The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

1966[​IMG] 1974[​IMG]

Crispy Rob, marmalade166, trd and 9 others like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

And one day NHL refs will defamiliarize themselves with the NHL rulebook, and act accordingly.

trd and Archtop like this.
  3. US Blues

That quote contains the very information I was thinking of earlier today, thanks for sharing it again.

bmoregnr and wavethatflag like this.
  4. wharf rat doc

wharf rat doc Forum Resident

Me too

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Dead Set has the same problem. No jams. What is on there is good Grateful Dead music though.

6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I too love a good Throwing Stones despite the TS > NFA combo being way overdone, which was a disservice to both songs. For me Jerry is the hero, similar to how he is on Estimated Prophet. Actually, as I type this I'm thinking I've said this exact same thing before.

One moment, yes indeed:

Turns out this was only two months ago, so that probably should have been a little fresher in my memory than it was :)

7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

This prompted me to back up a bit more in that sequence from 3/31/73 Buffalo and listen to He's Gone > Truckin' > Jam > The Other One > Jam > I Know You Rider, which I got to today. A good use of time.

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

As I noted in my post, that is a chronological list.

US Blues likes this.
  9. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

30 years and a day ago.... I drove the '66 Fairlane (affectionately called the Deadmobile) up the coast from Santa Cruz to the Eel River.

Now it's part of an official release.

6/10/89 French's Camp on Eel River, Piercy, CA

I: I'll Take A Melody, They Love Each Other, Get Out Of My Life Woman, Run For The Roses, Stop That Train, Mission In The Rain, My Sisters And Brothers, Deal

II: The Harder They Come, Waiting For A Miracle, I Shall Be Released, Think, Hope It Won't Be This Way Always, Don't Let Go, Evangeline, That Lucky Old Sun, Tangled Up In Blue

10. Billy_Sunday

a 17-song JGB show. Not many of those around!

11. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I would humbly ask those searching/interested in Dark Star performances among the best to be sure you don't miss 4/28/71. That is all.

Peace,

Zafu

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Dead music can be confusing. On 30 Days of Dead 2011 they have "Let It Grow" preceding "Weather Report Suite," but "Let It Grow" is part II of the Suite. Further, part II of the Suite is really the third part because it begins with "Prelude."

So I had made my eighth consecutive stupid post over the last two days or so, concerning the above, but I deleted it because I was suddenly struck with fear that "Let It Grow" was not actually a separate song. I was still reeling from @bgzft's @bzfgt's "there's almost always two Jerry solos in 'Morning Dew'" comment.

8/30/80 Scarlet >-> Fire

13. Billy_Sunday

Morning Dew has 2 Jerry solos, every time. Unless there was a weird train wreck or something.

You get the main song with it's 4 verses, then the 'bridge' to the latter half of the song, immediately after that bridge you get a Jerry solo, (usually ripping), then verse 1 again, and then the quiet introspective part slowly but surely builds up to (if we're lucky) the volcanic eruption (9/18/87 for example).

So you get the short solo right after the bridge, then a longer solo leading up to the climax of the song.

I count 2 Garcia solos. YMMV.

Crispy Rob, martinb4, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  14. wavethatflag

Good thing I've been listening to this music for 32 years already, otherwise I might have to quit.

15. Billy_Sunday

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah, I said "almost" because you never know whether something weird happened once, or if there's a really early version that's an exception. It's the standard thing, though.

I don't take him to be denying it.

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

20. wavethatflag

Blast from the release past. Remember the days when this box was a massive amount music to release? No American Indian-themed bento box or nothin’.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, Archtop and 4 others like this.
  21. US Blues

Many years ago Rob Eaton digitized the Vault to DAT. That article was posted here at SHF on the front page earlier today, and it made me think that the GD Vault should be Plangetized in its entirety. For security purposes. If they happen to sell us something that would be OK too.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

At the time So Many Roads was released, only fifteen Dick's Picks had seen the light of day, plus 2/11/69, the limited edition 3/15/90, Fallout From The Phil Zone, Dozin' At The Knick, and of course the mighty Hundred Year Hall. Quite a lot of material, but it seems so little now!

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Gee, I was not aware of that disaster! Reading "Coltrane masters for Impulse!" sent shivers down my spine :(. A real acrhival tragedy.
    I remember an article published on Rolling Stone (at the time The Golden Road box set was about to be released) that talked about the Dead's vault and all the fire safety measures that had been taken.

24. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

The one I have framed from that day has Garcia smoking his non filter and its a sweet close up, have seen numerous others from that show but that one captured something mundane but important to the person that we all saw many, many times. Do not have a cell phone as some of you already know so no pics. I do recall one of our members and his family visiting and Dad DH commenting on said photo.

PS: The label on my Spac '83 tape that we got in DC a couple of days after the show is written "Emotional Dew" and I still stand by that description...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That list was probably the list of known circulating Betty Boards from the storage locker sale. There were a lot of other Betty Boards that remained in the Vault all along, like 5/22 and I believe all of May '77 from 5/11 on.

budwhite, ianuaditis and bmoregnr like this.