Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply. Let's say that the seller did make a copy on his/her computer. If he sells a buyer the physical media, there will be 2 exact copies of the performances in existence where beforehand there was only one. And you're saying the Ebay buyer could make a copy on his/her computer, and then sell the physical media once again. And on and on, till there are dozens of exact copies of the performances.

Seems strange, but, as you say, I'm probably coming at this from the wrong angle. Analogous to buying a new book, scan all pages to my computer, and then reselling the book... Ugh, hard to wrap my mind around.

I know, this thread is about mega boxes, not copyright laws. I withdraw the question, your Honor. :)

2. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I certainly understand your question, but what’s to stop us then from considering every resale a potential fraud? You don’t know what anyone’s been doing with their CDs before reselling them on the second hand market. It quickly becomes an exercise in futility. :)

Jayseph, Simon A and Max Florian like this.
  3. cdgenarian

Of course, that is absolutely correct. I guess what stopped me here was the actual "admission" (if that was what it was) that, prior to resale, the ripping software had been used to create a personal copy.

Maybe that is the way to go --> 1. purchase 2. rip 3. sell. :)

4. crispi

As I said. You don’t need to actually make a copy in order to check for errors, so it’s a bit presumptuous to equate it to an “admission”. Of course we all assume that he probably did make a copy, but you pointing it out publicly and us talking about it will probably prevent the seller from ever doing that again. And that is actually a pity, since it is a great service toward the buyer.

Robert C likes this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The legal issue isn't with the purchaser of the second-hand set but with the vendor. You don't sign a EULA when you buy a CD but there's always been a presumption that you can't hold an archived digital copy of a disc that you no longer own. It's moot though because the cost of recovering this money is prohibitive and must be done on a disc by disc basis.

crispi likes this.
  6. Papageno

Papageno Forum Resident

Wilhelm Backhaus - The Complete Decca Recordings (39CD)

[​IMG]

1-8. Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 1-32 (mono)
    9. Beethoven: Diabelli-Variationen op. 120
    10-11. Beethoven: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 2-5 (mono)
    12-13. Brahms: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1 & 2
    14. Brahms: Cellosonaten Nr. 1 & 2
    15. Chopin: Ballade Nr. 1; Klaviersonate Nr. 2; Etüden Nr. 2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 13-15, 18-20, 23; Mazurken Nr. 17, 20, 24; Walzer Nr. 2
    16. Schubert: Moments musicaux D. 780
    17. Schumann; Waldszenen op. 82 ; Warum op. 12 Nr. 3
    18. Bach: Englische Suite BWV 811; Französische Suite BWV 816
    19-26. Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 1-32 (stereo)
    27-29. Beethoven: Klavierkonzerte Nr. 1-5 (stereo)
    30. Brahms: Klavierkonzert Nr. 2; Balladen op. 10 Nr. 1 & 2; Walzer op. 39 Nr. 1-16; Ungarische Tänze Nr. 6 & 7
    31. Haydn: Klaviersonaten H16 Nr. 34, 48, 52; Fantasie H17 Nr. 4; Andante & Variationen H17 Nr. 6
    32. Mendelssohn: Rondo capriccioso op. 14; Lieder ohne Worte op. 62 (Auszüge)
    33. Mozart: Klavierkonzert Nr. 27; Klaviersonaten Nr. 4, 5, 10-12; Rondo a-moll
    34. Schumann: Klavierkonzert op. 54
    35. Schubert: Impromptu D. 935 Nr. 3; Valses nobles; Liszt: Soirees de Vienne Nr. 6 a-moll
    36-37. "Carnegie Hall Recital 1954" - Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 8, 17, 25, 26, 32; Haydn: Klaviersonaten H16 Nr. 34, 48, 52; Fantasie C-Dur H17 Nr. 4; Schumann: Warum op. 12 Nr. 3; Vogel als Prophet op. 82 Nr. 7; Brahms: Intermezzo op. 119 Nr. 3; Chopin: Etüde Nr. 14: Liszt / Busoni: Valse-caprice a-moll; Schubert: Impromptus D. 935 Nr. 2 & 3; Mozart: Alla turca aus Klaviersonate Nr. 11
    38-39. "Last Recital" - Beethoven: Klaviersonaten Nr. 18 "Die Jagd" & Nr. 21 "Waldstein"; Schubert: Moments musicaux D. 780; Impromptu D. 935 Nr. 2; Mozart: Alla turca aus Klaviersonate Nr. 11; Schumann: Fantasiestücke op. 12 Nr. 1 & 3

Artists: Wilhelm Backhaus, Pierre Fournier, Wiener Philharmoniker, Clemens Krauss, Karl Böhm, Carl Schuricht, Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt, Günter Wand
    Label: Decca, ADD
    Order number: 9275187
    Release date: 6.9.2019

Wilhelm Backhaus - The Complete Decca Recordings (39 CDs) – jpc

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Got the Japanese mono Beethoven Sonatas set last year and a Backhaus Brahms Decca set last month. Had I known Universal would release a complete Backhaus Decca set I would have waited. Oh well.

John DeAngelis likes this.
  8. ClassicalCD

ClassicalCD Make audio great again

Now this is something worth getting.

crispi likes this.
  9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Wow! I too will be all over this since I missed the big Japan Backhaus Edition box. I've listened to his mono Beethoven cycle four times all the way through now.

John DeAngelis and crispi like this.
  10. crispi

It’s been many months, maybe even years since I’ve ever been interested in a mega set like I am in this one.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  11. cdgenarian

:cry: Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I'll say no more on this.

12. crispi

Oh, you definitely didn't offend me, Sir. I just wanted to point out some things from my perspective. :wave:

13. likes2listen2beethoven

likes2listen2beethoven Forum Resident

14. likes2listen2beethoven

hvbias - From your avatar, it looks like you are a Radiohead fan. Have you seen the "megabox" download of "Minidiscs [Hacked]" on bandcamp. ?

hvbias likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This set has been discussed here a while ago. Some like it, others not so much because of the "ambient" effect of the mastering. Maybe @crispi and @hvbias can say something about it.

16. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I'm really tempted at that price, but part of me is having a bit of a problem given the provenance. I know the performances are unique and unmissable - I've heard many before in inferior sound. I'm not asking to relitigate the issues of Furtwangler's conduct during the war (which I think was ultimately within the bounds of acceptability given the horrible situation he was in), but these are Nazi recordings - the orchestra's Jewish members had been fired (and worse), and the recording was subsidized by the Nazis for the purpose of shoring up morale. The orchestra was complicit in the Nazi regime - are they doing anything with the proceeds of this set to recognize that?

bluemooze and Imagine70 like this.
  17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I did, thanks. I have listened to around 4-5 hours of the leaks and still enjoying them. My avatar is artwork someone from Reddit made for the leaked files.

18. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

In 2007 members of the orchestra offered recognition and disclosure in the form of collaboration on a film and a book about that era. Both have titles that include the words "Das Reichorchester". More at Reichsorchester | Berliner Philharmoniker .

A Blu-ray of the film is pretty cheap right now at amazon.de and has subtitles in multiple languages; might be worth the time and expense for someone who wants to know more.

19. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Thanks - I actually have the film and it's sobering. I didn't mean to sidetrack the thread, and I don't think the BPO has a continuing obligation to do penance in its current activities otherwise, but these recordings are a peculiar thing and I think a recognition of that would be appropriate - be it by donating a portion of the proceeds or something else reasonably appropriate.

Carlos Bejeeber and Imagine70 like this.
  20. radiomd2000

radiomd2000 Forum Resident

The ArkivMusic sale likes2listen2beethoven mentioned has overcome my resistance to bringing another box into the house — a resistance that in this case as you can probably guess from my avatar wasn't all that formidable to begin with.

If there's interest in a summary of what the accompanying book discusses about that era and in whether there is any mention of considerations of the sort you suggest, I can follow up after I take delivery.

21. Carlos Bejeeber

Carlos Bejeeber Forum Resident

Thank you gents for raising this aspect of these performances. I often think of the text to Schubert's An Die Musik, about music transporting us to a better world -- but life in the 20th and 21st centuries has been, er, pretty complicated, hasn't it, and ubertrout you say it very well about these recordings being a peculiar thing. I guess the "better world" is actually pretty often intertwined with this world.

Anyway back on more of the main road for this forum, I'm happy to have this set waiting for me on the shelf, but I confess to not having reached listening to it yet. Ditto with the Audite RIAS set. (We should coin a handy word for sets that we have this relationship with, like some people have coined words for french fries that have fallen into the bottom of the bag. . . . Any suggestions?) Prior experience with e.g. Furtwangler's 1942 Beethoven Ninth on an M&A disc have really stayed with me, so I'm looking forward to these new sets and to hearing more reports (and I've appreciated the reports upthread in the past)! Cheerio.

ubertrout, radiomd2000 and crispi like this.
  22. DEVA

DEVA Forum Resident

"boxasset" ?

radiomd2000 and Carlos Bejeeber like this.
  23. likes2listen2beethoven

ArkivMusic changed their plans and are only offering the Furtwangler BPO set through midnight tonight for anyone interested.

I decided to go for it. They are historical recordings either way you look at them.

Carlos Bejeeber likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

25. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Good experience considering their "unique" sets. Just be aware of that the shipping costs are about 30% (or so) of the actual price of the boxes. As long as you know about the increase you will be fine. It threw me at first. They determine the shipping based on weight after you place the order so the actual shipping cost is somewhat unpredictable. It is worth it as long as long as you are aware of the extra charge (~30%) on your credit card. They ship quickly and in great packaging.

ClassicalCD likes this.