Audio Technica ART9 MC Cartridge- The Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 26, 2016.

1. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

I was looking through one of the cheap lighted loupes I bought off of the auction site. It's easy to inspect a stylus with one of those. I do have a new USB microscope around here somewhere. I will try to take some good photos later in the week and post them. I had one of these USB microscopes before, and for some reason my laptop will not connect with it anymore. I have not had much time to set up the new one yet.

I am a cartridge collector of sorts. I do like the newer Audio Technica cartridges - quite a bit. I also have some of the older ATs that are phenomenal performers. However, I have all kinds of cartridges in my collection to include ADC, Acutex, ZYX, Shure, Sony, Denon, Ortofon, Concord, Stanton, Pickering, and Technics. The ART9 is my current favorite with the ART7 a close second.

Heckto35 and Davey like this.
  2. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

I second this!

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

FWIW I posted back in post 723 a picture of my sra, it is not a great closeup cause I was trying to capture the angle but you can see a decent (not great) view of the diamond.

4. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

So I did some extensive listening without headphones. I found that i'm getting some pretty bad woofer thumping at moderate volume, but I was able to knock it out using the HPF on my preamp, more of a bandaid than anything. I'm guessing it is related to the high compliance of the ART9. The turntable is on a wall mount and has sorbothane footers, I don't think it is an isolation issue.

I also did a resonance test, and compared it to results I got with the MIMC star and 2m Bronze. Oddly enough, all three came in with a resonance frequency of about 7.5 HZ, so maybe there is something to the knife edge and Jelco's response of "it was designed to work with all cartridges". Below are screenshots of the ART9 vs the MIMC star. Measurements were taken using a CBS SRT-100 test record vertical compliance bands. I also double check my results with a Shure test record resonance test, which is is visual, and all three carts had the same result on the 8hz test band.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  5. DrummerGuy

DrummerGuy Active Member

Hi:
    I've been a professional musician for 40+ years and have done extensive recording, touring and teaching and I'm proud to say also an audiophile ( not the "snobby" kind !). I have heard various components that do get better with age and believe it or not they do start to "develop" their own character over time. No this is NOT "faith" or "pure fallacy" as suggested and it's truly unfortunate that a few are unable to hear these differences. "Caveat Emptor": Providing the cartridge that you've chosen sounds extremely good provided you're lucky enough to be able to audition it and even if you do hear a few "minor" anomalies such as a slightly "hot" high end or maybe too much or not quite enough bass etc, these will improve. The reason being, as most of you are aware, phono cartridges whether MM or MC have suspensions that hold and support the cantilever. A cartridge will change/improve with the hours put on it as the suspension begins to "loosen up". The majority of people, myself included, do have the ability to hear these changes and they can take place in as few as 10 hours but generally take much longer depending on your cartridge. Once that initial break in period has taken place the cartridge will continue to improve over time mind you the change will not be nearly as drastic. If you're unable to audition the cartridge, like most of us, do as much research as you can - read columns such as this one and any others you can find if you like what you read in regards to the description of the the sound and if it's a good match with your tonearm, turntable and electronics including your phono pre amp, step up device then you've done all you can. Now this is where the "leap of faith" takes place. Once you've decided and have it installed and set up correctly you can take comfort in the fact that you'll have years of enjoyment and piece of mind knowing that you've made the right choice and that your cartridge will continue improve over time!
    Thanks!

Russooll and Heckto35 like this.
  6. Thx1326

Thx1326 Active Member

So... I've been monitoring this thread and working on completing my turntable build project. I'm coming to a close and have taken a detour and would like to hear the members thoughts and comments on the following:

I just procured a like new Signet XK50 / Audio Technica At1100 tonearm and an Audio Technica AT650 SUT. Discussions with several techs at AT have informed me that this tone arm is still being used to spec their cartridges so this should be a perfect match for the Art9. It came with two arm tubes. I "re-engineered" the second arm tube by replacing the aluminum alloy tube with a 6mm carbon fiber arm changing the effective length of the tonearm from 240mm (9.44 inches) to 304.8 (12 inches). Headshell and mounting is stock and fits perfectly. The new arm with new cardas wiring comes in at 0.1 gram more weight/mass. I can easily eliminate this difference by replacing the metal cartridge mounting screws with nylon. My thoughts is that the carbon fiber will be less susceptible to any "ringing" and will definitely decrease the tangent error since the 12" arc is way less sever than a 9" arc.

Any thoughts or comments?

patient_ot likes this.
  7. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

If you are looking for an ART9 I am selling a brand new one in the classifieds..

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Thx1326

Thx1326 Active Member

9. KlausK

KlausK Active Member

Just wanted to chip in with my experiences regards to my new vinyl setup - the AT-ART9 and Technics SL-1200GR. Yes, it certainly need break-in time, and it's rendering becomes rather cloudy and dull during the first 15 hours or so. Then it starts to clear up and demonstrates that this is a special cartridge producing premium sound. I am also using the KAB damper (TD-1000) and Thorens Stabiliser and I heartily recommend this combination. I run it at 1,8 grams/100 ohm as recommended by AT. Some users have reported that they suspect the ART9 to have a too high compliance for the Technics tonearm, and I will not hesitate to point them towards the 170USD KAB damper - more precision and extension both high and low, even more space/soundstage and a more tangible feeling of the music. I have none ill effects what so ever.

avanti1960 likes this.
  10. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I did not see recommendation to run Art9 at 1.8 gm tracking force? Specs per AT are 1.6-1.8 gm. I run at 1.6 grams myself, but I run all AT carts to date at lower side of spec, my ears/brain combo think this is the best place.

11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

And I have no damping pot as you have Klaus and definitely have found that if you do not, go with lowest effective weight arm that you possess, it really matters on how this cart performs.

12. KlausK

KlausK Active Member

13. KlausK

KlausK Active Member

Going down to 1.6 actually adds more refinement, I think (first impression). I will keep it there for a while...

14. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

I run mine at 1.8g.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Mine is also at 1.8g. I tried a lower vtf but although I thought the highs became more transparent, the mods and bass suffered.

16. plastico

plastico Forum Resident

I too run mine at 1.8g but at 120 ohms.
    Cheers, Doug

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

When I bought my GR my ART9 was over a year old and well broken in. Once installed, it sounded spectacular under all conditions and there was not a hint of miss-tracking, blurring or bloat caused by an abundance of resonance. Inf fact the bass quality and definition was better than on its replacement cartridge (Ortofon Cadenza).
    I also used max recommended VTF (2g) for the first 200 hours as recommended by users who had experience with this cartridge.

18. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Which Cadenza?

19. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I normally reduce until bass suffers then back till it doesn't. Seems a good way to find the sweet spot.

20. zoomin

zoomin Forum Resident

Profile says Cadenza Blue.

Uglyversal and Heckto35 like this.
  21. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Boy, I'd say - the ART 9 (18 cu @ 100Hz spec) on an SL-1200 tonearm with a 12g EM, and using even a conservative 1.5x multiplier shows a very low 6.6 Hz resonance. If you use a 1.75 multiplier it drops to 6.10. Using a heavier headshell than the stock 8g Technics makes the numbers worse.

Not one I would pick out of a lineup for the 1200 based on traditional compliance matching. For the "real life" argument -- that low a compliance match from the start I probably wouldn't expect that "real life" could overcome this poor of a match and there are better choices available.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  22. KlausK

KlausK Active Member

Exactly what I worried about before the purchase. However, another rule of thumb says that the 10hz compliance value is found by dividing the static value by 2. Anyway, another perspective is that, with the damper installed it more or less sails through the lateral test on the HIFI News test LP - with only small warble in sound around the 7 and 9 Hz test tones (and almost no physical wobble visible).
    Question: Would it be wise to use the small aux weight and move the balance weight very close to the pivot? Any thoughts?

23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I think it would be a good move to have your weight closer to pivot if you can.

24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Blue. When it eventually needs a re-tip an ART9 will be in ts place.

Heckto35 and Uglyversal like this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

With that method, we turn a cartridge (the ART 9) that has an 18cu @100Hz dynamic compliance into a cartridge with 17cu @10Hz? Meaning now the 10Hz number is LESS than 100Hz number? See the problem?

So if I don't like the numbers the conventional method gives, invent a new rule of thumb that makes the result better...... LOL gotta love the internet... I did a search on "cartridge static compliance divided by 2" and saw a few hits, so as always there is something out there for any case one wants to make.

The "sliding scale" method of using a multiplier of 1.5 to 2.0 is also not perfect, and an estimation, but at least it doesn't result in the 10Hz number being less than the 100Hz number.

Daicehawk likes this.