A Schiit Audio System

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jon1969, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer Thread Starter

Ya, I hear you about the remote. I sat here last night looking for something bigger to zip tie it to. Maybe some reflective tape, string & turn into necklace! Anything. I am going to order the other tube that Schiit has for a spare as the cost isn't too bad. I'll try it out in a few months then go from there. No hurry.

2. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply. I have only used the Fiio in the car and with a Dewalt work radio at work so I don't have much to compare it to really. Once I get the Schiit I can compare the two DACs and have a better idea.

Galactus2 likes this.
  3. That’s what I needed to know. I love the Modi 2 Uber, and would love to try the Multibit upgrade. Unfortunately, I have to turn my Modi off when I’m on Phono, as it runs interference with background hum on my old McIntosh 5100. I can’t leave it on all day. As records are my fave medium, I’ll have to put the Multibit on the back burner for now.

Thanks for the tip,

Bill

4. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

I'll weigh in, as I have recent experience with this hardware:

I have a Ragnarok, driven by a phono stage and an Yggdrasil. Into 88db, 4ohm speakers (Polk LSi15 - LS50s as well). Folks have been telling me for years that those Polks need more power, so I bought one Vidar, taking input from the Rag's SE outs. Sounded good, better than just the Rag. Bought another Vidar so I could run mono, but the Rag balanced to Vidar triggered Vidar's protection - there is enough DC offset on the Rag's outs to do that apparently. After talking with Schiit (they offered to modified my Rag to filter the DC - the leakage is by design), I decided to go with a Freya per their recommendation.

I tried the Freya SE into a single Vidar, and that sounded much better than the Rag SE into Vidar. Configured two as mono blocks, and wow. It's not so much that there's extra volume on hand, but that there's grip, and presence. There's a "thwap" to floor toms that is startling once you start to pressurize the room. It's a configuration that I'm sticking with. Even though the Polks are 4ohm, I've not triggered the Vidar's protection. I'm using tube mode in the Freya. I've not tried the LS50s yet.

I did try a Jotunheim balanced into the Vidars. I wouldn't use that as a system.

I'd love if Freya had two sets of balanced outs. If I decide to keep the Rag as a headphone amp (or use the Jotunheim), then I would have to use a splitter on the single balanced outs of the Freya to keep the balanced chain going.

-- Todd

5. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I have a question about cables in regards to the Schiit gear.
    I want to go Fiio X5 > Modi Multibit > Loki > Valhalla 2

Is it best to use one brand of cables throughout? Or can I use different brands?
    I have the Fiio cable that came with it - a 3.55mm to female digital coax.
    So I need a longer run from Fiio to Modi and then a short run (I like the idea of the short 6" Schiit cables for this, but they don't have longer ones to complete what I need) from Modi to Loki and then a longer run to the Valhalla.

So can I mix them up or go with the same throughout the chain? If the same does anyone have a good recommendation where I could get all the cables needed and keep the runs as short as possible?

6. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I don't want to spark a war about premium cables vs. their more pedestrian counterparts, but I always recommend checking out Blue Jeans Cables. My system is almost 100% Blue Jeans Cables. I think the only cable that is not runs from my turntable to my phonostage.

Digital coax, USB, optical, RCA, XLR... I check Blue Jeans first.

John69 likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Hey, now. This isnt Canada.:D

Clay B likes this.
  8. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice.

9. ProfessorC1983

ProfessorC1983 Forum Resident

No need to use the same brand, but of course they should all be of similar wire/build quality or you'll always be "hearing" the weakest link in the chain.

I use interconnects based on Mogami 2549 wire and Amphenol connectors that I buy on Amazon from a vendor called "WORLDS BEST CABLES". To me they sound great for the price, much higher quality than the cheap Amazon Basics RCAs, while being a bit less expensive than BJC (and some in these forums seem to prefer Mogami over BJC, but I have not heard the latter so can't compare).

My signal chain is: { Schit Mani / Schiit Modi Multibit } -> DIY Passive Preamp -> Schiit Loki -> Elekit TU-8200DX Tube Amp.

Dignan2000, bever70 and John69 like this.
  10. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I got my Schiit up and running. I went with Bluejeans cables.

Fiio X5 II gen>Modi Multibit>Loki (haven't used this yet)>Valhalla>Massdrop HD6xx
    My ears are enjoying.

I wanted to thank everyone that offered advice on this thread and others. What a great place this forum is!

luckybaer likes this.
  11. Jon1969

Good deal, enjoying my Modi 3, Saga and Vidar. Pulled the Loki out for now, don't think my speakers/system need it.

Thanks to everyone also!

[​IMG]

33na3rd, LeeS, billnunan and 2 others like this.
  12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I'm reviewing the Vidar and Saga now. Schiit is sending me the latest Yggdrasil and the new Class A Aegir.

I can't wait until that Schiit hits this fan. :D

13. Jon1969

Hope you report back!

LeeS likes this.
  14. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Has anyone here used the preamp outputs on a Vali 2?
    If so what were your impressions?

15. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I was using the preamp section of my Moljnir2 to feed a seperate power amp but it sounded pretty poor. When my Freya arrived, the difference was night and day.

If you need a preamp, get a Saga, or if you afford it, go for the new Freya+.

luckyno13 likes this.
  16. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

I had a similar experience with the Jotunheim (as I waited for my Freya).

luckyno13 and billnunan like this.
  17. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Thanks, that seems to be a general opinion.
    I was just looking to try the tube flavour thing without changing too much as I'm very happy with my system.

Schiit are unsure if the Saga will work with my power amp as it has balanced inputs even though my current passive preamp is SE output as well.
    I'm sure the Freya's great but it's a big jump for something I don't really need.

billnunan likes this.
  18. John69

John69 Forum Resident

A question for anyone using the Valhalla headphone amp....How high are you able to crank the volume? Past 12:00? I am curious to see if I have old-man-ears.

19. John69

John69 Forum Resident

@Ham Sandwich - I wanted to thank you. You were the one who suggested I get some Schiit to go with my new Massdrop HD650's and I am pleased with what I got. So, my ears thank you. What a great site this is - lots of useful information. Thanks again!

20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Massdrop HD6xx is a very safe headphone to recommend. It sounds good and the price is very very good. Combined with a tube amp like the Valhalla and you've got a great pairing that doesn't break the bank.

John69 and Bill Why Man like this.
  21. Gommit

Gommit New Member

This seems like the ideal place to drop my stupid question.

I embarked on my Schiit journey with Modi and Vali to power my Hifiman Massdrop headphones. Soooo happy!

Next order was Mani and SYS to get daddy’s old turntable back online. Niiiice.

So this brings me to my totally noob question.
    I think I might have convinced my better half to bring a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers into the livingroom (they come in white). Would it be bonkers to use Vali2 as a preamp for a single Vidar?
    Or do I need Saga? (My daughter is named Saga so it kind of needs to happen anyway)

So question is:

Will
    Modi/Mani -> SYS -> Vali -> Vidar
    work?

22. ProfessorC1983

ProfessorC1983 Forum Resident

Yes. And since you have the SYS you wouldn't gain much from the Saga, since the Vali will add some nice tube coloration. The only additional benefits you'd get from Saga would be the additional inputs if you add another source, and the remote control capability. That said, I love my Saga S, it's a really nice piece of Schiit.

23. Jon1969

I ended up replacing my tubed Saga with a SYS and I liked it, I liked what it did to the sound. I already had the Sys.

A couple months ago I replaced the SYS with the Saga S and think I am sticking with that for now. It is really nice.

I bought the Modi 3 to go with this because of the price, it was inexpensive. At the time I wanted to sit back and see what Schiit was up to, I felt changes would be coming to the lineup and they did in the form of the Bifrost 2. I'm going to wait a while to read more reviews about it but will probably replace the Modi 3 with the Bifrost 2 in the next 6 months.

unclefred likes this.
  24. Jon1969

Just to keep things updated and current and take anyone along that wants to go on my journey....

As a refresh, my current Schiit system goes like this... FLAC on my laptop>>Modi 3>>>SYS>>>Loki>>>Vidar>>>Human 81 Speakers.

I was using the Saga S, but for the second time I have gone back to the Sys. To my ears it just sounds better. I pull the Loki in and out of the system; it's fun to play with sometimes.

The subject of this post is the possible replacement of the Modi 3 with a Bifrost 2, which is on order right now. I think it may be a bit before it ships out due to the crap going on. I don't jump into things too fast and thought about it a while before I hit the order button.

If anyone has some spare time and owns the Bifrost 2, I would like to hear your thoughts. I think it will be an improvement over the Modi 3 if the things I hear are true. I haven't heard much about the Bifrost 2 on this forum.

adamos likes this.
  25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I found the Modi multibit to be an improvement over the Modi 3. I'm happy with the Bifrost multibit but I've read good things about the Bifrost 2.

adamos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.