my original 2CD set as well.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Can anybody give me a bulletpoint summary of all this?

What's the best-sounding pressing in CD or LP? I don't care about running order or what was edited how or why. Is the CD or LP version better? If it's the LP, 2xLP or 4xLP?

maellen likes this.
  7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I like the original 1976 Vinyl best.The US Atlantic is fine.

8. The newest remasterd CD (I have the big box) is my favorite although the stand alone Blu-ray Audio is even better. IMHO it’s cream of the crop.

9. Strat-Mangler

I don't care about 5.1. Not at all.

Is the Blu-Ray better than the latest CD? Is it better than the latest hi-res audio release?

10. Strat-Mangler

Sound-wise, why so? Curious. :)

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

If you don't care about edits as in original mix versus remix, the most recent master gets my vote

12. I don’t download so I can speak to the hi res audio but 2.0 BR is indeed better than the latest CD I have high resolution playback in Cambridge Audio machine and to me it’s my go to version.

Clanceman likes this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The original 2CD set is the best of the digital releases, although I thought, when I first heard it, that it wasn't as good as the UK vinyl. Not enough bottom end, IIRC.

14. steveharris

I have not heard the blu ray, the 2007 cd and dvd sounds too compressed to me.There is room for improvement on the original but I like the analog sound over the modern mastering.
    There are some good things in the new mix but it does not sound dynamic to me.I could live with the mastering but as already discussed the edits in the actual music bothers me.
    Even though it had to fit in with the visuals there were too many poor choices made in how they chopped out,patched together sections,or added extra effects.
    It`s fine for the movie but the original soundtrack had less tampering and flowed brilliantly.I `m only critical because these are some of my favorite Zeppelin concerts.If anything I think the Madison Square Garden 73 concerts deserved better.

vegafleet and Clanceman like this.
  15. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

There's no cut-and-dried answer.

The original mix is more dynamic and probably a little lighter on deep bass, but JPJ's bass guitar is clearer.

The '07 is literally louder, has more slam, and adds five tracks not on the original.

Original mix LP - Mine is from Japan, late '70s/early '80s, and I love it. My '76 US is long gone, and I've never laid eyes on one from the UK. The Classic Records LPs are highly regarded, but out of print and very expensive, like all the other Classics.

Original mix CD - Again, mine is Japanese, from the series of late '90s mini-LP reissues. I like it. Never had the original Barry Diament '80s version. Apparently, the mini-LP version is remastered, but I don't know by whom.

2007 mix LP box - The '07 pressings and artwork are excellent, and the sound is too. Cut by Stan Ricker and pressed at RTI. Dazed is split across two sides.

2007 CDs - They're fine, and if I need a version of TSRTS for the car, this is it.

2018 reissue of '07 mix - I haven't felt the need to pick any version of this up, as there is no added content or value, and there could have been. Dazed is all on one side again for vinyl.

maellen and Strat-Mangler like this.
  16. steveharris

I have a good mix of soundboards and an audience tapes that I really enjoy more than almost anything else.You get to hear the variations of the unedited shows from the 28th,29th & some of 27th from the end of the Rain Song to the end.As far as I know the first hour of the 27th never surfaced.Anyway minimal fixes on live albums never bothered me like if Plant sang the high notes better on another night or to fix a technical problem or a bum note.That would be really something if they ever put together different night`s versions of some the same songs from the multitracks,the improvised sections are awesome.I read in an interview they did make rough mixes of all the multitracks when working on the dvd. I like the complete Dazed from the 27th and would rather hear the one from the 29th seperate and not edited into the middle of the 27th!You know put it out like the Deep Purple made In Japan deluxe,or just like Stairway from both the 27th and 29th,an alternate No Quarter,Whole Lotta love,and uncut Dazed & Moby or two_Oh well,guess that ship sailed long ago huh?:unhunh:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Roberto899 and misteranderson like this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Yeah, looks like it.

Too bad, really, because a Live in New York 1973 release would have been an instant sale for me, super deluxe, or whatever, I would have been on that in a heartbeat.

steveharris likes this.
  18. steveharris

Jimmy Page`s official site has that little'This day in Zep history." Today he writes about 7/27/73 first epic night at the garden recording and shows a piece of dazed live from the movie.

elsanto and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  19. Bossfan

Bossfan Forum Resident

If given the chance I listen almost exclusively to 5.1 whether it's live or not. Most live albums are not very discrete anyway but when they are, like Steven Wilson's work, it's outstanding. Maybe you have not listened to much 5.1 or the systems have not been very good to provide high quality sound...

20. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I have listened to 5.1 on some amazing systems (not my own, but from some great friends of mine) - it is a fun thing for sure, but when it comes down to it I just am much more of a stereo guy in terms of audio presentation. Although it is entirely possible it is one of those "stick with what you are most familiar with" things in terms of stereo being what I most know and all that which I don't doubt lol

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Zep Fan and Bossfan like this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Live albums are rarely what make a compelling case for 5.1 surround listening - for the unconvinced.

Bossfan likes this.
  22. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Is 5.1 mainly an American thing? I don't know anyone over here in the UK who goes in for it. Audiophiles here even turn their noses up at subwoofers.

violetvinyl likes this.
  23. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Three 5.1 systems in my house, one in the living room, One in my man cave and one in my sons bedroom.

Rufus rag, Bossfan and sunking101 like this.
  24. Bossfan

Bossfan Forum Resident

True, But I have done A-B on many live concerts that seem like primarily ambience in the back speakers and I am surprised how much better it sounds in 5.1. But that's just me.

Rufus rag and Stefan like this.
  25. Bossfan

Bossfan Forum Resident

Well I think they do considering one of the Kings of 5.1 both as musician and master engineer is Steven Wilson... lol who has remastered Jethro Tull etc all in 5.1. Maybe it's just a circle you are not travelling in?
    And I'm Cdn not American so there is at least one person in Cda with 5.1. ;)

duneman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.