Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Just think, no more Webb Pierce or Bill Anderson boxed sets, no chance of ever having a definite Warner Mack set, Loretta Lynn's all gone; probably even her Zero recordings. Conway Twitty, gone. Most depressing thing though is that they sat on these recordings for years and years and did nothing with them. And there is so much out there today in vaults that no one is doing anything with. We are more worried about putting stuff back on vinyl instead of just reissuing what is sitting in the vaults that hasn't been heard in decades.

turnersmemo, maloney, Mr. H and 3 others like this.
  2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

At the pressing plant/factory there are negatvie tape of the recordings on tape.So it can be rescued with these tapes.

melstapler likes this.
  3. Svein Arne

Good chance for that many of these are in Iron mountain archives for tapes/recorded music.

4. Svein Arne

Starday/King records messed up much of the music on the records.There must be much good music there.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Not likely at all

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If audio copyright law had long ago stated that the artist owned their masters, this would not have happened

maloney likes this.
  7. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

It doesn't guarantee there won't be any more box sets by those artists, but it does mean any potential reissues will have inferior sound quality and no unreleased material. Depressing indeed.

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Many reissues never came from actual master tapes. Only some did. Most were from tape dubs or even vinyl/78 transfers.

There is still a lot of great music out there by all of these artists.

Most of what we have now is not "inferior", so there is plenty of music by these affected artists to enjoy in this world

9. GodBlessTinyTim

True, I was just referring to Bear Family releases in particular which use the masters whenever possible.

maloney likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I actually wonder if the original tapes were used in many BF productions. My guess is that they often had dubs provided by the US corporations. Certainly for many of the items issued by Bear Family, even from the tape era, first generation tapes no longer existed at the time of BF reissues.

.crystalised. and melstapler like this.
  11. Svein Arne

First Dick Curless CD box mostly all was recorded in Stereo.But is in mono in the box.These was played on radio in Norway in the 80s.That is a mystery.
    Just like most of the Carl Manns Phillips International recordings was recorded in stereo but released in Mono on the CDbox.These are amazing in stereo.:confused:

melstapler likes this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think that in almost all cases of a vocalist recording, the mono is better than the stereo. I wish all the BF boxes had selected the mono.

Martin Byrne and melstapler like this.
  13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

What a tragedy. Check out this article out which is from 6/11/19. Universal are claiming the New York Times report wasn't entirely accurate. If Universal are trying to save face, that would make sense as well.

“While there are constraints preventing us from publicly addressing some of the details of the fire that occurred at NBC Universal Studios facility more than a decade ago, the incident—while deeply unfortunate—never affected the availability of the commercially released music nor impacted artists’ compensation.”

Universal Music Group Claimed No Master Recording Burned in 2008 Blaze. New Report Estimates Hundreds of Thousands Did | Smart News | Smithsonian

14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Good point. I wonder if BF utilized different sources to complete the project? At the time of its cancellation a few years ago, I seem to recall they said it was completed, but couldn't get legal clearance for certain tracks, which made it impossible to release a truly "complete" set.

RSteven and Mr. H like this.
  15. That could be a case of Universal covering themselves. Giving our litigious society these days, I have no doubt there are legacy acts with their lawyers pondering lawsuits over this against Universal.

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  16. Svein Arne

A boss from Universal was asked about original movies was burned up in the flames.He said it was only copies of the original movies.It was shown on CNN when it was burning.So maybe some music did not burn up.

melstapler likes this.
  17. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

The Patsy Cline set was in production for several years already. All the masters, transcriptions and demos had already been remastered. It wouldn't have been the first time that Bear Family sends back original tapes and the "major" company enquires about them – "What's this? Did you get it from us? We thought we've lost them somewhere...." :D

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Who ever trusts a "boss"?

maloney and melstapler like this.
  19. Svein Arne

djcavanagh and melstapler like this.
  20. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Maybe you should stop returning them. :shh:

21. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

George Jones --- Starday/Mercury, United Artists and two Musicor boxes. Pre-1970 Possum was a total mess before those four.

22. GodBlessTinyTim

First disc of the Merle haggard set was even better than expected. The only less-than-great track was the version of "Sam Hill" with background vocals, which isn't even the fault of the Hag. Will be listening to the next CD or two today.

Narvel Felts' Rocks is essential if you don't have Did You Tell Me and Memphis Days, and still a fun listen if you do. Rare one from 1966:

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

which merle set?

24. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

25. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Got to be this one.

I’ve enjoyed that set a lot. I have the two covering his earliest years. I’ll need to give them a spin, soon.

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.