Record stores in Dublin???

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by CBM, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBM

CBM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Going to be in Dublin next week and wondering if there are any good shops to recommend. Will be staying in Temple Bar. Most interested in things not easily available state side--UK pressings, etc.

2. Depending on how common it is what you are looking for; you will probably need to get out of Dublin to find anything desirable and not overpriced.

try:

Spindizzy
    Mojo
    Sound Cellar
    Freebird
    R.A.G.E.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Freebird Records, Wicklow Street

Spindizzy Records George's Market

Tower Records Dawson and O Connell St

The Record Spot, Fade St

All City, Crowe St

Oh, in fact look here :

https://blog.discogs.com/en/discogs-guide-dublin-record-shops/

You might be more likely to pick up Irish pressings rather than UK ones and yes, beware of prices. Spindizzy can be very reasonable, mind.

Not sure if Mojo Records has reopened or not. George died a couple of years ago, but I heard a rumour that it had reopened. More power to them, if so.

4. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Tower have two stores , one in
    Dawson Street, and second in Eason store on O’Connell street

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I get the impression he’s looking for second-hand, vintage vinyl, though. Tower is great, but all new stock.

6. How are Vinyl Dublin and Superhero?

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Vinyl Dublin is only round the corner from Record Spot and Spindizzy, so no harm in calling in. Of Superhero, I know nothing.

zphage likes this.
  8. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

If you want new pressings then I'd recommend Tower Records on Dawson Street. The first floor is just records apart from an annex for TTs and equipment etc. You can at least see the signed album Bob Dylan sent them for their support; it's behind the till.

Spindizzy in the George's Street Arcade is decent. They stock new and second hand. Prices are fair. I have got solid stuff there over the years. Ask at counter if they have anything 'going out', they always let me ransack the selections still awaiting filing. Generally in my experience second hand there ranges from €9 to €20 for most things in the A to Z though they often have tasty stuff on the wall.

Freebird on Wicklow Street is good also, as mentioned. Though I think can be a bit pricey on certain second hand. I associate most things being €12 to €15.

Both these shops stock the covers on the racks in new plastic sleeves and file the discs / inserts. Don't know how particular you are on condition but neither shop has natural light. I just mention it. I have lost count of how much stuff I bought in these two over the years!

Vinyl Dublin (if it's different from @culabula 's one) is on George's Street Dun Laoghaire and not the George's Street located in Dublin 2.

Both it and Superhero are out of the city. The former is in Dun Laoghaire which is accessible by a Dart (train) heading south from either Tara Street or Pearse Street stations, nearest if you are staying in Temple Bar. Takes c. 20 minutes.

Superhero is in the Blackrock Market. The same train serves it. Less travel, 15 minutes maybe. Only open weekends. The market is about two minutes walk from the train station.

Not as familiar with those two to be honest. Used to trek out to such places before parenthood curbed my record hunting.

Bespoke stalls often crop up on weekends in Meeting House Square in Temple Bar. Books and records sometimes but not a huge variety.

The earlier reference to Mojo Records is worth checking out. Ran by the late, great George Murray. Was in Temple Bar but was sporadically closed. May have reopened. Would be delighted if it was. Used be good for U2 / Irish stuff, if that's if any interest.

Best of luck, anyway!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    zphage and culabula like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.