Which Oppo DVD should I get for 2-ch audio and where are the best prices?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Warren Jarrett, Jun 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam Thread Starter

Now that Oppo will not make any more DVD machines, I want one, probably either a BDP-105 or a UDP-205. But I don't care at all about video or multi-channel audio. I only want it for stereo playback of DVD-Audio, SACD, and BluRay Audio discs. The best stereo sound quality is my goal. Since a used 205 is about $1000 more than a used 105, the difference may not be necessary for me to spend, for only the 2-channel (stereo) audio quality.

Does anyone here have experience hearing these models in a high-end stereo audio system? How close are they in sound quality, playing DVD-A, SACD, and or BluRay Audio? Also, what about the "Signature" modification? How different is that?

Finally, what about after ModWright changes the power supply and analog stage to vacuum tubes? Well, I already have a ModWright SACD player, so maybe I won't spend that much again.

2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

You will get a lot more bang for your buck with the 105 than with the 205. Although you could potentially even go for a 95 if you have no desire to use your Oppo as an outboard DAC in addition to being a disk-spinner.

All 3 models are based around the Sabre chips and so all have a fairly similar sound. Many people love the sound of the Sabre chips. I don't know where your personal preferences may lie, but I don't think that anybody thinks that the Sabre chips sound bad (although some of us think that you can do better).

I have heard a modright 95 on an unfamiliar system once, and it sounded really good. Although since I was unable to compare it to anything else, I can't say how much of the sound I heard could be attributed to that player.

FWIW: Another possibility to think about here: You could get one of the lower model Oppos (103 or 93) and use it as a universal transport for a high-end high-res DAC. This is what I do with my 103 and my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. It didn't used to be possible to extract the DSD signal or high-res PCM signal from universal players like this. But it definitely is possible today, with some adapter cards which have become available in the last 5-ish years. Feel free to PM me if you want to learn more about this last option.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Guys, how is the Oppo DV-981HD...(DVD) no analog video outputs just HDMI...but analog RCA audio outputs...plays SACD, DVD-A, etc...

5. Warren Jarrett

What what? No... my question was "Which!"

6. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

WOW! I had no idea they sold for that much. Six months ago i bought a BDP-105 at a local GoodWill for $15.00. It did not blow my dress up so i gave it to my daughter.

7. Johnny Action

I bought an Oppo BDP-83 used for $200 American it’s its great and should be all you need so go get one before they’re all gone you don’t need to spend thousands to enjoy your music for crying out loud.

8. Warren Jarrett

Please speak for yourself. YOU don't need to spend thousands to enjoy YOUR music. That is valid and to your credit. But, I have found that I enjoy MY music more as I upgrade my sound quality, so now I am in the 10's of thousands, and quite happy indeed. A BDP-83 won't cut it for me.

The only Oppo's that I would consider for MY music in MY audio system is a BDP-95, BDP-105 or UDP-205. And it is these models that I am asking about. But thank you for your input and your opinion.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  9. Johnny Action

Uff! I hit a nerve. Sorry. Unless you’ve ever auditioned an 83 versus the others (like I have) it’s just $ talk.

10. Warren Jarrett

No, really you did not hit a nerve. I am a big boy; I can accept a variety of opinions, particularly about audio. I just wanted to make my point clear with you, and have some fun with you at the same time. No offense, just spirited sharing of opinions and preferences.

I have not heard an 83 myself, so you are right I cannot say for sure what my opinion would be upon actually hearing it. But, I have read from many sources that Oppo's goals for the 95, 105 and 205 were to focus on improved 2-channel audio, which is the only aspect of a DVD player that interests me. I can playback movies from ANY DVD player and be quite happy, because I am not at all picky about video, as I am about audio.

I merely "watch" movies for their stories. But I immerse myself in music.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  11. Anton D

Anton D Forum Resident

Modwright is now recommending a current Pioneer model. UHD LX500.

I’d compare to the Oppo. Plus, new and not used.

12. Warren Jarrett

Hello Anton. I am "following" your posts now, so I can add my 2 cents to any of your topics, if I have an opinion to share about it. Who knows, maybe we will have a heated argument someday. :cussing::blah:

13. Warren Jarrett

Sometimes, I just hear a component in my system and KNOW that I love the sound of it. With digital, I have heard SO MUCH digital that I know I don't like, that when I plugged in an Oppo 105, I was transported by it's excellent dynamic contrasts, natural tonality, and analog-like liveliness. I am now sold on Oppos ending in "5". I will keep the 105 in one system, and choose another Oppo model to add to my second system. Based on this thread and further reading, my current tendency is to save the money and buy a 95 next, which quite a few people say sounds better than the 105.

Modwright cannot very well recommend any Oppo now, since they have declared going out of business. So I wonder if their Pioneer recommendation means they like it even better than their previous Oppo recommendation, or just that its the best current model they are able to find, now that Oppo is gone.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

Why is that?

stereoguy likes this.
  15. Warren Jarrett

Keep in mind that I am not choosing an Oppo to play movies, only to play SACDs, DVD-As, and BluRay Audio discs into a 2-channel audio system. So, in not wanting an 83, it is because I am focused on the fact that Oppo specifically created the 95 to upgrade the 2-channel sound, compared to any of their previous products. This leaves only the 95, 105, and 205 as Oppo's candidates to provide me with the best possible 2-channel sound from hi-res format discs.

16. Warren Jarrett

Wow, SH.tv members in California are up late tonight. What are we all doing awake at 2 am?

17. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

I mean that’s pretty vague though isn’t it?
    Have you thought of getting a DAC?

I work late.

18. Warren Jarrett

I have a very nice Mark Levinson DAC in one system, and an even nicer Audio Note DAC in another. They sound wonderful with Redbook CDs, using a transport ahead of them. But neither will play at SACD, DVD-A or BluRay Audio resolution. So I recently decided that I want the capability to play these discs in full hi-res, in both systems. It takes a DVD player, designed to play these formats, to do this, from their analog stereo output jacks, NOT from their digital outputs.

So I bought an Oppo BDP-105 for one system, and wow, it sounds very impressive compared to Redbook. Now for the second system, I wanted some help deciding what model of Oppo will sound as good or better, but maybe less expensive than the 105. What I learned, now, is the 95 will sound about the same, maybe a little better or a little NOT better, but for a considerably cheaper used price, and I think that is the way I'll go.

Thank you everyone for your help.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I still have one as backup. It is OK, but definetely not as refined as 105 I bought after it.
    For simply 2 channel player I think old Denon players (3010 for example) are very hard to beat, especially if you like laid back sound. And they now cheap as dirt.

Michael likes this.
  20. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

I have a 105. As between the 105 and the 205 I don't believe there is anywhere near $1000 difference in SQ. The DAC chips are similar enough and the implementation is also similar enough. Though you may not be interested, the 105 has two advantages over the 205. It has a few apps built in such as youtube, netflix and other services. Second, it can also be used to easily rip SACD's and run the files through an even better DAC. These two advantages also available on the 103.

That having been said, as a DAC, the Oppos leave much to be desired, hence the cottage industry of Oppo modifications, which I consider to be wastes of money compared to the addition of a first rate separate DAC to the system. So now I sometimes use the Oppo as a front end for audio/video but all of the sound runs through a much better separate DAC.

RH67 and Old Zorki II like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

22. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

The 103 and 105 also still decoded HDCD discs, while the 203 and 205 didn't. Wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, but it may be for some.

The discovery of the SACD ripping capibility of my 105 was a minor miracle for me, though.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

That's true. I loved the sound of my 3930, which preceded my Oppo 105. Unfortunately it's very likely that these older Denons will need their laser laser assemblies to be replaced. Mine stopped reading SACDs and many burned discs and that's why I eventually got my Oppo.

24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If 4k is not needed for video, then the 205 is not needed.

Warren, you are correct on leaving out the "3" models, as their DAC is not the quality ESS Saber DAC's found in the 95, 105 and 205.

I used a '93 and now have a 203, but I bought them for different reasons. They fit directly underneath my 4k TV because they are not as tall as the "5" series, I run any CD's sound through the Saber DAC in my iNova, so as far as CD"s go, I'm only using the Oppo for a transport.

Though for DVD's and Blu-ray disks, I use the HDMI out to the Emotiva 4k processor.

Old Zorki II likes this.
  25. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

How difficult was it to rip sacd? I have a Mac so I hope I can still do it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.