Albums disappearing from TIDAL - beginning of its end?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Hudo, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Noticed more and more albums disappearing from Tidal, is this a sign of their end, they're losing streaming rights and contracts with record labels?
    Just a few albums I had in my playlists which are not available any more:
    Tosten Goods, Roberto Di Gioa, Tim Lefebvre & Wolfgang Haffner : Thank you Baby!
    Momo Wandel Soumah: Afro Swing
    Dianne Reeves, Wynton Marsalis: Magic Hour
    Hugh Masakela: I am not afraid

Maybe its time to re-evaluate Qobuz ...

btltez, displayname and cdgenarian like this.
  2. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

While it's not good if the range of music available on Tidal is declining, I have recently only returned to them from Qobuz as I found the Qobuz catalogue much more restricted for my taste in music (rock/progressive rock/art rock/singer-songwriter). For me, Tidal offers a much broader range of music.

3. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

Spotify has become the same way with some titles and artists. Natalie Cole's Unforgettable With Love is an album that's disappeared from both platforms, just as an example. It's got to do with record companies and stuff. I seriously doubt Tidal is going away any time soon. Record companies are growing greedier by the year, so don't sweat it too much. :righton:

4. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

More reasons to buy CDs...? :)

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I've never subscribed to a music streaming service, but have basic Amazon Prime which includes some music and videos. What I've noticed with that service is that something will be included for "free" for a while and then moves into the purchase-the-download-if-you-want-it category. Seems like a good marketing strategy to me -- give people a taste of something they may like, hoping they will pay for it when it's no longer included as a free add-on to the basic Prime subscription. Maybe the record companies view streaming services the same way -- let stuff make pennies for a while, and then hope that once it disappears people will pay for a download or buy a physical copy?

6. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Hmm what do we have left when those streaming services are gone?
    We are paying almost nothing for a lot of music. When we that is ending up with nothing.

Why should the streaming companies dictate what I should listen to? Apparently when music is taken down from the server as in those examples. Then we can not listen those artists any more.

I do not care that record label 1 has legal issues with Spotify, Tidal and so on. I want to listen to my preferred artists.

7. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

FWIW some of these albums are on Apple Music but the bottom two are not.

This is par for the course with streaming. Speaking of Tidal, its owner Jay-Z has been pulling and restocking his albums on other services for a while, and these are highly popular hip-hop albums. What you’ve got listed here is more of the fringes of jazz catalogs, which is essentially a torture test for the services.

SoundDoctor and patient_ot like this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The pitance artists get from streaming, it's not before time that some have withdrawn material.

jay.dee, TheKevster, jusbe and 6 others like this.
  9. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

Early this year I converted my Tidal to qobuz and got about 75%. This was all rock so my perception is that qobuz has notably fewer titles but I noted Most were the less popular titles. Still not great because those were some I wanted to add to my Roon library rounding out the artist and just sampling Vs buying.

I will review my service end of the year.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

They don't. You're paying for a service - for what they have licenses to stream to you. Just as you cannot go into a restaurant, demand a Coke product, when they only have a license/agreement to sell Pepsi products. You want Coke, find a restaurant that serves Coke, or you can buy your own :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

A pittance is better than zero.

12. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

I think it is not the same.
    In your analogy:
    You go past several restaurants. One of infothem have (a sign) that they have Coke (artist/album) you go in and get a Coke (the OP had listen to those tracks) after a while you want to order another bottle of Coke.
    Now you realise they do not have any Coke anymore! And you have already payed a monthly/yearly fee.
    And they have indirectly dictated that you can not have your Coke.. ..not there anymore anyway.

So if you want to listen to what you like you need to go somewhere else..

jusbe, caracallac and cdgenarian like this.
  13. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I did just that. Amazon Prime had the Jon Anderson/Rick Wakeman collaboration The Living Tree and Spotify had the same plus the live album from their tour for that album. I loved this music.

One day, earlier this year, both Amazon and Spotify deleted these titles. Not wanting to be without this music, I bought the albums (The Living Tree and The Living Tree Live) (as imports I believe) for just over $40 for both.

If you like Yes, these albums are fantastic.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It's the same. Pretty sure the streaming service will give you a refund. What are you suggesting that TIDAL do for you? They just keep your favorite band for 'you' to listen to, even after their licensing agreement with the artist runs out?

15. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

This is surprising in light of the several threads here and on other forums that assert, serene in their rectitude, that physical media is dead and streaming is everything. It appears that streaming is some things but not everything.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Then buy physical media which is there at your command. Then you can hear what you want, when you want to hear it.

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It's just like any other streaming content provider. Eventually it'll be a situation like Netflix vs. the other streaming providers where catalogs shrink and users have to subscribe to multiple services. It's a huge reason I'm not giving up my CD collection or paid downloads.

18. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

I have noticed that sometimes when an artist has a new re-release or compilation album coming up, their record company purposely restricts the availability of their music on online streaming services, to encourage people to buy the album rather than just streaming their music. Then once the album has been out for a while, their music reappears on streaming services.

19. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I know copyright/royalty disputes can result in immediately suspending titles from streaming services.

Not saying that is what is happening here.

20. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also noticed few songs disappeared from Spotify, but definitely not in quantities as on Tidal.

Just hope tidal is not (again) in financial crisis so labels started pulling out albums. Not sure if any of those streaming services are making any kind of money, all the subscription $$$ are going into market expansion and even the biggest one, Spotify, is struggling.
    Apple and Amazon don't really expect for their services to be profitable, its just a up-sale channel and to keep users on their platforms buying one/few core products.

21. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Good advice. :agree:

That is exactly what I am doing.
    It seems to me that majority streams and that is the holy grail. (Maybe not so much on this forum)
    I am only listening on new releases on Spotify at work to find new music and artists with their latest creations.

Then I buy the album if there is one. On a format I prefer.

Like somebody said I will never leave my physical collection.. .. but I have split feelings about someone else has the power to decide what I should listen to.

It is like your wife going to your music collection when you are at work and take out 10 random albums and put back 3 other albums that she took previous month. :winkgrin:

jusbe, caracallac, RONENRAY and 2 others like this.
  22. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Then go buy the physical copies or create your own streaming service?

23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Why would you give up your CD collection?

Seriously, why does this all-o-nothing canard have to be in every streaming thread?

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Many people have done just that. They ditch their CDs. Maybe you're not aware of this. It's not all or nothing for me, but it is for some people. Have a nice day.

Bluesman Mark, jusbe and caracallac like this.
  25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Who are these people? Do they post here? Are you sure you're not inventing them to prove a point? TIA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.