Power strips! 2019 alternative to the Wiremold?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by james, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen Thread Starter

I have to buy a power strip for the first time in well over a decade. My Wiremold L10320 that was popular in the early 2000’s is still in service but I need another. They’re 100 bucks now, not the 30 bucks that they used to be. Not a problem, but I wonder what the hot new thing is?

GloriaGuo26 and bajaed like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

What are you using it for?

I have a couple UPS (uninterupted power supply) units for my systems. Look for the ones without MOV's, and read-up on why. Uaually with half straight outlets, and half with surge protection. Most designed to keep you going for about a half-hour (so you can save all your work before your power runs out).

You can, however, save some dollars on a decent UPS with MOV's at your local Costco. Most likely to find ADC and Cyberpower.

I have one for my computer system in the office, and a separate Brick Wall for the audio stuff. This keeps interference from the audio.

I still have a Tripp-Lite power strip downstairs in the main system to replace with a UPS mostly for the video stuff, the audio stuff going again into a Brick Wall, to keep interference separate.

I also have two descrete lines in the house, one to the office, one to the system in the basement, aside from the existing power lines already there when I moved in.

This is much more than you wanted to know. It is also not as much as you should know.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Dan Steele and GloriaGuo26 like this.
  3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I've noticed that as well. I paid $50 for mine. I also need another, so I'll probably just spring for the $100.

4. Josquin des Prez

I can't speak specifically for the OP, but in general one buys a Wiremold because they just want a power strip, that neither adds nor subtracts anything. No surge protection, no UPS, nothing that's current limiting.

These are popular with Naim and similar systems, since the amps and power supplies will lose in SQ if put on a current limiting power system.

So what you are suggesting might be just the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Done A Ton likes this.
  5. james

It is, but I’m open to suggestions. I just don’t want to spend much on adding more outlets. The Wiremold seems like a straight forward way to do it that won’t do anything funny to the power going into my equipment.

6. Josquin des Prez

I think from there the cost starts going way up. My Naim dealer has been suggesting some things that are more than 10x the cost. AV Options specializes in higher end versions of Wiremold power strips.

I plan to have my house wiring changed for the hifi system before I invest further in power products.

Fishoutofwater and james like this.
  7. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Every powered device in my main HT is connected to one of several Tripp-lite Isobars in use there.

No complaints.

Jeff

8. macster

macster Forum Resident

Do a search for Surge-X. They are highly recommended. I have a Furman S6B and one of these and this which works surprisingly well.

M~

9. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have a Wiremold power strip also. I wish that I had bought a second one. The AV Options power strips look excellent but they are expensive.

I made a wood base for my Wiremold strip that is much like the ones shown on the AV Options web site so that it lifts the Wiremold strip off the floor.

Scott

james likes this.
  10. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

Brickwall Surge box as the foundation, tripplite or wiremold thin multi outlet strip for the source low voltage DC components everything else to the brickwall.

james likes this.
  11. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

I also purchased a Wiremold L10320 about 15 years ago for $3o.00. Last year I decided to purchase another for a second system and had no idea they were now close to $100! Anyway, after searching...researching...reading tons of web info looking for something similar, I decided to give in and purchased another for around $90.

Done A Ton and james like this.
  12. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I just replaced a wiremold with the $200 Audioquest power supply that Music Direct sells for $180.

The difference in sound was shocking. I'm very impressed.

Dan Steele, F1nut and james like this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

Nice, but it's a different kind of power strip, providing power management aka surge protection and filtration. Thus, not the same thing as a Wiremold. Some equipment doesn't play well with that kind of circuitry in terms of SQ. Just an FYI.

14. james

I have to admit that I’m unlikely to buy anything else Audioquest in the future being that they make expensive USB cables. Ruins their cred for me.

timind and russk like this.
  15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

That's an understandable position and one that I'm sympathetic to.

It's one of the reasons why I recommended (and use) Tripp Lite products. I've yet to see them making outlandish claims, or peddling snake oil.

Jeff

Big Blue likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

17. james

I hung out in a hospital bed for a little bit today and noticed a Tripp Lite box on the wall

18. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

I used the “classic” wiremold in 2 systems (former naim guy, me) but tried the AudioQuest PowerQuest 2 and my system sounds better with it. Quite a bit better. Also used the Pangea 6 outlet passive box for a bit—liked it better than the wiremold as well, but traded it toward the AQ. I still use the WM in one of my systems. I will be buying another AQ PQ2 for that system soon. It does not limit dynamics.

james, F1nut and 33na3rd like this.
  19. russk

russk Forum Resident

I’d second the Brickwall units mentioned above. I have one. Has 6 switched outlets and 2 unswitched. It also offers some basic filtering and isolation and is magnetically shielded. Works great. No degradation of sound quality at all.

Eight-Outlet Audio Surge Protector | Brick Wall

That’s the one I have.

davidb1, Ontheone and james like this.
  20. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I spent a fair amount of time looking for the 2019 alternative to the Wiremold L10320. Didn't find one, bought the Wiremold.

james likes this.
  21. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Looking at the guts of that item, it's nothing special. Any basic power strip will perform exactly the same.

timind, jmczaja and james like this.
  22. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

I find that the Brickwall units make my system sound fatiguing...

:shh:

23. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

FWIW: Many of the same people who believe the AQ stuff to be snake-oil also believe that the triplite filters are snake oil...

And while I doubt many claims out surrounding exotic cables, I do know that electrical impedances make a difference when it comes to clean data transmissions at higher frequencies. So there is at least some theory to backup why a cheap USB cable potential might not perform as well as USB cable which tightly conforms to the USB characteristic impedance specifications.

24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I use a 10-outlet (I think it’s 10) Tripp Lite IsoBlock for my system because they build them solid and don’t make any claims they don’t explain. Prices are reasonable, and I have no complaints, though I do recognize the OP may not be looking for surge protection.

25. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I think the Wiremold is similar to the Cable Pro Noise Trapper Revelation model I have had for a while- no switches, no surge, and an IEC receptacle so you can use your own power cord on it. It was expensive when I bought it and I don't think it is made anymore. (I'm pretty sure this is one of the products that NAIM recommended though I never owned any of their gear).
    APC makes power distribution strips of all sizes and configurations. I have one that has no surge, but it has a captive power cord. They come in a variety of specifications. They aren't cheap but are well made and you can probably find some for little more than $100.
    The Zero Surge, made in Frenchtown, NJ is the surge protector that, I believe, holds the patents for the similar units from Brickwall and several others. I use one of those to keep my old Quad Loudspeaker charged 24/7.
    I have a bunch of Tripplite products- they are fine, but I don't use them on components where I'm looking for no filtering effects- in fact, Tripplite's filtering is one of the few that used to prevent arc-fault breakers from tripping when using some big microwave ovens (I don't know why- but electricians were actually recommending it even where 20 amp dedicated lines were put in for the appliance).
    Ditto the Furmans- nicely made for the price as a mass market product, but if I don't want the filtering- which I can hear on the main system-- I don't use them in critical applications.
    I use a whole house surge protector, and point of use for non-critical applications; for my main system, I have a large surge panel built into the iso-transformer box installed in the backyard. (Big honking thing- about 350lbs worth mounted on a slab).
    I guess it would be inappropriate to suggest that people make their own, but I'd bet you could buy a bunch of quality receptacles and a good box and IEC receptacle and be there for the cost of parts (and just to be safe, recommend that an electrician wire the thing for you).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.