Savoy Jazz CDs made in Japan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan Steele, Jul 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member Thread Starter

After some radio silence, back with another find from the local bins.
    Milt Jackson Opus de Jazz, CY-78804. Obviously this is not one of the maroon colored cds from the early 90’s , but instead is from the “20 bit Master Transfer Collection” (aka Mastersonic) from 1996” in mini LP format. Glad to have it for $4 from the local used bin. Enjoy the first track, the Horace Silver composition Opus de Funk.

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  2. Dan Steele

Been a while, but here a Yusef album that although not Savoy has several tracks he used on Savoy dates. I also posted this on the Jazz and Conversation thread. The live at Ronny Scott album is from January 1966. On this thread I’ve already posted Yusef’s Jazz Moods album (1957) which is in my top 3 of the Savoy issues - they share the song Yusef’s Mood, a rollicking song that ends the live set. A Savoy Yusef I don’t own is the album (only LP and not a CD issue?) Jazz and the Sounds of Nature where he plays Song of Delilah. That is also on the Ronnie Scott set. I wouldn’t say the Ronnie Scott cd is a great sounding cd, but for a 1966 live date I think it is good enough and the material is wonderful.

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think I may have been the first to post about that live Lateef, in Listening to Jazz and Conversation as I pre-ordered it and listened to it as soon as it came out.

If you haven't Dan, check out the 2 cd set "Last Savoy Sessions." It contains all of PRAYER TO THE EAST, THE DREAMER and THE FABRIC OF JAZZ--and contains three cuts from JAZZ AND THE SOUNDS OF NATURE.

All of JAZZ AND THE SOUNDS OF NATURE appear with 7 other albums on the four cd set from Fresh Sounds, "Yusef's Moods."

Jazz for the Thinker, Jazz Mood, Before Dawn, Other Sounds, Stable Mates, Jazz and the Sounds of Nature, Prayer to the East, and The Sounds of Yusef

Bobby Buckshot and Dan Steele like this.
  4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I also like the mastering of these early 1990's Denon reissues of the Savoy material.

Concerning the mono/stereo indication on the back cover, I have found one that is wrong:

Booker Ervin "Cookin", recorded in 1960, is marked "monaural" but is actually (very wide) stereo.

Strangely, Booker Ervin's "Down in the dumps" has 6 tracks recorded at the same session, but the Denon CD reissue is mono (and marked as such).

Dan Steele and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Thanks for mentioning "Down in the Dumps" Claude--it's one of the few Savoy/Denon cds I don't have and I remembered I was looking for it, found a nice affordable copy on discogs

Dan Steele likes this.
  6. Dan Steele

Thanks for the suggestion Lonson, have been through Yusef’s live at Ronny Scott’s cd a few times and really enjoying it. His variety of instrument playing is fascinating. On this one he plays tenor, flute, shenai and xun (going off memory). Blues for the Orient and Song of Delilah have that hypnotic middle-eastern vibe. I think there may be an issue with the track listing because my cd player was showing a different order than the liner notes iirc.

Lonson likes this.
  7. Dan Steele

Picked this up earlier in the week, an early MJQ, from the 1991 series, SV-0111. Recordings are from 1951-2, a little earlier than my normal fare. Kenny Clarke is on drums for most if the songs, and Ray Brown is still on bass for 4 songs.

[​IMG]

fatwad666 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Didn't know this until I recently watched a documentary on Dizzy via YT that the MJQ started out as the band that played during the breaks in Dizzy's big band concerts. Kind of explains their tendency to mellow the mood a bit. Actually gave me a new respect for their playing.

Dan Steele and fatwad666 like this.
  9. fatwad666

fatwad666 Forum Resident

Never knew that — makes good sense. What documentary if you don't mind me asking?

Dan Steele likes this.
  10. Bobby Buckshot

This one...about an hour long. It can be tough getting around Dizzy's eating and talking at the same time but keep with it...

Dan Steele and fatwad666 like this.
  11. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Some recent additions for me...

[​IMG]

12. Dan Steele

Nice! Images I have and like. I have never seen that Bright Spot, how is that?

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

chewy, Bobby Buckshot and Dan Steele like this.
  14. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

New to me, I’ve only played it twice but dig it so far, can’t have enough Kenny B...:cool:

Dan Steele likes this.
  15. Dan Steele

New find from this week out of the local bins for $8. This is Lee Morgan’s second ever recorded session as leader, Lee Morgan Indeed for Blue Note was done a day before in Nov 1956, but Introducing was released first in 1956 and Indeed was released in 1957. Lee is only 18 years old at this time. I’ve poked fun at the quality control of some of these Savoys from a marketing standpoint - if its “Lee Morgan with Hank Mobley’s quintet”, would that not be a sextet? Well, its actually Lee plus Hank’s quartet which in this case is Hank, Hank Jones (p), Doug Watkins (b), Art Taylor (d). But I quibble, I’m glad to add it to my Savoys, and hear the young Lee paired up with Hank for the first of many times, now let me get out the magnifying glass and read the LP facsimile liner notes.....

[​IMG]

JRM and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

17. Dan Steele

18. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

A couple more new additions. I’ve been on a big Tal Farlow kick lately so that was an easy decision for $7.99!

[​IMG]

Dan Steele and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  19. Bobby Buckshot

Great pick ups! See the prior page in this thread where we discussed Sun Ra's involvement on several tracks on that Hawkins CD.

Dan Steele and JRM like this.
  20. Dan Steele

Back on page 3 (post #53) I list the Savoy CDs (I’ve since discovered I have some gaps, will take care of that later) up to the 1994 series. At that time they changed away from the burnt red color to either blue or apparently from your post, a green color, and many (all?) are called the SJL collection. Thanks for providing as example because I had only seen them on discogs, and I can’t recall if I added the “blue face” note to my list on page 3. I stopped the list with only a few of the 1994 series so yours is not listed since it appears to be from 1995, but they are still using the same nomenclature, SV-0267.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  21. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

22. Dan Steele

JRM likes this.
  23. Dan Steele

Ok, I’m back in the Savoy game, Booker Ervin’s Cookin’ mentioned by @Claude above. Basically a spin-off of the Charlie Mingus band in terms of players (Richard Williams, Dannie Richmond, Horace Parlan) but more straight ahead hard bop. Another tragic early death of a jazz musician in his prime, Booker died at age 39.

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and Claude like this.
  24. Bobby Buckshot

[​IMG]

Same album but a different version than @Dan Steele 's above. I think this is from the same Mastersonic series as post #201 only it's in a jewel case instead of card stock...discogs listing here.

Dan Steele likes this.
  25. Recently got "Kenny Burrell with Frank Wess - Monday Stroll" and have been listening to it this morning. Nice mono sound.

This CD has a label that I haven't seen before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021