Amazon UK new pre-order pre-payment policy

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by imarcq, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley... Thread Starter

God knows what we are supposed to think. Total contradiction! Might just be an underling donkey who didn't know the supposed policy. I agree that more likely it's some backtracking. Duplicitous!

2. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

I received the same email as well, albeit for an order that has already shipped over the weelend lol

3. imarcq

@Billy Hunt I'm trying hard to work out what this letter is actually saying....I'll split it up:

1. If you wish to pay only at the time of dispatch, you may cancel your pre-order to get a full refund.

2. If you place a new pre-order for the same item we will only charge you once your item dispatches.

3. If you take no action, then your item will be dispatched as normal.

Option 1 is nonsensical.

Option 2 seems to be what we normally expect.

Option 3 doesn't say what normal is, but isn't 'normal' just Option 2 above anyway?

I give up!!!

4. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

This makes it seem like the issue was a bug in the system. Something that triggered early charges on each pre-order that took place between specific dates. But, we know it wasn't a bug. Different Amazon reps from different countries said it was a new policy.

This is the same as option 1.

What they wanted to say is that if no action is taken, nothing will happen and the order will run its course. But isn't that obvious?

imarcq likes this.
  5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Same here for an item that shipped 4 days ago! :)

My reading of the latest letter is that they are abandoning this new policy. Otherwise Opt. 2 defaults to Opt. 1 and you get into a death spiral.

Dubmart and imarcq like this.
  6. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

1 and 2 have to be considered together. Whilst I have of course already been charged before dispatch, in my case I haven't yet paid as it's on a credit card. My card statement date is the 20th so I've cancelled a couple of orders that won't have arrived by that date and for which I should get a refund. If I were to re-order then it's back to the old system. I have another order for which 3 is relevant, as there's an LP that should arrive on the 14th, so I haven't cancelled as my actual payment date would be the same.

imarcq likes this.
  7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

This whole thing kind of reminds me of Brexit

sonnyrock, dastinger and imarcq like this.
  8. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Ressurrecting this thread.

Is there any novelty on this subject?
    When pre-ordering has anyone knows if the money is charged on shipping day or after 5 day of the pre-order?

9. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

Based on my recent pre-order for the Pink Floyd box, placed couple of weeks back, I can confirm that they have not charged my card yet.

Luisboa likes this.
  10. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

I haven't pre-ordered anything I can remember of on Amazon lately, but I recall having pre-ordered something after all this and they didn't charge me at the time so I guess they stopped doing it. Don't quote me on this though.

Luisboa likes this.
  11. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I never pre-ordered anything ever, but this time I want to do it but not to be charged right away for something to be released on 29th November (complete Beethoven box set from Warner), something wich the complete tracklist has not been released yet.
    I supose I can pre-order it and if they charge me cancel it. Will it be any problems doing that?

12. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

No problem at all doing that. You just need to wait a few days for them to refund you.

Luisboa likes this.
  13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Similar but seems to be related:

August 20th: A few weeks ago I ordered an LP that seemed to be listed as "in stock" and "Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. "...

August 25th: Around the Day 5 point, my credit card was charged and the charge posted (not just a pre-auth). I never received a notification that the item had shipped out, though.

September 9th: Then earlier this week I got an email stating that they couldn't fill the order so they were canceling it, and the message specifically stated "we can confirm that you have not been charged for it." :eek:

I contacted Amazon.co.uk via Chat support, the representative quickly saw that I had been charged, and issued a refund.

Glad I was paying attention, and remembered that I had been charged, or I might have just read the cancellation email and took what it said to be true.

I wonder how much extra money they're getting for canceled ordered that were charged, that customers don't realize and never contact them to get refunds for?

I'm going to be more wary ordering from Amazon.co.uk in the future!

Craig.

All Down The Line and Luisboa like this.
  14. imarcq

Seems to be inconsistent. I ordered a Bowie pre-order for Octoberber and so far no charge....at least I don't think so....I guess I should double check now!!!

Update: No they didn't fortunately :)

Reese and Luisboa like this.
  15. imarcq

I think they have started doing this again? I read some comments on the Amazon.com deals thread this time. Interesting...

16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Thanks you have reminded me of one reason why I have never dealt with such a company!

imarcq likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.