Hi-Res Download News (HDTracks, ProStudioMasters, Pono, etc.) & Software/Mastering Part 12**

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, May 9, 2015.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Likely yes to #1, I'm unsure to #2; but LIKELY yes also.

As a general rule, I've found the APO's to be superior to the Verve's.

Edmoney likes this.
  2. moomoomoomoo

This was a surpise: there's a 96/24 2019 "remaster" (??) of a DC5 best of from about 10 years ago on both HDT & PSM. With the usual 20% off new releases, it's under $9. I'm probably going to grab it.

art likes this.
  3. JTS

JTS Forum Resident

I have the 2008 release and it is dull sounding. I bought the 24/96 and it sounds so much better and the dynamic range is one point higher across the board. I wish more hi-res was priced like this.

4. moomoomoomoo

Thanx for the info! For similar pricing, check the indies: Bandcamo, Ani Difranco's site, Laundramat for Juliana Hatfield, & occasionally Onkyo has low pricing

5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

tech notes on DC5: 96 kHz / 24-bit PCM – BMG Rights Management (UK) Limited Studio Masters

Tracks 1-28 – contains high-resolution digital transfers of material originating from an analogue master source
    Tracks 1-5, 7-11, 13-24, 26-28 – 44.1 kHz / 24-bit PCM, mastered in 96 kHz / 24-bit
    Track 6 – contains material which utilizes a limited amount of the available bandwidth??????

so not true 96/24

6. moomoomoomoo

I just bought the DC5. I'm about to play the entire album, but initial thoughts from 2 tracks: It could be better sounding, but it is the highest SQ I've heard this material in. Probably that previously fell to the Hollywood 2 CD set for me.

art likes this.
  7. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

That sucker sure is cheap, around $8. I'd guess it's all mono, right?

8. moomoomoomoo

I no longer have it, so I can't answer definitively.

9. moomoomoomoo

Must be a re-eq of the 2008 if they only have 44/24 to work from. For $9 I'm still pretty much ok, though I would have preferred more early recordings & less of the later (though they did a rather odd cover of Neil Young's Southern Man that I have on a boot somewhere that I kinda like).

10. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

I bought 10cc Original Soundtrack from Bandcamp at 16/44 FLAC and it sounds pretty close to the SACD version. This was mucho cheaper so I stayed w/the FLAC download.

11. PeterDoubt

PeterDoubt Active Member

I've been trying to find a decent mix of Late for the Sky since the first cd was released. Nothing has come close to even the original vinyl. Can you point me to a source? I'd be in your debt...

12. moomoomoomoo

jmrife likes this.
  13. PeterDoubt

PeterDoubt Active Member

Thanks, I'll have to check if that's the version I have. I've been ill the last couple of years and I don't remember if my hires was on Rhino. Was there a release before this? All I remember is it had the muddiness talked about earlier and being dissapointed. I've just assumed this one was the same. I'll check in the morning.

Thanks again, moomoo...

14. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

My vinyl was always so noisy and it's such material to begin with-the noise was distracting....sold it off when I got the 192....they did a wonderful job on arguably my fave JB album ever.

I got it from Pono....so, I can't vouch 100% that it's the same on HDT, but experience tells me usually it is.....

15. moomoomoomoo

PeterDoubt,

The date stamp on the files I bought for Late is 6/28/14. I haven't played it for awhile. My memory is I really liked both the HDT Late & Hold On Hold Out. I've never seen hi-res of the first, 2nd or Pretender. I am curious to find out if the new Running on Empty is better than the dvd-a when it comes out. I think I read there is going to be a download option.

From aprox 2011-2014 HDT had a section on the website called "Warner Flat Transfers" & I've never heard one I didn't like. The only bad Warner's I can remember from that period were 24 bit dl's taken from poorly mastered dvd-a's.

My memory of all the early JB cd's is:
    1st gen Muddy
    2nd gen bright, screechy & LOUD.
    The 2nd gen were not marked remaster except on the cellophane, but there is a huge sonic difference which makes it pretty easy to tell. I've never done a DR comparison on them.

I no longer own any on Elektra cd except the 1st 2. I own Pretender on DCC, Running on dvd-a, & the others through Lawyers In Love on 24 bit download.

Many of the Warner "Flat Transfers" (from all of the artists in the series) have gone in and out of print over the years. There was a time or 2 when Late For the Sky was oop, & both Hold On & Lawyers are not currently offered on HDT.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    TonyCzar likes this.
  16. moomoomoomoo

The only Pono album I ever definitely noticed a huge difference on is the CSN debut. When it was available, the Pono remaster simply destroyed the 24 bit version that the other stores carried.

Plan9 likes this.
  17. PeterDoubt

PeterDoubt Active Member

Well, my version says 2014, no date (that I can find). 192/24. I listened again and it’s just really muddy. No clarity at all. Played Willie’s Stardust and it’s night and day. Like taking cotton out of your ears. Using my Pono and my computer. Pretty sure I bought this on HDTRACKS.

Thanks for all the input...

18. moomoomoomoo

May be different voicing on our systems.

19. PeterDoubt

PeterDoubt Active Member

I don't think that's the difference. This is really a stark difference. I'll have to try to listen to another file, maybe mine's corrupted in some way...

20. 10cc are on Bandcamp!??!

Is this page legal?
    Did someone upload their own 10cc albums to Bandcamp?

This looks suspect.

c-eling likes this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

PSM & Qbuz have a 24 bit version of the Stills-Young band Long May You Run. HDT does not seem to be carrying it. At the time of writing, Onkyo, 7Digital & AS have not put up this week's releases yet. The 96/24 is much cheaper on Qobuz ($14) but PSM has a 192/24 version that Qobuz isn't carrying. I assume Neil supervised the mastering; if true I suspect it will be excellent.

art likes this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The name of the page is even "tribute to 10cc". No doubt this is illegal and in no way an official page.

patient_ot and ChristopherTeuma like this.
  23. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I bought it from NYA. It is excellent, as has become the norm with his remasters

moomoomoomoo, art and jhm like this.
  24. moomoomoomoo

What's he charging?

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

$11.61 if you are a subscriber

moomoomoomoo likes this.