Wentworth

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by KatCassidy, Jun 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

In Australia there was a notorious soap opera "Prisoner" (retitled "Prisoner: Cell Block H" for Europe and "Caged Women" for northern America) which ran from 1979 to 1986. In 2013, a remake screened entitled "Wentworth", now near the end of the third season. Similar in themes, some people say it kicks the $#!+ out of "Orange Is The New Black"

[​IMG]

"Wentworth" follows the story of Bea Smith as she arrives at the prison and battles her way to become "top dog" of the women, although her motive is to get revenge for the drug induced death of her daughter. Once in the top position, she battles the vicious governor Joan Ferguson, known to prisoners as "The Freak".

Also following the stories of Frankie Doyle, a hard-ass prisoner who becomes top dog before Bea, and Doreen Anderson who has a surprise in the second season. There are other prisoners who's stories are followed on and off in a truly ensemble drama, but those three are the lead characters.

I've been told it is available in America via Netflix and is on both DVD and BD in Australia. For more information http://wentworth.sohotv.com.au/ No spoilers without tags in this thread, please. I certainly didn't expect the last episode to end the way it did. And next week is the big season finale, whilst I do know the show has been renewed for next year.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Yes I will join you in your enthusiastic support of this show. Absolutely fantastic. Edgy writing, great acting and it seems to follow a story arc that must have been worked out right from the start.

Like all shows, there is the occasional bit of weak writing and sketchy side plots, but the main thrust of the show is very compelling. The actress playing Frankie is particularly great to watch - she really sells her character! Pamela Rabe, playing the Governor also turns in a top tier performance.

One watch point: There has been a lot of criticism on this forum of the overuse of the teal and orange colour palate. This show uses them both very heavily.

Highly recommended. If you can find it on Netflix in the US, do yourself a favour.......

3. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I watched Cell Block H back in the 80's and loved it. I will have to check this out if I can find it.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I recall watching this series in the US in the late 70s...it was called Prisoner: Cell Block H. I can't recall what station played it, but if memory serves it was local channel 11 (NY) and it was on late (for a 10 year old) like 11 or 11:30. I LOVED the show. "The screws!"

CrazyCatz likes this.
  5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I'm nearly finished with the first season of "Wentworth" and I'm absolutely hooked! This show is much, much better than Orange Is the New Black, IMO. It's too bad this show isn't getting a fraction of the attention. It's dark, edgy, tragic, violent and packed with action. Maybe it's a little *too* serious for some, but for me, this is the best new Netflix discovery since "Stranger Things".

Fullbug and CrazyCatz like this.
  6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I've watched all 4 seasons and it is great TV.
    That said, some of the plots in season 4 are beyond ridiculous.
    I found myself thinking "there's no way in a million years this would happen" but I still couldn't tear myself away from it.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  7. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

I watched tha Original Prisoner Cell Block H, with tha You used to bring me Roses Theme tune, was a long Time ago, LWT or Central? Late nights.. Bee Smith, Lizzy, Ferguson"The Freak" whilst I've only caught pt of season 1 and most of Season 2, missed a few.. So will be buying tha Box Sets.. New Series is Great!! in many,many ways an equal and Successor..

atb

8. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I like both but prefer OITNB. The power dynamics are more subtle, and there is a more satisfying balance of aggression, fear, humor, tenderness within each character and across the plot lines.

9. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Mrs. Fullbug has been bingewatching Wentworth the entire weekend.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

11. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

My favorite show.

12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

This show reminds me of Oz but with women. I'm enjoying it halfway through season 1.

13. dmiller458

Who threw that noose?

14. karaoke

karaoke Forum Resident

Have watched the first three seasons so far....excellent show...

Ed Hughes likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I found this show belatedly after watching Wanted, another Australian series. I was reading an interview with one of the stars of that show and she said something like "we're not trying to be Wentworth" (i.e. Wanted is more light hearted).

Anyway, that inspired me to check out Wentworth.

I'm two seasons through so far, but it's great! Good characters, good writing, good acting.

This is FAR FAR better than Orange is the New Black. The first season of OstNB was decent. The second was OK. The third was unwatchable and I gave up. It gets increasingly cartoonish, and it ultimately drowns in its PC objectives.

dmiller458 likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tenko?

17. dmiller458

Wentworth is back!

AndrewS likes this.
  18. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

:confused: What season are you talking about? I just checked and it’s showing 6 seasons and I’ve seen them all.

19. dmiller458

We're three episodes into season seven.

20. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Hmmmm? Mines only showing the 6. I’ll check again. Thanks.

21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Very strange, checked some of my devices and they all show 6 seasons. Maybe it’ll show up later. Pretty sure I paid my bill. Lol! Anybody else watching season 7 of this awesome show?

22. dmiller458

Ed Hughes likes this.
  23. dmiller458

Bea Smith RIP

Ed Hughes likes this.
  24. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

13th August is the earliest season 7 of "Wentworth" will be on Netflix. This the the date the season finale will screen in Australia. Previous seasons, it has been added to Netflix a couple of hours after the season finale ends on Foxtel (Australian subscription TV). There are, of course, ways and means to watch it before then, but we won't discuss those here.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  25. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Gotcha, thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.