Doctor Sleep (The Shining Sequel Film) - November 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

Teaser trailer released earlier today.

Starring Ewan McGregor

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked the music!

MikeInFla likes this.
  3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Cool! I loved the book! Actually would've been cool if they brought back the original Danny actor, although I love Ewan

Here is what the original actor looks like now:
    [​IMG]

Claus LH likes this.
  4. MikeInFla

Funny comment I saw on YouTube:

"Danny Lloyd was offered the role but Tony said no" :cool:

5. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I have the book, which I bought for my mom. She gave it back to me when she was done w/it and I just flipped through it then put it aside. Now I gotta read it. Trailer looks good.

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Are they really going to be able to use footage from the Shining?

7. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Danny isn't here, Mrs. Torrance.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The shots are actually recreations, except for the blood coming out of the elevator.

‘Doctor Sleep’ Director on Recreating Kubrick’s Iconic ‘Shining’ Scenes and Banning Jump Scares

Following the Shining movie, they have the advantage that the Overlook hotel can still exist for Danny to return to, as seen at the end of the trailer. In King’s novel it burned down so in Doctor Sleep he could only return to the site.

9. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...There was a TVM remake of The Shining - no reference to that:laugh:?

10. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I haven’t heard the book even though I’ve read King’s The Shining probably a dozen times. I stopped being able to keep up with his output decades ago. I think I’m going to have to read it soon.

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I started the book and was excited at first, but I got a bad vibe when it started re-using the horrible device King invented for "Dreamcatcher" of people hiding inside their minds. It's really an annoying device and the minute it showed up in "Dr. Sleep" I stop reading. I don't think he's the writer he used to be. Or maybe I'm not the reader I used to be. Or maybe I just know all his tricks at this point.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The director recreated the sets and has recreated shots from The Shining. No word yet as to whether they got a Jack Nicholson lookalike.

The novel Doctor Sleep is a weird one, and a lot of it is about a young teenage girl who has a huge concentration of psychic powers. Basically, a traveling caravan of "psychic vampires" are finding and murdering any and all children who have this kind of energy, and it's up to Danny Lloyd to stop them. The opening chapter has one of the most bloodcurdling murder/torture scenes Stephen King ever wrote, and I'd guarantee the movie won't show it. The book falls into what I'd call the "not terrible/not great" category, and I'm not sure it could make a great film.

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Film ? Looks Kubrick esqe. Thought the book got a bad rap ie not good.

14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I tried to like the book but ultimately did not think it was very good. So I wouldn’t expect much from the movie. I am looking forward to part 2 of “It” however.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The book was my first new King read after a decade of exile (I thought his storytelling was diminishing and wanted to get off the boat before he got any worse) and I was happy to be back. I enjoyed the read but ultimately was unimpressed by the villains. This trailer actually looks like it may be more interesting than the book. I'm a little more interested now. Not expecting much but will give it a look.

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I saw an article somewhere comparing the original and recreated shots side by side. Look really good but of course the new ones are orange and teal.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

So like the Girl(Vic McQueen) in 'NOS4A2' that is the Book written by King's Son, Joe Hill(and now an AMC Series)? Actually, Psychic Powers was commonly used in several of King's Books/Characters besides 'The Shining'(Carrie, The Dead Zone among others).

18. googlymoogly

It seems I like "Doctor Sleep" better than many of you. It haunted me enough to prompt me to re-read it, which is a pretty good sign something in a book or a song or film has dug into me.

19. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

I wouldn't want to have to follow Kubrick. Recreating? Yikes.

Sandorelli, Graham and Ghostworld like this.
  20. MikeInFla

I liked the book as well. Like some others I had not read a King book in a long time. I also read and enjoyed 11/22/63. Looking forward to this movie.

googlymoogly likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think 11/22/63 was his best book in the last 20 years. Dr. Sleep wasn't terrible, but it wasn't nearly at that level.

22. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

I have 11/22/63 sitting on a shelf. I sort of petered out around chapter 3. Is it really worth finishing?

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

REDRUM....
    REDRUM...
    REDRUM

googlymoogly likes this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I had not read any King in 20+ years. A woman I worked with insisted I read it, over and over. I was not disappointed. The funny thing was by the time I read it, I had left the company and so did she so I could never thank her.

I do not think we need lots of scenes of The Shining to make this work. Some quick flashbacks and lets move on. The dead 'cocaine girl' was scary enough in his backstory And where's that damned hat that gave me the willies??!

googlymoogly likes this.
  25. googlymoogly

Dan using his shining gift to contact Dick Halloran in the afterlife (or wherever he was) is something from the book that really stuck with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.