PORCUPINE TREE's 'In Absentia' deluxe edition coming soon.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam Pajda, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident Thread Starter

'In Absentia' deluxe edition coming soon - just announced on the band's FB profile.

So cool !!!

So let us speculate what the content will be.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  2. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!:righton:

Adam Pajda likes this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Dok, jacek2, anduandi and 1 other person like this.
  4. Adam Pajda

From what I read some time ago both "In Absentia" and "Deadwing" will receive the new 5.1 surround mix.
    Hopefully it'll be released on standalone BluRay Audio next to other formats.

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If I enjoy Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, and I really like Fear of a Blank Planet, are these two albums likely to be wanted additions?
    Sorry if that's a stupid question. I am still getting familiar with Porcupine Tree and Wilson, though I do have most of his 5.1 releases.

6. Adam Pajda

Both In Absentia and Deadwing are better IMO than Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. Bear in mind though, that In Absentia and Deadwing are the beginning of metal period of PT career. They have some heavy riffing next to some beautiful, cinematic compositions. Both albums also mark the moment Gavin Harrison joins the band so you can imagine the drumming is jaw-dropping.

7. mark winstanley

Cool. I may like them more then.
    Cheers

Jimbino likes this.
  8. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Bring on the 5.1!

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Adam Pajda

It's beyond hard to choose which of the three - In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet - is the best. And then comes this damn THE INCIDENT which I can't still put my finger on and with which I have love/hate relationship.

10. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

I'm with you on the incident, can't decide if I love or hate that album.

Adam Pajda likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

Well based on that info, I am certainly looking forward to this. Fear is a great album, and if the other two are as good, that makes them essential.
    Thanks for the info!

12. Adam Pajda

I'd risk the statement that these three albums constitute the peak in Porcupine Tree's career.

13. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

The only way to enjoy The Incident is as a whole. The payoff of "I Drive The Hearse" is stunning after listening to the whole album straight through; a cumulative effect. Deadwing is still my favorite PT, but The Incident is right up there.

(When SW pulled out "Arriving Somewhere.." on the last tour I got goosebumps.)

Bossfan, bobloblaw, akmonday and 5 others like this.
  14. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Agree on I Drive The Hearse. In my top 5 of PT songs ever and I'm not even sure why I love it so much.

15. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The DVD-A was released in 2004. How would this differ?

mando_dan likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Guessing new mix. I too have the DVD-A, when I bought literally everything at once of theirs in 2009.

17. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi Forum Resident

So what is likely to be included other than 5.1?

Any good B-side and any likelyhood of full live audio or video?

CybrKhatru likes this.
  18. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

According to member Plan9 (posted over at QQ), no new 5.1 mix was planned, but the new set will have a corrected version (IIRC a polarity problem was found on the original disc).

And from another post at QQ, this from an interview with SW some time ago:

Plan9, CybrKhatru and bleachershane like this.
  19. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

"Coming Soon"

Before or after the 5.1 of Pink Floyd Animals? :hide:

20. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

For sure. Particular if you like Fear of a Blank Planet, both albums are arguably better. The thing is, Porcupine Tree had a run of like... 7 albums I'd consider "A tier" and the bookends are just B tier, but still not bad in sections. Probably the most consistent group from the 90s/00s period in terms of quality. Of course, you'd need to enjoy progressive rock, metal, alternative rock, space and electronic music to get everything out of it.

As for the reissue, I really hope these end up good. In Absentia is fine, but just fine. Deadwing was really loud and the only big problem I have with it.

EDIT: no Deadwing

SirMarc and mark winstanley like this.
  21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  22. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Probably before - I believe he's said later this year, so I'm guessing the fall, October maybe.

four sticks likes this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Very much yes. I think IA and Deadwing are a continuation of the style of Stupid Dream and Lightbulb (my two favorites), just a bit heavier and with more intense drumming. FOAB is, similarly, an extension of IA and Deadwing, IMO.

SirMarc, mark winstanley and Myke like this.
  24. mark winstanley

Ahhh, the missing link.
    Cheers mate

25. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I am very pleasantly surprised. I had last written Burning Shed about these two reissues (In Absentia and Deadwing), on September 21, 2018, because originally they were "forecast" to be released in 2018.

======================================================================================================================================================

Here was Pete's answer:

Hi Scott
    Thanks for your email.
    Thanks for your email.

There are Kscope digipak re-releases available of the *original* masters but we are not stocking them as we are waiting for the forthcoming expanded/remastered versions.

Unfortunately we do not have a definite date for these yet.

As soon as we have information we will let everybody know via the newsletter.

Kind Regards
    Pete
    www.burningshed.com
    [email protected]

===========================================================================================================================================================

And that is the last I was heard. In wake of the continued death of physical media, I had decided they were probably canceled. And now this great news! Thanks for posting.

P.S. I did sell the DVD-A of In Absentia some years ago, but didn't terribly regret it if only because I only have two DVD-As in my entire collection. Now I am glad I did sell it, because I think the reissue will surpass it. At least I hope it will. When Steve revisits stuff, it usually is to the benefit of the material.

P.P.S. And yes, his e-mail had a redundancy . . . his e-mail had a redundancy.

EVOLVIST and manco like this.