The Bradys awful theme song lyrics

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay, so The Bradys was a (very) short-lived dramatic revival of The Brady Bunch that aired in 1990. You can read about it here if you want to learn the details:

The Bradys - Wikipedia

Anyway, the show managed to have three theme songs produced for it in total (!). Two of them were used during the original run and are instrumental.

The third one was apparently made for syndication and tries to mimic the original Brady Bunch theme song by having Florence Henderson sing about the premise of the show.

Okay, so that doesn't sound so bad, right? I mean she was a nightclub singer at one point...

The problem is that unlike the original Brady Bunch theme song, These lyrics are awful! Listen to this- it's about 2 minutes into this compilation:

I think the problem is that somebody tried to shoehorn these terrible new lyrics into the existing melody and it just doesn't work. Also, Florence's singing voice isn't all that pleasant to listen to at this point, I'm sorry to say...

2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

1 and 3 are good. Don't like the guitar tone on 2.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I think the guitar tone on the second version is just too hot for The Bradys. :unhunh:

I kind of like the awfulness of the third version. :laugh:

This is pretty much a crash course in how first impressions from opening titles can make or break a series.

Drifter and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. PaulKTF

The show itself is pretty awful (it's a drama instead of a straightforward sitcom, for one thing). You can kind of tell why it only lasted six episodes.

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Two words: Fake Marcia.

Oh yeah, and the third theme is horrendous. :) Sounds like a parody you'd hear on "The Simpsons".

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

A drama with a laugh track!

trumpet sounds likes this.
  7. PaulKTF

Yeah, I guess they got pretty desperate and thought adding one would make people think it was like the old show (?). Such a weird idea... and it made the show really awkward to watch.

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  8. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

The 2nd one reminds me of a "Growing Pains", "Full House", "Step By Step", "Family Matters" vibe

Also had no idea there was a 1990 Brady show

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The moustache years.

10. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I will tell you this, they definitely milked the Brady Brand for all it was worth.

I've said for years, ALL the Brady kids should get together, and form a corporation. They could then hire themselves out as a team for corporate events, cruises,
    Cancun promotions, etc. They would make a ton of money.

Jack Lord and milankey like this.
  11. PaulKTF

The problem with that is that they all have families and projects of their own and frankly I imagine a few of them want little or nothing to do with it at this point. I think the time to do something like that would have been in the late 80's.

I know Barry does convention and stuff like that from time to time because I've seen him advertised as appearing but I think getting six adults with families and careers to commit to something like that on a regular basis is a bit of a stretch.

Also, as a group they'd probably have to charge a higher appearance fee and I doubt most convention organizers would want to pay it.

12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

In that case, what about hologram Bradys?

WLL likes this.
  13. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I remember that show. The year before that they did the reunion special "A Very Brady Christmas", which served as the pilot for this series. In my book they should have stopped right then and there.

14. RayS

I can just see myself spending thousands of dollars and thinking to myself "I'm going on a cruise with Marcia!!!" And when it's time to sail "something would suddenly come up" and I'd be stuck with the other 5.

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Worse -- Cousin Oliver.

I recall watching on one of the cable channels a hilarious Brady Bunch documentary that was done in the style of a Ken Burns PBS show, complete with B&W still photo crawls and a portentous voiceover. Anyone else see that?

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

why cant you come? 'oh, my nose'

Drifter, milankey and RayS like this.
  17. RayS

Not only is he boring and annoying, he's also a JINX! :)

Yes, I've seen it (must have been on YouTube).

18. RayS

Yeah and meanwhile there she is on Doug Simpson's racing yacht zipping past the cruise ship. And the captain says "No refunds" and all they have for dinner every single night is pork chops and apple sauce.

the pope ondine likes this.
  19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I’m just reminded how desperately everyone involved tried to milk this series. This might have been the worst attempt? Or was that the variety show?

20. PaulKTF

How about "The Brady Kids" cartoon?

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So the first two themes didn't have vocals at all?

22. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Bizarre reboot to an American institution. Having Bobby married to MTV's Martha Quinn and becoming paralyzed in an auto race is honestly the only thing I remember about it. Oh...and Fake Marcia!

23. RayS

Like paralyzed at 9:15 but okay again by 9:57 type paralyzed?

24. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

The Brady themes are awful but the Brady Bunch Kids' music is groovy! Sha na na na na na na, sha na na na na.

25. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Pretty sure they kept him in that state through the reboot’s untimely end. Not a Wile E. Coyote situation this time

darryl hollingsworth and RayS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.