Rega Neo Turntable PSU

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Graham 12" Remix, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt Thread Starter

The power supply for my Rega RP3 developed a hum, which seemed to be getting worse, so I had to replace it. Upgrading to a PSU seemed sensible, if only because it would let me change speeds at the touch of a button. I bought one. It arrived yesterday, and I am just completely blown away... It seems a staggering improvement. I could hear extra instruments backing Kate Bush in The Kick Inside and everything suddenly seemed in time in New Order's Temptation 12".

Therefore I have two questions:
    What's going on? Does anybody know why this upgrade could make such a difference.
    What could I do next to upgrade? Currently Rega RP3/Elys 2 going into a Rega Fono MM MK3 Phono Stage with the cable that came with the turntable.

Randoms and Kristofferabild like this.
  2. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

If you don't already have the Groovetracer Reference Subplatter, I'd say that will also make a significant improvement. Other than that, I'd not mod the table any further. Down the road an MC cartridge with appropriate phono stage would be my goal.

McLover likes this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I don't know that need to spend as much as a Groovetracer subplatter, there are much cheaper options like the Tango Spinner. I purchased a Deepgroove subplatter off eBay, and it made a huge difference. I bought it with a 20% off coupon, but even at $108, it worth it. I have a P5, which didn't come with the TTPSU stock. I purchased it afterwards. The subplatter upgrade is a much bigger improvement than the power supply.

4. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Agree with the subplatter upgrade, the Tango Spinner will be fine. Since you already have the Rega mm Fono, how about an Exact.

The Neo is a sweet piece, it uses dsp to generate a 24 volt sine wave for the motor. It was based on the RP10 power supply and is not simply an upgrade of the old one.

Don’t go crazy on upgrades to an RP3. You could end up sinking more into upgrades than it would cost to just upgrade to a P6. If the rest of your system is up to snuff, there is a huge difference between the 3 and the current P6. I know, I had the current P3 for over a year before trading it for the P6. The trick part on the P6 is the Tancast 8 plinth. Only way to get one of those is to buy a P6 or P8

Dan Steele and Randoms like this.
  5. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I am also thinking about upgrading to this. Are you still satisfied with it?
    Also what other improvements did you experience? =)

6. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

A subplatter upgrade made a huge difference on my P1. It opened my eyes; I never would have thought it could improve the sound so much. It's a Groovetracer; I don't know how the Tango Spinner compares, but there are enough good comments about it that I would be confident. Now you've got me thinking about a PSU.

7. I use a heed orbit PSU with my P3 and it made a huge difference for the good. To the OPO, get rid of that horrible cart. It nearly drove me to giving up on LPs. Many on this forum will agree. I changed the sub platter which also helped but not as much as the PSU. Have fun.

8. Kristofferabild

I upgraded from a Denon DL110 to a Rega Exact and couldn't be happier.

Dan Steele likes this.
  9. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I'm not positive but I don't think a PSU can be used with an RP1 or P1.

10. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Thanks, I'll check that out. (And btw, mine is an RP1, not a P1, as I said before.)

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Pause. Stop. Reflect. There are two ways to go. Upgrade the Planar 3 as suggested. Or trade it in now for the RP6 (or 8).
    Several members think the latter route is the better one of the two. Maybe a better longer term solution.

12. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Mine is an RP1 as well.

13. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

The improved power supply created a purer sine wave, the motor vibrates less. Unwanted vibration in the platter basically means you lose vital musical information - you are retrieving more music from you records: suprising and amazing, isn't it?

The musical improvements you are hearing doesn't suprise me in the least. My favourite upgrade for the Linn LP12 is the Linn Lingo, a turntable power supply: it gives improvements that no arm, or cartridge can ever bring. The Neo is doing the same for your Rega.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  14. Davey

Davey NP: Vanishing Twin ~ Life Drummer (2024)

Agreed, that's certainly a part of it, the original TT-PSU is rated at 2.4% distortion on the 24VAC output, while the NEO is rated at 0.1%, according to specs listed at Rega

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  15. Kristofferabild

I just ordered one :winkgrin:

grbluen and Randoms like this.
  16. Randoms

Let us know what your impressions are.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  17. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Yes, please do as I’m tempted to upgrade the one on my RP8 if it’s deemed worth it.

Randoms and Kristofferabild like this.
  18. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied and good luck to Kristofferabild. I almost thought I was being a bit irrational, but 2.4% to 0.1% and a purer sine wave makes some sense. It still sounds great.

Randoms and Mintsauce like this.
  19. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

20. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I had that issue when I first got my RP8, it’s not obvious when the connector is correctly seated. No issues since I worked it out.

cut-out likes this.
  21. Randoms

I've been sold on improved turntable power supplies since 1990 with the Lingo for the Linn LP12. In simple terms, I believed the LP12 with Lingo and Linn's cheapest arm and cartridge clearly outperformed their top arm and cartridge on a LP12 with Valhalla, an already good turntable power supply.

I tried a Moth Flutter Buster on a Rega Planar 2 back in the early nineties, but the Neo is in a different performance league.

The price of a Neo and new 24v motor imo is cheap for much improved sound and compared to what people are prepared to spend on a cartridge, a bargain. A friend went from TT PSU to Neo on his RP6 and was absolutely delighted. Improvements in every area and no negatives. Singers sound like better singers, musicians like they've taken lessons and bands / orchestras, tighter. Obviously the Hi-Fi things improve too, but the music!

33/45 at a touch of the button, and at long last a Rega running slightly fast can be resolved!

As a turntable power supply isn't glamourous like an expensive cartridge, or new speakers, I'm intrigued if people go for it, and if they do, hear what my friend and I heard a couple of months ago on his RP6 and what enthralled me and many, many more with the Lingo all those years ago.

Edit. See also Rega Neo TTPSU

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Jivy likes this.
  22. mbroeska

mbroeska Forum Resident

Thought I'd share my experience with this. I have an RP3 with the Tangospinner subplatter, Denon DL-110 cart... I had an upgrade itch so borrowed the TTPSU from my dealer. Listened for a week or two and barely heard a difference but eventually decided that when you factor in the convenience of the speed change it was kind of worth it. When I decided to pull the trigger I told him, "It's OK, but considering the small price difference, I'll go for the Neo instead because it couldn't be worse."

Was I ever shocked. The Neo had the sound difference I was expecting with the previous version that I just wasn't hearing as clearly. Audibly it was probably one of the biggest sound improvements I've heard in my system. Timing has always been good as has pitch in my system but everything was just more clear, more silent, more tight. Great purchase.

jgrillo, Mintsauce and Randoms like this.
  23. Randoms

I've only heard the Neo the once on a friend's turntable, where the musical improvements over the TT PSU were very noticeable.

As I said in a previous post, most of my experience with the improvement that turntable power supplies go back to 1990 with the Linn Lingo, where everyone heard large improvements.

@mbroeska, having heard this yourself on a RP3, do you believe, that this upgrade gives musical improvements, such as timing, pitch, detail and dynamics far beyond what a cartridge upgrade can bring? I would be genuinely interested in comparing for example, a RP3 with Neo against a RP6 with TTP PSU.

24. mbroeska

mbroeska Forum Resident

@Randoms I can't fully say which would be the "better" investment if one were to spend equal money on either power supply or cart. For me, my cart isn't ready for upgrade yet so the Neo was the logical purchase.

My dealer is also a good friend of mine so I've heard many combinations of RP3/P3/P6 with their associated power supplies and mostly Dynavector carts. I believe he's currently running a P6 with the Neo and a Dyna 20X2. It's the best I've heard to my ears. It's also a good chunk of change more than what I'm currently running but I also feel that aside from my DL-110, I have no desire to elevate myself to a higher price point of stereo system. The "plateau" I've hit is highly fun and engaging and sounds great to my ears.

grbluen and Randoms like this.
  25. Kristofferabild

I just received mine today and I am also pretty blown away by the improvements! My girlfriend even noticed that voices sound better.
    More transparency, more room, better deeper bass and more details. Everything has been tightened up as well. Great piece of kit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.