What were music videos made for in the 70's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tjumy, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tjumy

Tjumy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Before MTV even existed, who watched music videos and how? Were there are TV programs showing them? I know videos have been existing for much longer than MTV.

2. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Top Of The Pops in the UK.

It meant the band didn't have to turn up in person every week to mime the song to a bunch of bored looking teenagers.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

In the 70’s, Midnight Special, Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert, and occasional talk shows would show music videos, either in their entirety or snippets.

Jarleboy, Sean, weef and 1 other person like this.
  4. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Even Ed Sullivan and the Smothers Brothers used them on their shows.

5. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Not only that, I think they had to rerecord the song for the performance, due to musician's union stuff. I'm not sure of the exact details though.

Jarleboy and OobuJoobu like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, for Australian Movie Theaters for promoting records.

Jarleboy, Sean and bataclan2002 like this.
  7. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a few 70s Styx videos that are labeled as Promo. Not sure if they were ever shown on a network show or just for the record label.

8. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I had thought they were used to promote bands and artists in markets where they didn’t necessarily tour.

Jarleboy and mmars982 like this.
  9. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Such a brilliant idea! Never saw this happen in the US that I’m aware of.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I remember seeing videos on DKRC and I always thought it was really lame. Little did I know it would be the SOP for music artists in just a few years.

Were videos also used for promotion within the industry? I seem to remember hearing something about that once.

Jarleboy and lightbulb like this.
  11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I would imagine record companies had to work pretty hard to get their acts seen once they start to get some chart or radio traction. I recall there was a cable tv system in the Cleveland area in the late-70s, where customers were serviced with a five-button control that interracted with the cable box, and they were looking for things to do with that, from local government functions to new ways to order products. Wouldn't surprise me if they had tried some sort of video jukebox function now and then.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Jarleboy, CBackley and Steve Litos like this.
  13. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

The Kenny Everett Video Show (1978-1981)

Jarleboy and Purple Jim like this.
  14. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

elektra asylum and wb bros all had video dept's ( tiny but they grew ) for "promo" purposes as mentioned here.

15. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Yes, there were music shows on TV all over the world, I presume. In Brazil, at least, there were a few. Or variety shows where such videos could be shown.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Bohemian Rhapsody video was considered a big thing when it came out. Like on shows American bandstand. I think they called it the "film" of the song or something like that- but not a video as we know today.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

As a pre-adolescent comedy nerd with insomnia, a TV in my room, and parents who didn't care if I stayed up all night, I used to watch a lot of late night TV, especially on weekends. A lot of syndicated comedy shows either had bands perform between comedians or sketches (this is how I discovered Wall of Voodoo, playing "Back in Flesh" on some standup show a couple years before "Mexican Radio") or would show videos.

I remember the Jerry Lewis telethon would play videos by like Wings or Stevie Wonder late at night as well.

lightbulb, Sean and hutlock like this.
  18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember seeing videos on American Bandstand occasionally -- for example, "Coming Up" by Paul McCartney and "Cars" by Gary Numan.

Also, HBO used them as "network time killers" between the end of one movie and the start of another. It sometimes used Warner Bros. cartoons for the same purpose.

Finally, I remember seeing "She's Gone" by Daryl Hall & John Oates on a local Philadelphia show, "Steel Pier" featuring Ed Hurst.

MikaelaArsenault and Jarleboy like this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

In Australia we had Countdown, Sounds, Beatbox and several others.
    Videos were always promotional tools.

downer likes this.
  20. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Good idea for a topic, I never understood the amount of videos shot in the 70s myself.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I've got a small collection of Electronic Press Kit videos, mostly VHS, but a handful of 3/4" U-Matic as well. My favorite is the Jethro Tull / Bursting Out promo on 3/4".

22. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Michael Nesmith’s “Popclips” show on Nickelodeon ran for a few years 1979-1981, I believe, and Nick’s parent company, Viacom, bought the rights from Nez and that’s what became MTV.

Here’s Popclips playing Nez’s own “Rio” clip, which was fairly groundbreaking when it came out in ‘77 (And pretty funny when it gets to the dance segment), followed by a host segment from comedian Charles Fleischer:

starfieldroad likes this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Actually, I’m posting this out of order. Here’s a series of clips before the one ai just posted. This segment has two clips from artists I can’t identify, then it ends with the start of Nez’s “Rio” clip, which continues on the segment I posted above this one:

24. downer

downer Senior Member

I worked in a record store in Australia from '79 - '83 - we had a U-Matic video player and a big projection screen TV in the back of the store, so we always had video content supplied by the record companies playing during the day - they always had stuff to supply us with - clips, concerts, in-house promos

starfieldroad and Jarleboy like this.
  25. adad

adad Forum Resident

Many were made for coin op video machines.
    Panoram (Soundies) then Scopitone.
    From wiki
    Even though the popularity of the Scopitone had faded away by the end of the 1960s, the same concept was still in limited use throughout the 1970s by acts such as the Carpenters and ABBA both of whose early productions were shot on 16mm film before transitioning to videotape. The last official film for a Scopitone was made at the end of 1978.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Guy Smiley and Jarleboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.