EVERY US/UK #1 album Discussion 1970-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jmac1979, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the US #1 singles, this came up for discussion that there'd be interest in an album thread similar to the US and UK #1 singles. I think merging the US and UK together helps paint a broader picture of music from any given era instead of one territory or another where you have albums like Thriller, Rumours, Saturday Night Fever, Purple Rain, The Bodyguard and 21 amongst others that stay at the top for a good half year, if not longer.

Why 1970? I know this will be a source of contention, but I think it's a good starting place because in the 60s for every Beatles album that might get 20-30 pages alone, there are tons of easy listening and original cast albums that might get the chirping of crickets. 1970 is a good starting place and most of the greats from the 60s will still show up.

Albums will be covered when they reach their first peak.... Rumours for example reached #1 in the US nine months prior to its UK peak, so the US peak is when we cover it.

GreenFuz, ARK and Randoms like this.
  2. Jmac1979

Starting things off right here which on Jan 3, 1970 is #1 on both sides of the Atlantic is a 1969 leftover well into its run, and what a big one to begin this thread with!

[​IMG]

The Beatles - Abbey Road

UK: Sept 28-Dec 7, Dec 21 1969-Jan 31 1970
    US: Nov 1-Dec 20 1969, Jan 3-10, Jan 24 1970

ARK, sunspot42, ronm and 2 others like this.
  3. Jmac1979

What can you say? Great album! One of my favorites, even though I always do feel sad as side two winds down because we know what it pretty much entails for them, but truly a fine album that deserves all of its praise

Randoms likes this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Here’s hoping that September sees a new release of our beloved AR!

Jmac1979 likes this.
  5. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album. I used to waffle between it, Pepper and Revolver, but AR is just so transcendent in parts, and George really steps up to the plate with two of his best songs ever. Just a great album, deserves every bit of praise it gets.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  6. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Not my favorite Beatles album (that would be the White Album), but it is the only one on which I make a point of always listening to it all the way through, never missing a note. There are extremely few albums in my collection that have that distinction (a couple of others are Blue and Darkness on the Edge of Town, for example), so even for a Beatles album that's pretty special.

The side 2 medley usually takes me back to sophomore year in high school, when I first got to know it well. It was a pretty lousy year, but I knew my family was moving the following summer and I was really looking forward to that. "Step on the gas and wipe that tear away" had all the promise in the world for me then!

Jmac1979 likes this.
  7. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

My all-time favorite album. Pure magic - the Beatles went out with a bang!

Jmac1979 and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  8. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Abbey Road shows that the Beatles were still at the top of their game and could have been a major player on the music scene well into the 70s at least if they had stayed together.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  9. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Insipid; corny; bland; MORsville.........and that's just Something. A vastly over-rated album, stuffed full of milquetoast music.

carlwm likes this.
  10. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I'm really excited about this thread, so thanks for running with it @Jmac1979 . I like the idea of starting at 1970 because even though there were a lot of good albums we could talk about, the truth is that my favorites were always Beatles albums so that's almost too easy.

The Beatles - Abbey Road

I'm going to listen to these full albums as we go along, but for this one I don't need to. I'm plenty familiar with it. Abbey Road is brilliant and The Beatles' greatest album. Even if the band was splintering, they still managed to "come together" and go out with a bang. Best track is Something, worst is Maxwell's Silver Hammer...but even that one is entertaining so I'm not docking the album because of it.

Rating: 10/10

Jmac1979 likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s a great album. Didn’t discover it until about 10 years ago. Side 1 is especially strong.

If it’s not too much trouble, could you add a tracklisting for these albums?

Randoms and Jmac1979 like this.
  12. Jmac1979

ok, I will from here on out. Good thing is unlike the 60s where the US and UK got radically different tracklists for Beatles and Stones albums, for the most part the chart-topping albums of the past 50 years pretty much have set worldwide tracklists give or take a territorial bonus track or two. So it's not like how the US and UK Rubber Soul's are practically different experiences.

ARK, Randoms and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. John54

John54 Senior Member

Abbey Road is very up-and-down for me, with some songs I like a lot and some I don't like at all, on both sides.

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love the cover. Excellent image.

It leads to the beloved trick pub quiz question:

Q: How many Beatles are on the cover of Abbey Road?

A: 5. John, Paul, George, Ringo and a Volkswagon Beetle.

Only works as a verbal question but it comes up fairly regularly.

Randoms, Hoover Factory and Jmac1979 like this.
  15. Jmac1979

Going to update this about every 2 days, 3 if I'm busy. The second album is another that first topped the US chart at the end of 1969 but ended up returning to the top
    [​IMG]

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
    US: Dec 28 1969, Jan 17, Jan 31-Feb 28 1970
    UK: Feb 7 1970

1. Whole Lotta Love
    2. What Is and What Should Never Be
    3. The Lemon Song
    4. Thank You
    5. Heartbreaker
    6. Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)
    7. Ramble On
    8. Moby Dick
    9. Bring It On Home

ARK, ronm, Randoms and 2 others like this.
  16. Jmac1979

Solid album. I prefer some of Zep's stuff to come but there's no denying there are some real killers on this record

Randoms likes this.
  17. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin - II

The songs still stand out, but it's also Jimmy Page's production that makes me really excited to listen to this album. It sounds fantastic. It's amazing both how good and consistent everything sounds from track to track, being that they were recorded in a bunch of studios and at different times. Nipping in and out whenever they had time on that tour. I love how it's a huge leap forward from the already-awesome debut. Led Zep really stepped up their game. The songwriting is great as are the individual performances. John Paul Jones in particular is excellent. Stellar album. Best track: Ramble On, I guess.

10/10

Jmac1979 likes this.
  18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The only Led Zeppelin album I've heard all the way through. Borrowed a bunch of their albums from a friend recently and this was the earliest chronologically.

Didn't like it at all, sadly. Just confirmed my impression that the band wasn't for me.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  19. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

First track is excellent, and majority of songs are good. Bonham's MD ego trip is distinctly yawnsville though.

Jmac1979 and carlwm like this.
  20. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Probably my favorite Led Zeppelin album. “Whole Lotta Love,” “Heartbreaker,” “Living Loving Maid,” “Ramble On” - the album is full of classics that became FM staples. The sound quality is amazing - a sonic masterpiece.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  21. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

II is my favorite Zep album. My older brother had an 8-track of it, and I'd play it over and over on the 8-track player in the speed boat at my dad's lake house. Dad HATED rock and roll, especially that loud screaming crap like Led Zeppelin, but I loved the album. I usually skipped The Lemon Song (by changing the program on the 8-track player) because even at the age of 9, I knew it was naughty and I'd get in trouble if my dad caught me listening to it. My favorite song wavers between What Is And What Should Never Be and Thank You.

ARK and Jmac1979 like this.
  22. Jmac1979

New post just a day later, but given this thread is still pretty new and hasn't yet really begun to gain traction, nothing wrong with it.

[​IMG]

Motown Chartbusters Vol. 3
    UK: Feb 14 1970

1. "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" - Marvin Gaye
    2. "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" - Diana Ross & the Supremes and the Temptations
    3. "My Cherie Amour" - Stevie Wonder
    4. "This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You)" - The Isley Brothers
    5. "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose" - Marv Johnson
    6. "No Matter What Sign You Are" - Diana Ross & the Supremes
    7. "I'm in a Different World" - The Four Tops
    8. "Dancing In The Street" - Martha Reeves & the Vandellas
    9. "For Once in My Life" - Stevie Wonder
    10. "You're All I Need To Get By" - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    11. "Get Ready" - The Temptations
    12. "Stop Her On The Sight (S.O.S)" - Edwin Starr
    13. "Love Child" - Diana Ross & the Supremes
    14. "Behind a Painted Smile" - The Isley Brothers
    15. "(I'm a) Road Runner" - Jr. Walker & the All Stars
    16. "The Tracks Of My Tears" - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

ARK and pmc7070 like this.
  23. Jmac1979

Looks like a solid Motown compilation. Don't think it ever was issued over on this side of the pond, but I do see plenty of classics on here with the focus being mainly on hits from 1968-1969

24. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

In 1969 I bought my first single. In 1970 I bought my first album.....and this was it. I loved Motown, back then, and the UK Chartbusters albums were just wonderful. Stylish cover; brilliant music.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  25. Dawg In Control

Dawg In Control Forum Resident

Can a threadstarter hi-jack his own thread?? :cool::cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.